Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner is beginning to fall down at front sunvisors - fix?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Headliner is beginning to fall down at front sunvisors - fix? Reply with quote

I thought I dodged the failing headliner bullet on my 03MV when I bought it in December and the headliner was all intact. Guessing now that’s because it was sitting under a big shade tree for the last several years. Now that it’s out in the Texas sunlight,…. weekend before last the passenger side began to fall down at the front sun visor,… and last weekend the driver side began to fall down literally a week apart.

Wondering if there’s any kind of a short term fix other than replacing the complete headliner which I’ve done on numerous other prior vehicles and I am so tired of spending my $300 to $400 on. Suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner is beginning to fall down at front sunvisors - fix? Reply with quote

I used these as a quick fix. They actually don’t look too bad. https://www.amazon.com/Twisty-Pins-Upholstery-Slip...amp;sr=8-3
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner is beginning to fall down at front sunvisors - fix? Reply with quote

I had mine done at a local upholstery shop. They did a great job for around 200 dollars
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner is beginning to fall down at front sunvisors - fix? Reply with quote

VolksVelo wrote:
I had mine done at a local upholstery shop. They did a great job for around 200 dollars
that’s a great price. Did they break any of your interior a pillar B pillar or see pillar covers? They are known to break when people try to remove them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner is beginning to fall down at front sunvisors - fix? Reply with quote

streamr wrote:
I used these as a quick fix. They actually don’t look too bad. https://www.amazon.com/Twisty-Pins-Upholstery-Slip...amp;sr=8-3

I’m thinking there’s no depth behind the headliner up there right next to the windshield in front of the sunvisors. It feels like there might be a 16th of an inch of foam with adhesive on a hard surface and then the headliner was stuck directly to that. I’ll go look again but I believe that’s the situation I have
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner is beginning to fall down at front sunvisors - fix? Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:

I’m thinking there’s no depth behind the headliner

That is where I used them just under the visors. The fiber headliner was a little tough to penetrate, but once it started, they twisted right in. I don't think I'd use them if the entire fabric liner was coming down (it is coming down a little in the rear, but two pins fixed it for now). I checked with four different shops, two said they won't do VWs and the other two wanted over $500. I'll live with a few little plastic dots in my ceiling for now.
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner is beginning to fall down at front sunvisors - fix? Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
VolksVelo wrote:
that’s a great price. Did they break any of your interior a pillar B pillar or see pillar covers? They are known to break when people try to remove them.

No they didn't. They did such a good job that I couldn't tell the difference. I believe it's quite a difficult job that required the replacement of the liner backings.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner is beginning to fall down at front sunvisors - fix? Reply with quote

I used a 3m spray adhesive. It was in the middle of summer in southwest so it only lasted a couple of days before fall down again due to the heat. I tried twice. When I got home I used some rubber cement from a bottle with a brush. Applied a light coat as it will soak through the thin headliner material an leave a mark where you apply it too heavy. I think the 2 coats of spray adhesive also helped in keeping the the cement from soaking through. Anyways it has held for about a year now, I do not notice the little dark soak through spots on the liner.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: