Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for early Bay steering column near NH
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Looking for early Bay steering column near NH Reply with quote

I have a '74 bus but it has a busted, supposedly kinda rare turn signal switch, a funky ignition, a busted horn and a few other issues.

I would like a complete column setup out of a '68-'71, complete with steering wheel, disconnected at the steering box and the two screws/bolts that hold the ignition unit to the dash.

I am willing to come pull the unit myself. Bonus points for ignition key and windshield wiper switch from Dash.

If you have any leads, please let me know. I am near Lebanon NH.

Dave
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for early Bay steering column near NH Reply with quote

you know the turn signal switch is rebuildable? 50 bucks in 3d printed internals.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for early Bay steering column near NH Reply with quote

Have you tried John's across the river in Westminster, VT? They had lots of stuff when I was there several weeks ago.
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for early Bay steering column near NH Reply with quote

The turn signal switch is may be rebuildable, but I don't have a 3d printer and as mentioned in my OP, there are other issues with the column/ignition/horn. Truth be told, I have a 73 parts bus with a functional unit, but I have been advised that the early bay replacement would be better if I can find one.

If the magic column was out there, I suspect the 4-6 bolts I need to remove and replace will be the easiest way about this. I could even paint it pretty and JB the cracks in the steering wheel while it was out.

I called John but he said he didn't have any as crazy as that may sound.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for early Bay steering column near NH Reply with quote

Try Reggie’s in Waterford Me (about 30 minutes west of Gorham).

tel:207-583-2554
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for early Bay steering column near NH Reply with quote

Shinnlinger wrote:
The turn signal switch is may be rebuildable, but I don't have a 3d printer and as mentioned in my OP, there are other issues with the column/ignition/horn. Truth be told, I have a 73 parts bus with a functional unit, but I have been advised that the early bay replacement would be better if I can find one.

If the magic column was out there, I suspect the 4-6 bolts I need to remove and replace will be the easiest way about this. I could even paint it pretty and JB the cracks in the steering wheel while it was out.

I called John but he said he didn't have any as crazy as that may sound.

you buy them premade. links on here, somewhere. Any column you may find with the blinker switch still attached may add a couple hundred in cost. They are quite hard to find.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for early Bay steering column near NH Reply with quote

69-71 columns use a different bracket and mounting point on the dash. They are not easily adapted.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for early Bay steering column near NH Reply with quote

Why do you want the earlier year steering column? It won't fit your '74.

I recently parted a 1974 Westy, and I have the entire steering column, from bottom to steering wheel.

This includes the ignition switch, and if you want to keep all your locks the same, I even have the full matching handle set for the bus.

This can be shipped. I pack well. After all "NH" and "NM" are pretty close to each other in the alphabet. Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
macbones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for early Bay steering column near NH Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Why do you want the earlier year steering column? It won't fit your '74.

I recently parted a 1974 Westy, and I have the entire steering column, from bottom to steering wheel.

This includes the ignition switch, and if you want to keep all your locks the same, I even have the full matching handle set for the bus.

This can be shipped. I pack well. After all "NH" and "NM" are pretty close to each other in the alphabet. Smile

I'm looking for a turn signal for a 1974 Westy - my mechanic says it's very specific, only for the the 1974. is your still available? Or...does anyone have a link to the 3D print plans/data? I know a couple people with 3D printers...

Thanks,
Pat
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for early Bay steering column near NH Reply with quote

good luck

1 year only switch assy for that and the wipers

best bet is to backdate it as long as your dash has the cutout for the earlier pod. if you have the later dash without a cutout for the pod you can use a later column

either way it requires some wiring. IF and i mean IF you find a turn signal switch you are going to pay thru the ass for a used one, and you'll pay thru your ass x10 for a NOS one.

last NOS one i saw for sale was a few years ago here and the seller was asking 500 bux. it was sold the next day

anything used will be blown up. some have repaired them but it's not easy and no guarantee it will last. the guts blow out and basically make it so you can't toggle the switch in any position

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: