Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
In New York, anything 25 years and older is a safety only inspection.

Arizona has ZERO safety inspection.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
In New York, anything 25 years and older is a safety only inspection.

That’s because a majority of them have rotted away by then. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

well i do have a backup listing for a 1968 bug, would it be possible to put a higher powered engine in that and pass the test on that?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

In California, you do not need to smog anything 1975 or older. You will NEVER pass with a 1979. That's why I would never buy a later car.

I have no idea if an autostick will handle the extra HP. You could convert it to a 4 speed.

But if you are planning to move to VW mecca, I suggest you buy a pre 1975 car when you get here. You can still find cars here that aren't full of rust, and you avoid VIN inspections and the extra paperwork of bringing a car in to CA.
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

i just updated my previous post bc the listing i was looking at was a car that i would never be able to afford because it is literally a car straight out of a museum. the listing i picked out and that i plan to buy in the near future is a 4 speed 68 bug and i picked out a new transmission to handle the power i want.
primary transmission link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274637769445
alternate transmission link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274459649918

will it be possible to put a performance engine like a 2180/2276cc engine in that year beetle and use any of the transmissions i picked out with that engine? also where can i find a really good performance turnkey engine that i can pair with either of these transmissions, i'm looking for a 2180cc or a 2276cc. thanks.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

Seems like you want a Bug, but with a Corvette engine in it.

In your home state, you’ll have to go by their laws, so think about what you need—not what you want. A 1970’s American muscle car might suit you better. Not trying to be a smart-ass, but when I was 17, and I had a huge engine in my VW, I’d have totaled it within a few months. Speed and a Bug just don’t seem to work out well.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

I lived in southern California for two years, but I just kept the license, registration and insurance from the state I was living in before I moved there (which didn't require any smog or inspection tests). That's not technically legal, so every time I got stopped by the CHiPs, I was "just visiting a buddy of mine" in California. I never had a problem.

Also, I wouldn't go so far as to suggest buying some American iron instead of a Bug, but I do agree that jumping into a 50+ year-old economy car for the first time, with a mule in the back putting out four times the horsepower it was originally designed for, is just asking for trouble. You don't need 2276cc to put a smile on your face. Hell, my 1645cc mini-stroker gets me to 90-100 MPH easily enough, and more practically, from 0 to 60 in around 8 seconds. Bone stock was what, 23 seconds or something like that?

If I were new to the VW scene, I'd start off with a mild 1776cc or something like that, and drive that around for a while. If/when I wanted more, at least then I'd understand what I was getting myself into!

Good luck, man!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

I lived in CA all of my life, and I am older then my 69. Back in the day we would even have to smog these. So we always bought a car with a complete engine, pulled and pickled it, and stuck it in a shed. This was for our two year engine swap (smog). Now supposedly we are safe, but you never know what Sacramento will pull, so I still have my stock engines, for both of my VWs.

However, for your first engine, I agree with floating. A well built 1776 will keep up with traffic, climb any of the hills, Plus you will have far less issues with keeping it cool during the summer.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
stevebaz wrote:
in CA buy a pre 75 bug or move to AZ and stay out of the big cities. its no fun to live where the people control everything you do.

Two largest counties in AZ (essentially Phoenix and Tucson) test back to 1967 year (and test every year on the old ones), but if numbers look good you'll pass. There are exemptions if one can get classic car insurance, meaning the law discriminates against those not owning a garage.

The other counties in AZ do zero emissions testing.

WOW!!
That's good to know. I always thought Arizona was an, "Anything Goes" state, as far as Autos.

By the way, I always wanted to say that you look great in your Avatar photo Very Happy .
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

i would like to get a modified stock engine that is made to go faster than it was ever meant to when it came off the production line. basically i want a performance version of the original 1600cc.
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

well then. where can i find a good well built 1776cc. i honestly have zero
experience with this stuff...
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

also this has nothing to do with the topic i made but i wanted to know if this was possible. i plan to buy a retrosound radio and put it together and put kick panels with speaker cutouts underneath the carpet and do a clean cut in the carpet around the speaker holes in the kick panels so that i can put in a set of speakers that came out of the doors of a 2008 new beetle meaning that once it is all together it should end up looking like it could have come like that from the factory. that and i plan to put one of those era speakers in the dash as well, where the factory speaker would have gone. i plan to buy a bracket so i can put one in the dash. but is this possible? i just really like the sound quality that came out of that era car because it's nostalgic to me, basically in 2009 when i was 5, when my mom would come pick me up from school, we would listen to kelly clarkson and lady gaga. and the sound that came from those speakers are ingrained in my head, they are a part of my childhood and i wanted to try and capture that nostalgia in an older car.
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

The acoustics in a vintage air cooled Beetle are strange. Do not be surprised if you have a hard time recreating the sound you are after.

These old Beetles are rather loud. You can take steps to minimize the outside noise, like from road noise and from the engine, with different sound insulating materials, but it will still not likely be what you are expecting. But, you won't know until you try!

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
polypetalous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

I respect your vision...
But perhaps putting "cart ahead of horse" here.

As many times as you have expressed "no experience," it may be a worthwhile endeavor to gain "experience" before going "all in."

Meaning, why not start with a "stock-ish" car and modify as you go, as you learn and as you get a feeling for what "stock" is?

Modified cars bring on all kinds of "other complications, headaches etc." that may be easier to deal with if you have the baseline knowledge.

As well, for the speaker question... often times the "sound" we hear in cars is an equal mix of speakers, stereo, and environment (car).... meaning just because they sounded good in a "new beetle" doesn't necessarily mean they will sound good in a vintage beetle.

Environment/placement has a HUGE impact on sound of speakers

Love your enthusiasm... dont get discouraged but take it a step at a time... my advice anyways for what its worth.

Ben
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

With those musical choices, I’ll stick with open header. I am also older than a 69 beetle.
mjtracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

You mention you want to get up to speed on the highway. I have no issues flowing with traffic with my stock 1600. Plus it will go for miles and miles with no issues. Once you get to the high output motors, reliability takes a nosedive. Depends on what you really want the car for.
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

well i was planning to have a local classic vw shop install it for me?
i will leave a link to the shop.
shop link:
https://www.facebook.com/aircooledautoshop/?fbclid...CqhbpioaVg
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

im thinking just a 1776cc now cause i just found a 68 autostick bug in excellent condition for just under 14,000 bucks and i want to get more power but i want to keep the autostick. can the autostick gearbox handle a 1776cc?

Last edited by VWBeetleObsessed67 on Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
VWBeetleObsessed67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

i just want to experience the music and sound quality of my childhood but in my favorite style car. i don't mind adding noise insulation as long as i can get somewhat good sound! ^w^
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: how do i pass smog with a 2180cc performance engine? Reply with quote

It will, but, for how long?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: