Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Current 16” Tire Options ex: Michelin Defenders
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
northband
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Current 16” Tire Options ex: Michelin Defenders Reply with quote

I ordered some 16” alloy wheels from GoWesty so now looking to purchase my tires. Looking through the forum it seems a lot of the recommended options are dated so curious what people are using.

Per GoWesty I’d like to get some Michelin Defenders but noticed their weight rating was 98 vs 102 so am a bit hesitant. Anyone running these with a westy fully loaded?

I have an 86 Westy with an EJ22 and am putting Schwenk springs, 16” wheels so would like to put on some 215/65/16.

What’s everyone running given the above specs?
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Current 16” Tire Options ex: Michelin Defenders Reply with quote

I've been running the same tires you mentioned on 4 GW alloys. Over a year now. Great tire in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
northband
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Current 16” Tire Options ex: Michelin Defenders Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply - I'm leaning towards the Michelins as I've had good results with them on other cars but was concerned about the load rating.
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Current 16” Tire Options ex: Michelin Defenders Reply with quote

I've been running 205/70-14 Defenders on the original alloys. I have over 50k miles on them and without measuring, still have 50% tread left. Great tire in the rain. Can't say about snow as we spend winter in FL.
northband
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Current 16” Tire Options ex: Michelin Defenders Reply with quote

I have heard they're great for water but not so much winter, which is fine as I store the westy for the winter to avoid salt.

I most likely will go with the Defenders, I just want to make sure that a 98H tire is safe for the Westy under load.

Here's my current contenders:
Michelin DEFENDER T+H - SIZE: 215/65R16 Load: 98
Hankook KINERGY ST SIZE: 215/65R16 Load: 98
Hankook KINERGY 4S2 - SIZE: 215/65R16 Load: 102
Continental 4X4 CONTACT - SIZE: 215/65R16 Load: 102
Bridgestone ECOPIA H/L 422 PLUS - SIZE: 215/65R16 Load: 102
Kumho CRUGEN HT51 - SIZE: 215/65R16 Load: 102

Last edited by northband on Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outlaw912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Current 16” Tire Options ex: Michelin Defenders Reply with quote

I have had 215 75 15 michelin defender ltx m/s for over a year now>Great in all conditions,deep tread, make the ride super plush

1987 westfalia weighed last year 4260 lbs
northband
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Current 16” Tire Options ex: Michelin Defenders Reply with quote

I think the problem is they may have stopped making the LTX in favor of the L + H which has a load rating of 98 vs. 102. I could be wrong, but that seems to be what I'm finding on the web.

I have seen some comparisons of the Kumho CRUGEN HT51 to Michelin LTX M/S. I'm kind of leaning towards these:

I see GoWesty sells this breand at a lighter load rating. The Crugen has a 102 load rating and a tread pattern like the LTX M/S so seems like a possible good replacement.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Current 16” Tire Options ex: Michelin Defenders Reply with quote

northband wrote:
I think the problem is they may have stopped making the LTX in favor of the L + H which has a load rating of 98 vs. 102. I could be wrong, but that seems to be what I'm finding on the web.

I have seen some comparisons of the Kumho CRUGEN HT51 to Michelin LTX M/S. I'm kind of leaning towards these:

I see GoWesty sells this breand at a lighter load rating. The Crugen has a 102 load rating and a tread pattern like the LTX M/S so seems like a possible good replacement.

I’m running the Crugens on my Westy and O5 Ford Ranger. Great in the rain. An XL (Extra-load) tire with a high psi range (I think 50psi, can check tomorrow).

While they are a highway tread, they are pretty blocky. I have not ran them off road on anything but a gravel road, but they could possibly be a great sand tire.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Current 16” Tire Options ex: Michelin Defenders Reply with quote

The Joker Syncro I'm TDI swapping just got 215/70R16 Toyo AT3 Open Country tires on 16" ET33 Mercedes steel rims. They had to be special ordered from Les Schwab.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: