Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question on new Webcam billett camshaft
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjamesohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Question on new Webcam billett camshaft Reply with quote

I'm rebuilding my motor over the next 2 weeks; couldn't find a new OEM cam but Webcam was recommended as a source for a brand new billet piece.

Reading through install notes and they state the warranty is voided unless you use THEIR lifters. I’ve got a barely used set of new OEM lifters that I would presume would bed in nicely with the assembly lube I use. Cant imagine what the difference in metallurgy would be...

Anyone already gone down this path? Did you use stock lifters or pay the ransom for their expensive "performance" lifters?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Question on new Webcam billett cam Reply with quote

I have no experience with that specific company.

Because each lobe pushes two lifters, the VW boxer engines are particularly prone to chewing up cams. It seems entirely reasonable that someone selling a camshaft would void the warranty if new lifters were not purchased from them to go with the cam. It also seems like false economy to me to install a 'barely used' set of lifters with a new cam.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on new Webcam billett cam Reply with quote

Most likely you would be okay, but this is one of those YMMV kinds of things. You should check and if necessary polish the thrust bearing surfaces on the new Web cam as some have had problems with them being rough and taking out the cam thrust bearings. There are some pretty good explanation about doing this on the Bay Window forum.

What was wrong with your old cam? Could you have it reground? Don't hear much about people having cam problems with them on the WBXer motors, unlike the Type 4 engines in particular.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on new Webcam billett cam Reply with quote

FWIW the Web Shafts I have checked.. while not awful.. were definitely no better than any of the other cam grinders. In fact, each lobe (intake\intake and exhaust\exhaust) were different enough that I questioned overall timing. YMMV

J
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: