Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2021 Tour /// Here we go again!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

Link

Greetings from Urbana, IL!

It wouldn't be an Air-Schooled Tour without a dedicated thread to blather in, so here we go: 2021 in photographs, words, and craft brewskis.

May 1st came quickly, and a quality group of friends sent me off, as usual, with just enough of a party to get a late start the following day…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good thing I slept until traffic time… Even the off-ramps on I-15 were packing just trying to get some tacos near Menifee.

The weather was also having none of it. We powered through this sandstorm, as I figured the paint would take less of a beating driving WITH the wind as opposed to stopping. The 24mpg that resulted was a nice bonus. (iPhone weather said 30-40mph tailwinds all the way to Vegas, baby!)

Baker was a forgiving 97° later in the day, but the winds nearly blew me over trying for the annual thermometer photograph.

As Abscate knows, I'm fond of finding dirt roads to drive down for random camp spots. Luckily there was no washed out road at the end of this one.

Too much trash though, so I moved on while the sun was still shining.

This spot was better, and gave me enough silence for a good night's sleep. Only had to go two miles down a gravel road. Easy win!

Buddy's idle sounded a bit low the next morning, and I couldn't really blame the measly 2,000 foot elevation difference… Oh well, off to work!

Waking up early has tourist perks, like this blurry picture of the famous Las Vegas sign…

…It's blurry because the instant I went to press the shutter button on my camera, Buddy just flat-out died. Hazards on, shifter in first, turn the key to start, hold it there, and "motor" to the shoulder at a blistering 1mph. Fifteen seconds later, we're here.

Pour ice water on the fuel pump and condenser, and we're off!

…for about ten feet. Swap in the pre-timed spare distributor, and we're good to go. Late to work for the FIRST TIME EVER on the account of Buddy. Nice job, bus. Rolling Eyes

I admit I could have forgone the post-distributor-swap-latte, but then how would I have the caffeine buzz necessary to tell people they need new tuneup parts too??

Buddy is running like a top again, no thanks to that condenser playing coy. Decided to camp here for the night, on the outskirts of Henderson. The wind whipped around and howled all night, but the stock jack takes out nearly all the chassis sway. (Works especially well when people sleep upstairs!)

I even played tourist for a bit, spending half a day checking out the Hoover Dam and newfangled bridge they built to bypass it. Finding it crazy that the bridge was built between going to Lake Mead as a kid and now, I can't help but sigh at the sore thumb that jets out into the landscape in the name of transportation and logistical efficiency. Maybe I need to reread The Monkey Wrench Gang…

Next stop, KentABQ and JTauxe!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

See you August 8th Smile Safe travels!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

I've never seen that before - how did that happen?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:

Pertronix wheel with a full sized rotor?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

That Barstow-Baker area can certainly be windy. The day the big interstate style gas station sign in Kramer Junction blew down I had been high up in the Panamint Range and was looking over towards Mt Whitney when a wall of dust rose up and obscured the Sierras. I knew I was in for it and started running looking for an old mine I could hide out in. Didn't find one so just before the winds hit I balled up as tight as I could pulling my pack over my head and got a 100 mph sandblast for about 5 minutes. I was pretty much unharmed, just a bunch of red welts on my arms and hands from where the stones had pelted them. Ended up just continuing my hike up to an interesting circa 1880 mine up on the ridge above.

We camped out inside one of the old miners cabins and the winds came up again in the night taking part of the roof over our heads off.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

Pretty sure that's what mine runs - I really think it's the standard rotor. Maybe I' wrong?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

Pretty sure that's what mine runs - I really think it's the standard rotor. Maybe I' wrong?

Without sanding off a couple mm from the bottom?, the added thickness of the ring makes the rotor touch the cap, you can watch it gyrating like Elvis' hips as it idles sometimes.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

If you're ever passing through the Cleveland Ohio area, send me a PM! I'd love to buy you a bite to eat. I've learned a lot from your posts over the years.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

I’m just happy to see some road trip pictures and social shenanigans. Takes me back to 2019 Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

May all your roads end…..in DryLand

-Waterworld ( soon to be a Broadway musical)
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

SW Virginia on this tour?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

boy, you're like fly shit...everywhere. weren't you just in NY?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

He flew into and out of my driveway............................
We accomplished a number of tasks - working on both Big Emma and Murphy. The social facet was as enjoyable as ever. I'll never doubt that aspect of a visit.

As usual, I neglected to take photos and only snapped two - one of which contains Robbie's shoulder in the process of forcing the pin back in the hatch. No arms were broken in the repair of this item.

(thank you to our friend Anka for the hatch assist - and LOTS of bus help in general)

And - as usual - we did most of the things on 'my list'. The trip ended - as always - with Robbie's list of items for me to accomplish in the near future and a list of less critical things to be done before the next possible return visit in a year. And as usual, I'll keep this list and simply translate it into my list of tasks for next time the traveler rolls around.

I think he may eventually catch on to my tactic.

Thanks Airschooled
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

Thanks for the stories!

According to the schedule on Airschooled Robbie is in Chicago now and heading towards Wisconsin. The visits commented upon here happened a bit ago.

Skilz -- Robbie was reportedly in NY state a few weeks ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

Quote:
Skilz -- Robbie was reportedly in NY state a few weeks ago.

Yes, This is true - He was at my house this past week.

As in the past, it was an informative and productive work day. We spent a great deal of time trying to dial in my crappy single carb. Robbie took careful measurements of the various jets and worked to maximize the carb's performance despite its limitations. We had to adjust the electric choke and I'm very glad to say, the fuel delivery system is working much better and the bus is driving very well. We also checked the timing made some refining adjustments.

We then tackled the sliding door...

Unfortunately, my poor old bus will need to have the left and right rocker panels replaced - including the sliding door lower track. I prepared a piece of metal to install as a band-aid to provide stability to the lower roller. We had to use some 'creative' clamping techniques to install my fabbed up track. (Robbie - I think you took a photo).

After a long work day, we spent some time playing electric bass (I forgot to take any photos) but Robbie did a nice job playing some tunes he's been working on.

I was glad I set up a big green tarp to keep the sun off - It was a pretty hot and humid day and the tarp came in handy when some big rains came later in the afternoon.

It was a pleasure to work with Robbie again and I look forward to his next visit.

Here he is heading west - slowly making his way back to Southern California

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
<snip>

The best way to see Las Vegas -- in the rear view mirror!
airschooled wrote:
I even played tourist for a bit, spending half a day checking out the Hoover Dam and newfangled bridge they built to bypass it. Finding it crazy that the bridge was built between going to Lake Mead as a kid and now, I can't help but sigh at the sore thumb that jets out into the landscape in the name of transportation and logistical efficiency. Maybe I need to reread The Monkey Wrench Gang…

The bridge was actually built mostly to reduce traffic on the Dam, in order to keep down on vibration wear, and of course for security.

Speaking of the Monkey Wrench Gang, did you notice the giant dam next to the bridge, flooding what was a beautiful canyon?

airschooled wrote:
Robbie

Wait... what? Did I miss something?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
airschooled wrote:
Robbie

Ah, how soon they forget... Laughing

Robbie stopped by Albuquerque in May, and helped me with a TON of projects.
Repacked wheel bearings for the first time in 180k miles; got my slider to actually open and close; replaced a starter that chose his visit to die; helped me figure out why the steering is loose again (failing drag link with about 15k miles on it); and a bunch of other things.

As always, we had a great time and at the same time accomplished a lot.
Then it was off to Tako Ten for beers and the best nachos I've ever had.

The following weekend, we met up with Robbie again in Taos for a post(?)-COVID reunion with friends...

Have a good Summer tour, Robbie. Dancing
Thanks for helping to save our vans/buses!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
airschooled wrote:
Robbie

Ah, how soon they forget... Laughing

Of course I had not forgotten that visit, Kent, but as you say, it was in May, and Robbie posted his message 15 June, so I was wondering if he was coming through again...

Must be using the Time Turner...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

Dang y'all, I remember when I used to take photos and post them before driving across the continent too…

…we left off in the land called Arizona, where I was lamenting bridges and rotors. Buddy is running swimmingly, but his "normal" distributor is sitting in the walkthrough while the dirty spare is ticking off the miles. These parts saw more beautiful scenery on this drive than they ever will again; it's 2,000 RPM and REAL HEAT from here on out.

Of course, crossing the desert made the engine a little too hot to work on, so the tuneup waited until morning.

Morning wrenching means morning coffee these days, and if you drink coffee in San Diego, you know these fine folks.

In ya go! (Free Air-Schooled sticker pack to the first person to find both "problems" with my spare distributor.)

I use beverage boxes as trash cans mostly because stuff spills and I never have to clean them. But DAMN Y'ALL are getting really trashy out there, I might need to drink more fizzy water.

LOVE to see the colors.

It wouldn't be my thread unless I complained about the weather, so let's just say Buddy and I have an agreement on parking spots when available.

I feel fortunate to drive these roads in the evening this year; the geography looks more dramatic in side light.

Also, water. Water did that, with help from its friend wind.

I'm not one to resist an artistic selfie with a cholla variant of some kind. (Anybody?)

At the time, I thought it was neat to drive over a train. Later on in Pennsylvania, I'll bike over a train, but that post is coming.

Historic 66 is fun to drive in a few spots where the pavement has been cared for. I mean, this looks like something straight out of Radiator Springs!

Flood waters and muddy memories remain with me, so I don't do much extreme off-roading anymore. This is about as wild as it gets, down some leftover construction road from Jeff Bezos' expanding empire.

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Yeah, we're that far behind… I stopped at KentABQ's place in ABQ to keep Chloe Andante in tip top shape. He's been driving the heck out of her, and only a few things needed tending.

Either the wheel bearings had never been repacked, or whoever did it resealed the speedometer cable with OG caulking… The grease was plentiful, but quite dirty even though the bearings had no perceptible slop, and passed visual/tactical inspection.

The sliding door was next on his list, and somehow I was relegated to parts-cleaning duty while Kent lubricated each and every rotatey bit (and latch cable) with engine oil, and sliding doodad with SuperLube grease. Right y'all??

They could have permanently affixed a pizza box to the roof and gotten off much cheaper.

Some nice winds pushed me up the hill to jtauxe's place in Los Alamos, and he asked if I wanted to go for a ride in his fresh double door double cab. "Heck yeah, let me hop in the side… Oh, I guess I'm driving."

I like Los Alamos, because people like John live there, but also because I can shop in a natural grocery store and eat world-class BBQ with a beer in my hand, all at the same time. <3

That said, the planet did try to push me back up the hill. I said no, and took a side highway to Taos just to possibly have a respite from the windy rain. Didn't work.

Vvolfbus was my second(?) stop on my first Tour, and I've been back at least once a year since. Last year, their bus had the same flaky white respray it always had…

This year I don't think they'll be climbing on top for any more jam sessions!

It's fantastic to have a car that matches inside and out Cool

…But why does the shifter suck so much?

Oh, that's exactly why. We also made a new style of shift bushing, with their metal bracket being destroyed from prior abuse. Jtauxe has sworn to secrecy about the whole project, but we can say that fine Japanese saws were involved…

It's always fun to tell someone "yeah your body shop mostly got it right, here's a drill have fun!" But Vvolfbus just gets shit done.

It was a real hoot seeing all the buses together, in colors that mostly complimented the surrounding hills and sage.

Oklahoma Route 412 and I go way back… Next post, we do it again!
Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
They could have permanently affixed a pizza box to the roof and gotten off much cheaper.

You got lucky!
That crazy b!tch has been hanging outside her house with a shotgun recently.

(For those scratching their heads over this post, that's the house used for the Breaking Bad series. A woman bought it a few years ago without knowing its provenance. And people would throw pizzas on top of her room. She put up the fence to make it more of a challenge, I guess. They she painted the house and added a metal roof so it doesn't look anything like the house in the series.

But anyone who slowly drives by gets a picture of her ugly mug holding a shotgun aimed at them. Welcome to Albuquerque!)

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: