Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

I'll be installing all new coolant hoses from front to back on my 68K OG mile '87 Automatic trans Westfalia. I'm installing new S.S. main coolant hoses, a new radiator, a new SS coolant junction tower, new SS coolant pressure tank and few new SS pipe fittings, a new thermostat housing/thermostat/thermostat top, etc. We are also dropping the fuel tank to re-seal with the GW vent crossover kit.

My questions while getting ready to tackle all of this is what assorted lubricants, cream or aerosol, can be used (or none?) to safely slide all of the new coolant hoses over their various barbed fittings? Also, what lubricants can be safely used when installing that GW fuel tank vent grommets/seals kit? I've seen in the GW install videos that they brush or wipe on a sort of white grease all over the grommets when installing them into the tank holes and then on the plastic fittings that insert into those grommets to help lubricate the process and help seal. Are there any other suggested greases/lubricants, etc that I should have on hand to use for this upcoming work. Any tips and product suggestions would be very helpful for a more successful refresh. Thanks in advance for your advice and explanations!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

I will often start with WD40.

For coolant hoses you can use soap and for gas hoses Vaseline will usually work. Spray silicone or other dry lubricants can be used in many places as well.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

I use silicone spray lube. It's very effective and I'm told that it doesn't damage rubber.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

On the fuel tank grommets I use Sylglide. It is a silicone grease. Not too much! The Coolant hoses probably need no lube but if they do should should use a little coolant on them. Coolant is slippery. To push the fuel hose onto the smooth plastic tube as far as possible gasoline would be the best lubricant.

I would recommend that you stick with the plastic vent pipe above the tank. The reproduction ones work well. I have had leakage problems with the hose and aluminum ones. The plastic ones keep the barbed fitting perpendicular to the tank. Therefore no side load on the grommet.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

Spit..

seriously a little saliva goes a long ways..

but if not it's either WD40 or a silicone spray..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Spit..

seriously a little saliva goes a long ways..

yeah, this

or a quick spray of simple green/diluted dish soap/etc

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

brake or carb clean. evaporates fast, slick as snot and won't seep into other fluids because it evaporates. also doesn't stay slick so no possibility of a hose popping off

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

I would hesitate to apply WD-40 to coolant hoses, at least those such as the originals made of EPDM rubber.

Whether true or not, WD-40 has been rumored to contain diesel fuel, which is known to be very detrimental to EPDM rubber. The original Diesel Vanagon Owner's Manual specifically warns against this.

What IS known, and stated by the makers, is that WD-40 contains 50% mineral spirits, which is listed as having a "Severe Effect" on EPDM:
https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/

More info on what should and should not be used on EPDM rubber:
https://www.matsmatsmats.com/commercial-industrial/epdm-resistance-to-chemicals.html

Personally, I've never had excessive trouble connecting quality hoses to their intended fittings, and I wonder about the need for any such aids. In fact, it seems that such a critical connection, where a failure could have catastrophic results, is the LAST place one might want any kind of lubricant ...

FYI, on the exhaustive chart linked above, Salad Dressings are listed as N/A, so that's probably out, too ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

I used nothing for my coolant hose replacement and no issues for 10 years EXCEPT for the "peace pipe" that connects to the water pump. I eventually put some anaerobic sealer on that connection (I forget the brand) and it didn't work any better. Turns out the hose was malformed and new hose fixed that problem.

I used nothing on my fuel hoses and they also worked fine for 10 years. So I did that again this spring when I replaced them again.

The fuel tank. If I remember correctly, I used Vaseline. The grommets haven't leaked in 10 years (man, I was busy 10 years ago) but the evap hoses themselves are ALL leaking now which seems odd but unrelated to the grommets.

So, IMHO, it doesn't really matter.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

Dish soap has worked many times for me. At the worst you might get a soap bubble out the exhaust! Really though it dries up and you do not have a conitinously slippery hose and it will dilute itself and wash away.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

remember that like dissolves like. so silicone lube on rubber, and petroleum lube on silicone hoses/o-rings.

for coolant hoses, i like Ru-Glyde tire lube or just some antifreeze mix. but if the hose is going onto an aluminum fitting that may corrode and turn chalky, i like Sil-Glyde, a silicone based lube. fuel lines, if i MUST use it, i like Sil-Glyde. but it makes them so slippery there must be a flare to keep them on the fitting. keeps corrosion down tho.

on something like a rubber fuel line onto the rigid, non flared plastic lines you want as high a coefficient of friction as possible so dry or some spit if necessary.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

Enamel spay paint(or primer) works great.
It eventually dries, doesn't degrade the material, and may even help seal.

Learned this while putting new grips on handlebars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

Chevy makes a great product for all Van hose lube called AstroGlide
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Enamel spay paint(or primer) works great.
It eventually dries, doesn't degrade the material, and may even help seal.

Learned this while putting new grips on handlebars.

I was just about to post this tip.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

I used to use silicone spray on coolant hoses until I had a comeback. The hose came off and the clamp was tight. How tight? Tight enough I could not get it back on. Never again. Man up and shove it on dry.

O rings? Lube them up.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Chevy makes a great product for all Van hose lube called AstroGlide

Does not attack a rubber.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

[quote="Abscate"]Chevy makes a great product for all Van hose lube called AstroGlide[/quote It had to be you.....It had to be you...I wandered around, and I finally found, The somebody who could make me be true...... Razz Razz Razz Razz ]
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

I do the same as wildthings.

I have the greasyist Vaseline jar you have ever seen.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

Okay, now that I'm done teasing Abscate for that 'glide' comment. Wink Wink

I sometimes use Spray Silicone as noted by others, and if it's a really hard to fit hose, NAPA Sil-Glyde. Generally, the spray silicone works 99% of the time though.

WD-40 would not be my choice for this application, or Brake Cleaner since it evaporates so fast, but, stuff like Brake Cleaner has been recommended by BMW in the past for installing suspensions bushings into control arms and other parts since it does evap quickly. I think they were also okay with Naptha back in the day too. These days, I don't know.... Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

I am another one on the silicone spray bandwagon.
It has worked just fine for me and does not react with most things.

Windex is also another good choice.

Sometimes a good puff of compressed air will also do the trick

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: