Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harvgwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

Sorry SCM, but I’d hedge my bets on son enjoying camping with Dad. PT’s are easier to deal with than corrections officers and drug counsellors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

harvgwen wrote:
Sorry SCM, but I’d hedge my bets on son enjoying camping with Dad. PT’s are easier to deal with than corrections officers and drug counsellors.

I'm not suggesting that the boy stay home in a proper office chair! A simple, "someday that'll come back to haunt ya" might suffice. Well, maybe. I never listened to my teachers when they said that to me either.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

Tintops are still a good deal, if you don’t need classic full Westy status. After my Westy died, I wasn’t sure I d get back in the game. I even considered other van platforms. But the mania is deep. I like the WBX, and I learned a lot from my old van. I realized the pop top was cool, but not essential and I saved the camper interior and went looking for a Tintop. I had a couple options but found one that suited me. Cosmetically scruffy but with 50k on a GW drivetrain. The PO fixed all the major stuff and kept on the maintenance until she found a Syncro. Now I’m just catching up on maintenance. The only issues needing real work were the shift linkage that failed reverse, partly my fault, an exhaust leak, tie rods, and CV joints. The only issue that upsets me are the CV joints. They should have lasted a lot longer. Everything else s just normal maintenance.

So decent vans are out there. My Blue Turtle Dreaming found me. Kinda like adopting a pet, your van just might find you.

Tangent:
This weekend I’m going to Adventure Van Expo Mt. hood to ogle the IG worthy $75K Sprinters. They’re cool and all, but at that price, are they really 10 times more van than mine?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream (Your Vanagon) Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
harvgwen wrote:

I'm not suggesting that the boy stay home in a proper office chair! A simple, "someday that'll come back to haunt ya" might suffice. Well, maybe. I never listened to my teachers when they said that to me either.

You ever sit in those camp chairs?

There is no option but to get sucked down into them in some awkward position!
You aren't sitting on the ground........ but it might be a better option.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

"Lived the Dream." Very Happy

When my son purchased his 1985 Westy, he said "Dad, I would love us to both have a Syncro and go camping together." We did a conversion on his, buying a donor tin top Syncro and swapping the Westy top and insides. I purchased a great 1987 Syncro and for years, built what we wanted.

That dream came true and for a few years we lived it. He ended up selling his van for a down payment on a home. I am in the process of selling our cherished Syncro at the moment. It has taken us all over North America. From Newfoundland to Alaska. And we have so many good memories and it has been worth every penny. "Lots of Pennies" The friendships made and times with others has changed our lives and made us better people.

Buy it, and live it. Learn to wrench. Plan on spending double, maybe triple, what you think. Especially if you get into the Syncro realm. Go do it! Life is too short to wait.

Good luck!
Ron

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2474308

Last edited by Syncro Jael on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

Wow Ron. We will miss you LOTS! Sad Sad Sad

Enjoy the sailboat though. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Wow Ron. We will miss you LOTS! Sad Sad Sad

Enjoy the sailboat though. Very Happy

We will. Thanks again for all the great times! Very Happy
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

That is one AWESOME rig.

I am starting to realize putting a bit of $ upfront may be advantageous in my situation. I am hoping to snag a tin top Syncro or 2WD in drivable condition. (Dreaming of a high-top)

As for inspection tips, can anyone share existing links or threads of what to look for?

Appreciate y'all.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

AHeppner wrote:

As for inspection tips, can anyone share existing links or threads of what to look for?

Appreciate y'all.

Here is some reading.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

AHeppner wrote:
That is one AWESOME rig.

I am starting to realize putting a bit of $ upfront may be advantageous in my situation. I am hoping to snag a tin top Syncro or 2WD in drivable condition. (Dreaming of a high-top)

Appreciate y'all.

Take (or make) a friend who knows 'em and save yourself 30 hours of reading. I suspect most of us here know within one minute if any van is "worth it" or not.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

owokie wrote:

I suspect most of us here know within one minute if any van is "worth it" or not.

with experience comes wisdom. i would never have tackled the Westy if i didn't cut my "chops" on the tin top. notice what Dave has been doing with that... i knew the Westy was a smart play Twisted Evil

now that i've built up some experience, my next Vanagon will be THE one Cool

BiWerks Design, LLC
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

Well, Been driving some vans, and have developed (maybe confirmed?) some biases...

I need (want) a syncro... This van will be used for skiing and winter adventuring, and 4x4 is required in the areas. Chains are acceptable, but in deep snowy parking lots, it may not suffice. a GL Tin Top is what I'm after currently.

there are some great options in 2WD, and I have a few deals in motion- but something in the back of my mind is telling me spending 15-20k up front for 4WD will be better than 5-8k for 2WD and wishing it was 4WD the entire time.

Buy once, cry once?

Thoughts? Experiences?
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

Make sure you're completely honest with yourself (don't rely on strangers opinions, only you know how you think/feel)
- Are you truly going to use the van in such a manner that 4WD will be needed?
- Are you committed/willing to spend on (most often delayed/neglected) expensive maintenance items that the previous owner didn't do?

Doing a fast search in The Samba, there're a couple Tintop Syncros somewhat close to you that look interesting and within your budget (don't know anything about them except what's in the ad), examples:

1986 Syncro with a Subaru 2.2 conversion ($18,000)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2449132

1987 Syncro ($15,000)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2479665

I completely get the "Syncro bug" feeling, I started with a 1993 Eurovan Weekender, but then caught the Syncro bug and bought a fairly cheap Syncro Westy that the previous owner was neglecting (sold the Eurovan since I couldn't maintain both). Started maintaining/upgrading the Syncro and haven't stopped since then (started almost 13 years ago).

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

I am happy to update this thread... found it:

Details:
-1990 Syncro Westfalia
-1 owner
-Rear locker
-Original 2.1 motor with 84k
-All Original! Lightly used (see white plastic on heat shield in kitchen...)

Sat inside for 5 years. New fluids, fresh gas, tires and it drives reasonably! I did fail emissions, but I only drove it for about 5 miles before getting it tested (High HC at idle, when rev'd it's well below). I'm thinking a few hundred miles of good gas, and hunting down any hidden vacuum leaks may fix this.

Fridge doesn't work, Fresh water pump/sink is dead, shore power works though.

Any advise for a first time Syncro owner?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

AHeppner wrote:
I am happy to update this thread... found it:
Any advise for a first time Syncro owner?

Try to wipe that silly grin off your face.
Normal people will think you're just nuts.
Nobody understands but us.
very, very nice van!!

Here's one Syncro detail to learn about your new 4x4.
Syncro transaxle shifts "slower" than 2WD transaxle

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: FOUND: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

Change your fuel lines.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: FOUND: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

wow nice find! that thing looks like a time capsule.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: FOUND: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

Wow! What a beautiful Syncro! My guess is that your original “budget” was thrown out the window when you found this one. Congratulations!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: FOUND: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Wow! What a beautiful Syncro! My guess is that your original “budget” was thrown out the window when you found this one. Congratulations!

..You are correct on that one. Found it for a 'reasonable' price vs. a 20k(ish) tin-top + building it out for adventures. But hey, it's just money- right?
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FOUND: In Search of the Dream Reply with quote

Beautfiul Syncro, welcome to the addiction!

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: