Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed'
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

Moderator note: this post has been edited rather than removed to remove the WTB aspects of it.
Many good comments have been made about Van ownership.
If one wants to purchase a Van, please use the classifieds.

Classified ads are not allowed in the forums.

Long time lurker on the forum... and I'm ready for my first post:

I’m in pursuit of the dream. I am looking for your hard top, high top, pop top, transporter, or camper Vanagon (T3) (Syncro or 2wd)!

For over a decade I have lusted over owning one, and now is the time to make it happen. I’m just a person looking to get into their van and enjoy it for the rest of their life.

I'm happy to report that I've found it! see post on page 2. I look forward to updating this thread with van updates.

Last edited by wasatch on Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

Good, bad or nightmare? You get them all with a Vanagon, really.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

every single one of these is/was at one point someone's dream...

put a WTB ad in the classifieds.. or just search the classifieds, Ebay, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, and the church bulletin boards.
diligently
each and every day.
for weeks.. to months on end.

and maybe, just maybe one will fall into your lap.

better yet, circle around all of the regional small mechanic shops and see if there's one languishing in the back lot as a impound, or abandoned customer repair/project and inquire about it.

leave notes under windshields and knock on doors.. but look for 'posted', 'beware of dog' or 'no trespassing' signs 1st.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

Ohh and you have to react FAST with both your reply and $$>.

here's a great example of a good deal on an entry level adventure van.
seeing as there's more $$ in parts than the asking price and it's fairly rust free (by north east standards).
if this was ~5hrs of me I'd be all over it.

https://yakima.craigslist.org/pts/d/selah-1981-vanagon/7336649365.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Good, bad or nightmare? You get them all with a Vanagon, really.

and that's deciding on tires! Laughing

BiWerks Design, LLC
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
... search the classifieds, Ebay, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, and the church bulletin boards.
diligently
each and every day.

Another advantage to playing this for the long game is that it provides you more time to save up for the purchase cost. Which will undoubtedly be ... ahem ... higher than anticipated.

As will the ensuing repair costs.

And the ongoing maintenance costs ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
every single one of these is/was at one point someone's dream...

put a WTB ad in the classifieds.. or just search the classifieds, Ebay, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, and the church bulletin boards.
diligently
each and every day.

and maybe, just maybe one will fall into your lap.

better yet, circle around all of the regional small mechanic shops and see if there's one languishing in the back lot as a impound, or abandoned customer repair/project and inquire about it.

leave notes under windshields and knock on doors.. but look for 'posted', 'beware of dog' or 'no trespassing' signs 1st.

Thank you for the tips! Appreciate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

Something I learned after I bought mine is that an engine is a lot easier to replace than the body. I passed on a rust free Syncro that was in NC because the coolant temp gauge didn't work and I didn't want to risk blowing the motor on the way home. Well.. I still bought a Syncro with a non working coolant temp gauge (but an aftermarket one had been added) and this one was incredibly rusty. Learn how to weld I said! Learn paint I said! Bah. Time better spent camping.

I am already well versed in mechanical work. I should have risked blowing the motor for such an exceptional chassis. Even if I did blow it, perfect time for an engine swap.
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Something I learned after I bought mine is that an engine is a lot easier to replace than the body. I passed on a rust free Syncro that was in NC because the coolant temp gauge didn't work and I didn't want to risk blowing the motor on the way home. Well.. I still bought a Syncro with a non working coolant temp gauge (but an aftermarket one had been added) and this one was incredibly rusty. Learn how to weld I said! Learn paint I said! Bah. Time better spent camping.

I am already well versed in mechanical work. I should have risked blowing the motor for such an exceptional chassis. Even if I did blow it, perfect time for an engine swap.

I agree! A Bostig or TDI conversion is the plan.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

and maybe to expectation set - what is a "decent" price to you?

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

AHeppner wrote:
The Bus will be brought back to life, maintained, and appreciated forever.

Here is the situation, I am on a budget.

Those 2 statements are not going to make it easy for you to get to your goal.

A "decent price" van will likely require some significant money to make reliable.

Possible but not easy...
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

The goal is a van with little (manageable) rust, that's running will cost me between 5-10k. A Syncro would be killer, but may be out of this range. Is that an incorrect expectation?

I can weld and wrench, but am trying to get a driving van ASAP.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

if youre ok with it not being a camper, i think theres hope for a non syncro.

as mentioned, act fast if you see something clean pop up.
and then plan to spend several thousand on catch up maintenance.

coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

FWIW - the best advice I received prior to and during the search for my 1991 and that resonated deeply was "the cheapest one you buy may be the most expensive one you own" and that the 'good' ones are "gone in 60 seconds" so you will need to be in a position to react quickly when the right one becomes available. Lots of great advice above with respect to strategies. Best of luck with your search!
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

AHeppner wrote:

The goal is a van with little (manageable) rust, that's running will cost me between 5-10k. A Syncro would be killer, but may be out of this range. Is that an incorrect expectation?

I wouldn't expect to find a reliable, running, relatively rust-free, Syncro, or camper for under $10k unless it also needs another $5k-$10k to get it into that kind of shape.

I would spend some time looking in classifieds on this website to get an idea of what you might get for that amount of $.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

AHeppner wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:

I can weld and wrench, but am trying to get a driving van ASAP.

5-10 k would be a good down payment on a nice van. Have you considered going to a bank for what it takes to get you over the top on a really nice one?

I bought my '86 Weekender new with only $500 down and borrowed the rest from our Credit Union. I wanted it bad enough to have a ballon payment due at the end. It wasn't a bad investment.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

I wouldn't expect to find a reliable, running, relatively rust-free, Syncro, or camper for under $10k unless it also needs another $5k-$10k to get it into that kind of shape.

thats probably a more clear summary of what i said Smile

if youre happy with a tin top 2wd, 5-10k should be fine. act fast, and plan to spend 20% of that purchase price on catch up maintenance.

forget campers or syncros that are "camp ready" for that money.

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

as an example, i spent $5k on this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and another $9.5K to get a safe, clean, fun camper. it's not perfect, but the goal was to have camping adventures with my son.

goal achieved.

BiWerks Design, LLC
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

Awesome anecdotes y'all! This is great.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

WAY off topic but, as someone who had similarly poor posture since junior high, it's never too early to work on that. Better now than dealing with the PT visits 30 years down the road!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: