Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Right signal blows fuses
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

Everything electrical on my 76 westy was working fine. I had a problem with the horn beeping while turning the wheels . I took the steering wheel off and cleaned the contacts. All good.
Now only when I turn on the right signal the fuse blows. I pulled the green black wire off the emergency switch and the fuse didnt blow. THEN I pulled on the emerg switch and that fuse blew.
How do I trace the problem.? Naturally I associate the problem with removing the steering wheel but a never touched the turn signal mechanism. Help, Im running out of fuses

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

just reaching, but is your hazzard switch box doing ok? they pop open and cause lots of funky gremlins. A zip tie will solve things, unless it popped fully open and dropped parts.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

Make one of these:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

using a headlight bulb, bulb socket, some wire, and a couple of alligator clips, all from your local FLAPS.

Remove the blown fuse, and clip this test light across the fuse holder prongs. If there's a short, the headlight bulb will light up brightly. Wiggle wires and play with connections until the headlight bulb dims. The short lies in the area of the last thing you wiggled. Find short; fix short. Replace fuse. All is good.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

something I came across recently which might possibly help was where I had tidied up wires out of the way lifted another wire somewhere else. On this was a tiny bit of exposed wire between the crimp and the wire insulation on terminals behind the dash. This was making occasional contact (and shorting/blowing fuse) with the 2 metal bars that ( behind the dash clocks) so if you take the binnacle out with the clocks you will see your levers to let air flow get around, just there, 2 exposed support bars.
I looked for a pic but i don't have any but its easy enough to see once dash is out.

My exposed wire (the tiny gap between the insulated terminal and the insulated wire) were occasionally touching these and affected indicators and/or wipers, took ages to locate. I didn't need much of a nudge to rewire as it was a mess and I made sure to insulated those metal bars.

If I had shrink-wrap I should have used that but electrical tape is ok to use to insulate.

Taking off the dash isn't difficult but probably worth doing as 50+ years things get loose and its probably something tiny that you can't initially see in the area you are working.

PG

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

does anyone have the wiring diagram for the emergency 4 way flasher unit for 1976? The green wire leading to the unit is the culprit and since I replaced the unit during restoration I want to make sure the wires are on the right terminals
thanks

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

Hazard switch is E3, current tracks 44-49:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_1975.jpg

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

Thanks so far.
Fuse no. 8 and 11 blow
I've tried to isolate which wire is the trouble
It doesn't seem to be the flasher unit, new emergency switch .
I've check for shorts in the signal switch...even the galley light above the sink. Argggh

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

Did you match colors to terminal numbers when you installed the switch?, or just stick them where the old wires went?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

BD: I found a illustration and the wire placement is correct. Everything worked before I
fiddled with the steering shaft to correct the grounded horn.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

Well...., maybe you pinched a wire on the column, if the LH signal works it's got to be an issue with the black/green wire. Perhaps start by disconnecting both light fixtures on that side and see if it still does it, if yes then move on to the column or under the dash, if it stops then the problem is in one of the lights, reconnect one at a time until you find the issue. Telford's headlight bulb trick is a great way to diagnose shorts with out depleting your fuse stocks.

Слава Україні!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

Thanks BD
I did ,just now, find a shinner under the turn signal mechanism causing the horn to honk randomly. Nothing else looked suspicious.
My engineer brother came over. He found the emergency switch wired correctly and the switch operating properly. Tomorrow is another day...

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

Well the honking horn is caused by the brass/copper contact mounted to the turn signal mechanism. The fuse blowing is anybodys guess but it all works now. Thanks guys.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

So I was having the same issue. The turn signal/horn fuse kept blowing but it was intermittent for awhile then became immediate. Today I resolved to troubleshoot the problem and made up the headlight test light and determined it blew only when the right turn signal was switched on. I couldn’t find anything initially so I took the dash panel out and there it was ... my long lost fresh air vent knob retaining clip resting on the flasher relay.

Apparently after shifting around it came to its final resting place shorting out the right turn signal. I just left all the clips out when putting the dash back together.
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Right signal blows fuses Reply with quote

So I was having the same issue. The turn signal/horn fuse kept blowing but it was intermittent for awhile then became immediate. Today I resolved to troubleshoot the problem and made up the headlight test light and determined it blew only when the right turn signal was switched on. I couldn’t find anything initially so I took the dash panel out and there it was ... my long lost fresh air vent knob retaining clip resting on the flasher relay.

Apparently after shifting around it came to its final resting place shorting out the right turn signal. I just left all the clips out when putting the dash back together.
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: