Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine? Reply with quote

Hi! I'm new to this group and I wanted to know what problems I may have and what to avoid with boring out the cylinders in a Subaru 2.2l block in order to install 2.5l pistons. I understated this is a way to increase the HP in the 2.2l block that is CARB-compliant in CA, but what problems does this bring about in the block that I should know abour,

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine? Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

I can't help but wonder if you will get better answers from a Subaru forum?

Yes, we have members running Subaru engines but wonder how many get into customizing them?

Good luck, I hope someone has an answer for you.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine? Reply with quote

Hi!

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my post. I wanted to ask Vanagon owners who may have bored out a Subaru 2.2l block to see what problems they ran into after installing the block in their Vanagons. I have a 1990 Vanagon GL Westy.

Also, what additional components may I need to install (e.g., starter, cooling system) with a bored-out 2.2l block?

Thanks!
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine? Reply with quote

I think you would be better off trying to sneak by a 2.5 short block with all your 2.2 components intack. Search for ej22 Frankenmotor if you are unfamiliar with that combination.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine? Reply with quote

^^^ agreed

there is no way I would bore an engine from 96.9mm to 99.6mm. That's 2.7mm or about .106"! That's a ton of metal. The cylinder walls of the 2.5L and 2.2L engine should be the same in stock trim and by removing .053" from each side of the wall you're just asking for trouble. the wall thickness for the 2.5 is made up on the water jacket side....meaning the cylinders are thicker overall to handle the 99.6 pistons

Regardless if you have a Subaru 2.0L, 2.2L, or 2.5L, the blocks are all different. A 2.5L doesn't start out life as a 2.2L engine. The casting is completely different. Subaru says that the 2.5L is a bored and stroked 2.2L because in essence, it is. But that doesn't mean that they take an actual 2.2L block and bore it out to 2.5L. It means that the engines share the same basic outside components and dimensions.

If you want to stroke your motor I would suggest using a 2.5l crank and custom pistons (if you want to bump compression or go monster hybrid turbo otherwise stock 2.2 pistons and rods will work) to make a 2.4L stroker motor

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

I can't help but wonder if you will get better answers from a Subaru forum?

Yes, we have members running Subaru engines but wonder how many get into customizing them?

Good luck, I hope someone has an answer for you.

Dave

I have a TDI engine in my van. This is not where I come for technical info on the TDI engine. There's nothing van specific in the OP's request.

[brknrecord]This is precisely why this site needs a sub-section just for engine swaps. This stuff doesn't belong in a chassis specific section.[/brknrecord]

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine? Reply with quote

This is why I keep the ole 1.9 wbx... if I want a bigger bore I pitch the old ones in the scarp pile and buy bigger ones!!!

For the life of me I will never understand the love affair vanagon owners have with those subaru engines, wbx engines are sleeved like the diesels we have in our semi trucks, we can run those wbx engines forever if we want to, no boring needed!
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine? Reply with quote

A more "cost efficient" strategy. Replace the block assembly with an EJ257 , reuse your rebuilt 2.2 heads. How about the casting that says 2.2? Simple, really, carefully grind the 2.5 off of the new case nice and flat. Cut the 2.2 from a junk case then make the backside flat and smooth. JBweld your nice 2.2 onto the prepared 2.5 case and Viola a CARB 2.2 engine. Shapeways will also 3D print a nice aluminium replica of the "ej 2.2" badge if so desired.
Or so I have heard....
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine? Reply with quote

SoquelDude wrote:
Hi! I'm new to this group and I wanted to know what problems I may have and what to avoid with boring out the cylinders in a Subaru 2.2l block in order to install 2.5l pistons. I understated this is a way to increase the HP in the 2.2l block that is CARB-compliant in CA, but what problems does this bring about in the block that I should know abour,

Thanks!

I would follow skills advice
what he lacks in people skille he 1000x makes up in helpfullness and knowledge
No off offence skills Very Happy
Rear discs
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine? Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
A more "cost efficient" strategy. Replace the block assembly with an EJ257 , reuse your rebuilt 2.2 heads. How about the casting that says 2.2? Simple, really, carefully grind the 2.5 off of the new case nice and flat. Cut the 2.2 from a junk case then make the backside flat and smooth. JBweld your nice 2.2 onto the prepared 2.5 case and Viola a CARB 2.2 engine. Shapeways will also 3D print a nice aluminium replica of the "ej 2.2" badge if so desired.
Or so I have heard....

Hey that's a good one. I did some part number grinding on a circle track manifold once for a guy , the numbers were inside the thing below where the carb would go and it was basically a cheat he was doing to use an illegal manifold in his race class.
I have no involvement in racing so I just did what he wanted for some pizza money.

Having said that, I haven't seen this part of the subi block so I wonder why not add some weld material where you carve off the numbers and carve new numbers from the weld material ? One could use a needle scaler to fake the texture of the casting once it's done.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What problems would I have boring out a Subaru 2.2l engine? Reply with quote

No welding! Risk of heat distortion or worse. Same amount of grinding either way. I hear the ej22 logos are free at pick and pull if you bring your own hacksaw.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: