Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

i want to put a 2180cc performance turnkey engine with a carburetor in my fuel injected 1979 super beetle convertible that i plan to buy in the near future along with a benco transmission but i'm not sure if it is possible to put that type of engine in the car along with the fact that i've been told that i can't put in anything other than a 1600cc or else i won't pass the smog test. now, i am a 17yo that is living with their parents and has no technical expertise whatsoever... so i plan to have a shop do the job for me but i don't know what to do when it comes to this... please help me...
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: these are the parts i picked out. Reply with quote

This Is The Engine And Transmission I Picked Out.
https://jcsvwparts.com/type-1-2180-turnkey-complete/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272386766898
as well as my plans to get the wheels as wide as what will fit under the car but still look normal. :P
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

The engine has a lot of low end parts in it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

Like Glenn said, don’t buy that engine. That’s a lot of money for low end stuff. You can do better for 5,000. Your post says you live in Tennessee, so they do emissions testing on older cars like that? If they don’t then you’re good. If they do you’re gonna have to find a way to make pass
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

RLFD213 wrote:
Your post says you live in Tennessee, so they do emissions testing on older cars like that? If they don’t then you’re good. If they do you’re gonna have to find a way to make pass

Quick google search shows they do emissions testing on 1975 and newer vehicles. That's rough.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

You put it in a pre 1975 car.

If you show up with a carbureted engine in a car that came with FI, that would probably be an automatic fail. You will need to research the laws in your state to be sure.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
RLFD213 wrote:
Your post says you live in Tennessee, so they do emissions testing on older cars like that? If they don’t then you’re good. If they do you’re gonna have to find a way to make pass

Quick google search shows they do emissions testing on 1975 and newer vehicles. That's rough.

If you read the entire article (like I did) and you should have, you will find that there are about 10-15 counties that are exempt..........read, maybe you live in one of them! Only applies to 1996 and newer.
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

well i plan to move to just outside los angeles, california in the near future and i just want to get more power out of my beetle so that i can easily be able to get up to speed on the highways and stuff. what would any of you recommend for a better engine? i'm looking for either a 2180 or a 2276. thanks a lot.
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

if we're being completely honest i have no freaking idea about any of this stuff.
so i'm just trying to find the best help i can...
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

does a 2180/2276cc fuel injected engine even exist? if so, where do i even find one? i'm just so confused. :/
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

That’s a complete fail in California without all the FI and smog bits.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

VWBeetleObsessed67 wrote:
well i plan to move to just outside los angeles, california in the near future and i just want to get more power out of my beetle so that i can easily be able to get up to speed on the highways and stuff. what would any of you recommend for a better engine? i'm looking for either a 2180 or a 2276. thanks a lot.

I temporarily moved to Long Beach over 30 years ago and had a mostly stock motor except for an 009 distributor on my bug. They wouldn't pass it even then without the original distributor so I bought a used sva distributor, put it on and passed their smog test. I have no idea what people were doing back then with non-stock motors. Would they swap-in a legal motor, pass the test, then swap-out the legal motor? Finding a legal FI motor to do this with might be hard to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

well what about a 1776cc? would that work?
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

i just want to get 90-100hp at the very least...
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

i plan to move to either newport beach, california or carmichael, california.
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

i actually live near a family friend who is very knowledgeable on vw's but he is currently on a trip so i would normally ask him these questions as he owns a beetle himself and knows a lot about these cars but as it stands i can't seem to get ahold of him via his phone.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

You would probably have difficulty passing even with a fully complete stock engine. There's not a chance in hell you'd pass with a modified performance engine. Do what I do...build a car that is 1975 or older.

Best of luck
H20SB
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

in CA buy a pre 75 bug or move to AZ and stay out of the big cities. its no fun to live where the people control everything you do.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

stevebaz wrote:
in CA buy a pre 75 bug or move to AZ and stay out of the big cities. its no fun to live where the people control everything you do.

Two largest counties in AZ (essentially Phoenix and Tucson) test back to 1967 year (and test every year on the old ones), but if numbers look good you'll pass. There are exemptions if one can get classic car insurance, meaning the law discriminates against those not owning a garage.

The other counties in AZ do zero emissions testing.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

In New York, anything 25 years and older is a safety only inspection.

https://www.newyorkcarlaws.com/smog-laws/
Quote:
Which vehicles are exempt from emissions test?

Certain vehicles are exempt from emissions testing. These are:

motorcycles or farm equipment
vehicles less than 2 years old
vehicles over 25 years old
diesel powered vehicles 1997 and newer with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVRW) less than 8,501 pounds
electric cars
vehicles with issued historic plates
vehicles which are subject to heavy vehicle safety inspections

Keep in mind: your vehicle may be exempted from emissions testing, but never safety testing.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: