Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
"Also, removed the corroded propane tank from the van..."

Why would you remove the tank and go to bottles? Now you are carrying loose Explosive projectiles in your van. At a minimum you're going to have 2 I'd guess. I would think the fireman would rather have an exposed tank when they arrive on scene rather than going into a van and not knowing that there is a potential bomb waiting inside with a few 1 gallon tanks stored hither and yon.

I can't find a single thread from the forums where someone had a Tank begin to leak. The surface corrosion is nothing. If you think it's bad, poke an Ice Pick at it. You can buy new valves and they can test the tank and re certify them at an RV or propane filling point. The worse it will do is begin to leak and you'll know long before it gets bad. I think this is Panicked Hype by major vendors that want to sell you a new tank.

If you're worried about a Fire then leave your gas tank behind because there's tons of documented engine fires from bad fuel lines.

Those grounds were a mess and always a good idea to update.

Stacy

It's been discussed a lot in other threads, but I fully trust the Coleman 1lb tanks. I really like the simplicity of the stove set-up now, and I find it really convenient.

The decision was 4 fold:
-Less weight (propane tank is around 30lbs. Fridge is around the same so 60lbs of fat trimmed!)
-Cost/time of refurbishing the tank vs. a $15 attachment at the local store
-I do not have any other propane accessories in the van
-Potential for the old Westy tank/lines to leak

I do not have any propane in or on the van the van unless I go for a trip, and when I do, it's secured with sealed brass caps on the threads.

But, I'm also the kind of person that saves everything. If I find this setup to not work long-term... I'll switch back!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

Back on the road with new fuel lines.

I used the kit provided by Bus Depot. A few notes for anyone to tackle this project:

-5 meters of line is EXACTLY how much you need... don't waste any!
-The provided clamps do not fit over the injector barb... I had to use the dreaded worm style hose clamps as it's my daily and I needed to get back on the road.
-Definitely get your injectors rebuilt! Mine were black and covered in dirt. The difference is noticeable in the revs and acceleration.

Other than that, pretty straightforward project. but, I will continue to check my work for the next few days/weeks to make sure no leaks arise.

Rebuilt the injectors at a local shop:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger Rail:

Driver Rail:

Current engine bay shot:

It idles SO smooth now with fresh injectors, but as soon as it's warmed up... I still get a slight shimmy in the motor at idle. Cleaned the IAC valve in hopes it would magically fix, but no luck. The shimmy doesn't effect anything performance/driveability wise, mostly my OCD wanting a perfectly smooth motor at idle when warm. Perhaps I'll check the timing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

i made the same mistake on the fuel rails... you'll want the end caps pointing towards you to check for leaks! later switched mine after an injector swap.

don't chase the smooth idle too far... these motors ain't a Honda. they lope and burble and shimmy in their soft mounts. a fast idle cures your OCD desire for smoothness and provides better oil pressure and cooling.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

After a few weeks of coolant drips on the driveway, I decided to replace the leaking coolant tower.

Tools to get it done:

Once removed, you can see the 'cap' on the plastic end started to separate. It didn't leak when hot, but dripped a couple drops each night.

I used the SS version from Van Cafe. Ironically, GoWesty just came out with one that has a bracket to mount to the firewall... That would have been nice, but not required. I used some left over sheet metal trim pieces to stop it from rubbing or making noise

Installed from the bottom:

Overall pretty straightforward to replace. I lost maybe 6-8oz of coolant. The spring clips on the interior hoses proved to be nearly impossible to put back on. I tossed on some hose clamps (gasp!).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

Good move updating that tower!
When they go, your coolant is instantly gone!

I like you kept 5he WBXer ……. So many succumb to subby path.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

Got future plans for Electronic Power Steering and a Propex Heater... So time to prep for an aux battery...

The PO 'installed' an inverter under the sink... The 0/2 Gauge Wire routing was not ideal..

Two 1/2'' holes from the sink cabinet through the driver's fender:

And then two more 1/2'' holes into the battery box. Not ideal:

Took it all out, cleaned everything up and sealed up the holes with Permatex Silicone Adhesive Sealant.

Also replaced the battery ground while I was in there. The factory braid was looking tired.

Not sure on the exact aux battery plans. Want to keep it low-key under the driver's seat. 50ah Lithium. Run all accessories from it, charge from starter battery and possibly a shore power charge option. No solar for me.
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Good move updating that tower!
When they go, your coolant is instantly gone!

I like you kept 5he WBXer ……. So many succumb to subby path.

Dave

Thanks Dave! Keeping it so far... but I am scheming on something in the future Cool . No concrete plans yet. This WBX runs too well to throw away!
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

The propane tank lives!

Weighing options for a heater, I have my eyes on a PROPEX HS2211. So, it's going back under to run the stove and future heater.

How it was:

Sand blasted:

Painted with semi-gloss white:

The worst rust spots were under the spot welded labels.

With the updated regulator, it sticks out further than the original, I wonder if that will be an issue down the road from vibrations, dirt roads, etc:

Got most of the parts from a local propane fill / shop. Time to assemble and get it under than van.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

wasatch wrote:
Also replaced the battery ground while I was in there. The factory braid was looking tired……..
No solar for me.

Delete the fwd transaxle ground and replace with a cable from the starter bolt to the van chassis.

Solar can be fun, but with a big LiFePO4 like 100AH, you barely “need” it. With a 30A DC-DC charger from the alternator you’d barely need a shore charger.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

Onto the next item. With winter here, and I don't have a garage to store the van in, water intrusion is a serious paranoia of mine...

The rear passenger hatch grommet/tube/seal is pretty much non existent:

Interestingly, the driver's side looks brand new!:

I have a new passenger one on order and plan to replace it ASAP. I do have some questions about it though:
-Is it possible to replace without cutting the wires that run through it?
-How about the washer fluid tubing? Does that easily disconnect from the rear spray nozzle and allow to replace the grommet?

Ideally, I'd like to 'delete' the rear wiper sprayer and reservoir (and wiper/motor if I had my way Twisted Evil ) . Unfortunately, the Westfalia factory decided to rivet snap buttons on the passenger rear panel and access for removing the rear reservoir looks to involve drilling. Anyone have tips on getting it out of there?.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

For that rear interior panel I drilled out the rivets on the snap buttons and replaced with small screws. You can do it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
For that rear interior panel I drilled out the rivets on the snap buttons and replaced with small screws. You can do it.

Mind sharing a photo or two of how you did it?

I am worried that drilling out the rivet will cause more problems as it leads out to the back of the hatch:

wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

Lots of snow here in Utah, but the sun came out and had enough time to quickly swap the rear hatch grommet.

Before:

After:
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

Howdy y'all.

Been workin' on a lot of things recently:
rebuilt the CV's:

Had a leaking transmission seal behind the driver's CV, so I figured it was a good time for a rebuild. Definitely the first time they have been off the van. Joints are in great shape. rolling the dice with replacement GKN boots.

Also went for new shift linkage as all bushing boots were nonexistent and I was popping out of gear in certain instances. I cobbled together a kit from BMS, cip1 and GoWesty.

But... after spending all that time under the passenger side of the van, I roll under the drivers rear and see a totally destroyed clutch slave cylinder (probably the culprit for most of the problems):

Some other fun stuff:

RMW rear bumper and OE mudflaps:

And of course, getting it out when we can
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

Mid Summer up'date:

Replaced the coolant reservoir out of caution and the constant 100 degree temperatures here in UT.

Removed the cowl (gasp!)... The airflow increase is insane. I can cruise in the van all day at level '2'. Replaced all AC related relays and fuses too.

Other than that, some RMW bumpers, found some OEM round headlight buckets / Grille, skid plate, awning, etc, etc..

Went to Moab and stopped by Syncro Solstice:

Only gripe now is I still can't get it into low (granny) gear. Never have been able too since I purchased the van. Transmission doesn't make noise, grind, or have trouble shifting. All shift bushings are brand new. Feels 'blocked' almost. It's all original, 87k, never been rebuilt. Thoughts?
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

It has begun:

2003 ALH TDI out of a Beetle. 130k, bad turbo, pretty clean.

I'm pulling the head and sending off for cleaning. Going to inspect the bottom end and leave it as is (if there are no obvious warning signs). The turbo is going to be rebuilt locally.

Also picked up a full harness / ECM from a 2003 Golf at the local auto recycler. At this point, I plan to make a custom harness.

Things still to consider:
-Custom oil pan or adapter
-Diesel bellhousing (I am 100% planning to run a DMF)
-Diesel Syncro tank, or heat and mold the one I have
-Engine mounts (FASTT, Pioneer Wagen Werks?)
-Transmission rebuild/gearing
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

You sure that will fit? Laughing

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Syncro Westfalia Slow Build - 'Ed' Reply with quote

Continuing the teardown:

Sent the head off for a rebuild... Thinking about rebuilding the bottom end while I'm here...

Wiring harness is complete and on its way back from Fast Forward Auto in Canada.

Looking into how I will mount the engine into the van... Obtained a 50 degree adapter plate from the UK (ultimate engineering) so I can run a JX/AHU oil pan.

FAS (Foreign Auto & Supply) will not sell their mounts on their own, you have to buy a kit (of things I already have). Any thoughts or alternatives before I build it myself?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: