Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine number help please.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brothernumberone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

Hi. My ‘66 split came with what I thought was a standard early bay engine, with the ancillaries from a 1500 swapped over but i’ve just started to clean it and realised the engine number doesn’t match bay ones. It’s defo a bus case because it’s got the engine bar mounts. Also, it’s a while since I’ve stripped one down, but is the piston number correct for a 1600?
Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

I’m going to assume universal replacement case.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
brothernumberone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

Ah, thanks. I wondered if it might be something like that. Whoever swapped the bits over assembled them wrong as the arrows on the pistons are pointing towards the pulley rather than the flywheel. With this in mind I thought i’d just stick a set of 1600 barrels and pistons on instead. Will this be ok with 1500 ancillaries?
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

Shouldn't be a problem, I'd put some calipers on those cylinders, they might be 85.5mm already. While that case is certainly bay, the serial number is correct for an early 1965, 1500 equipped bus. Interesting.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

That case looks like a '68ish case. You can tell when it was cast by looking at the date codes on the case behind the flywheel.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

Probably a dealer replacement case and they restamped to original case number
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
brothernumberone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

The plot thickens. The barrels are 84mm ID and type 3 apparently. Engine case production numbers also I think

FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

That serial number would also be correct for early 1965 type 3 and type 34, or probably anything else that got the 1500 engine around that time. Who knows what life these engines lived before.

If I'm reading it right, and I'm no expert, it looks like that case was cast on the fourth (4) of July (7) third shift, 1968 (38 ) and on the nineteenth (19) of June (6) second shift, 1968 (28 ).
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

brothernumberone wrote:
The plot thickens. The barrels are 84mm ID and type 3 apparently. Engine case production numbers also I think

The case is 1968, but that I could tell that from it's shape. The cylinders have a 311 parts number because that size was first used on a type 3, but they were eventually used across the model lines. That is the way VW parts numbers work.

This is simply a bus engine that got a new 1968 case and a restamped engine number.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brothernumberone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. So they’re just standard 1500 pistons and rings then? If so, they’re getting a new set of rings and bore hone.
Thanks to everyone else for advice 👍
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

If the pistons were installed and run backwards you'll want to do some serious measuring before re using them, there's likely some really odd wear on the skirts.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
brothernumberone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number help please. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
If the pistons were installed and run backwards you'll want to do some serious measuring before re using them, there's likely some really odd wear on the skirts.

I should have mentioned earlier, that was my mistake, I must have turned the engine round without thinking before photographing it. They’re in the right way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: