Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Restored 23-Window feedback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Thanks for contacting the auction house Bob.

I know another person contacted the current dealer seller with some information.
They received no reply.

A Bus with a fake VIN # is illegal in the USA but I don't know if the police would take action if they were notified.
I believe the Bus could be impounded from the current owner.

It's certainly worth reporting to the authorities in Florida; it could potentially prevent another victim from entering the chain of ownership since as of this time the current seller hasn't removed their ad for it. Not that the dollar value should matter in cases of VIN tampering, but this isn't for a $2500 heap...so hopefully the authorities there wouldn't just brush it off.

If two separate people have contacted the current seller it's curious to me that they're silent on the matter. One would think they'd stand a better chance of recouping their investment if they'd de-list the bus and filing a claim with Bonham's themselves (I presume they bought it at the Amelia Island auction and are selling it nearby there in Jacksonville) versus ignoring it, selling the bus, and potentially becoming complicit in the scheme.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
I'm still perplexed how Ruth from the Museum got the build dates wrong.

I suppose it's possible the birth certificate is a forgery as well.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^
Bingo!

For a fraudster bus, it’s pretty decent though. They didn’t even use Bondo in the rusty frame rails like the previous fake ‘59 that went through Mecum.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
teahead wrote:
I'm still perplexed how Ruth from the Museum got the build dates wrong.

I suppose it's possible the birth certificate is a forgery as well.

paperwork is easier to forge than the bus itself, for sure
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimgraydesigns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

Good evening, Samba 'Mites'

I think this is my first post in many years?
I have been following this thread since Everett put it up on June 16 and I have to say it has been educational and interesting on equal levels...

I live in Tallahassee, Fl and was back on Amelia Island for my 9th showing of my concours '67 21-Window Bus (purchased from a guy named 'Crash' in Enciniitis, Ca. in October 1991. (by the way, if anyone happens to know the whereabouts of 'Crash' I would love to re-connect with him!) I have an old phone number, but it's long gone silent.

I flew my Dad and I out to San Diego on Halloween day and we drove it home to Tallahassee! What a road trip...
Dad turned 88 this year and was back at Amelia Island with me and the Bus.
Sorry, to digress~

I was at Bonhams this year, but missed the Bus by a few hours...
When it showed up at Lew's Classic Motorcars in Jacksonville a week later,
I contacted him about some discrepancies I found in both the Bonhams photos and the ones that Lew had taken for his site.
He was very receptive to the issues; in fact, when I told him it might be a forgery and offered some supporting facts, he was appreciative.

We started communicating regularly as he was in contact with Bonhams and they assured him they would get to the bottom of the situation.
Lew did not go to Bonhams to buy the Bus; in fact, he has little interest in VWs. This example came across the stage; he hadn't even looked at it earlier. The bidding started low and pretty much stayed there. A friend who was with him told him that if it were real (which they both believed it had to be) it might be a $140,000 Bus~

There was never any doubt in their minds that it wasn't real.
It was only after I raised some questions about its past and mentioned a few details that Everett had relayed onto me, did Lew start to think he might have an issue. He is a very nice person, who has a wonderful collection of cars and spends his time finding and buying things he likes.

I reached out to Rupert at Bonhams who was responsible for the listing and received a nice short response that they were taking this very seriously and would not comment any further.

I took my Dad home today and had to pass through Jacksonville, so I called Lew and asked if I could stop by and meet him and see his collection.
Of course, I wanted to look over the Bus.
He was gracious and forthcoming and feels really weird about the whole situation. He mentioned he had dealt with Bonhams for 6 years; spent a lot of money with them and was confident they would get this resolved.

I left after 45 minutes feeling really good about Lew.
He may be another victim in a long line of buyers?
I will say this... I would buy a car from him...no question.

I have read all the threads since Everett posted the first one and I wonder if this couldn't be an authentic '59 with a bad BC and a number of 'mistakes' that frankly, very few people would ever know. It certainly got by the folks at Bonhams if it turns out to be a fake.

Yes, it's very strange that someone would go to this level of restoration and falsify a BC and use an M-Code plate that didn't even exist on this year; in addition to all the other little things that are not correct.
My question and one posed to me today by Lew, is where else is the VIN stamped on a '59 Bus? The frame? Somewhere else on the body?
I couldn't answer that question and if it does exist elsewhere on the Bus, who's to say it hasn't also been modified?

Also, where would one start to remove things like the headliner to determine if a top clip had been installed? I have to say if it's a "tribute" it's the best one I've ever seen and that's coming from a 31 year ownership of a documented '67 21-Window and a VW enthusiast since 1966~

By the way, Lew told me today that he had lowered the asking price to $125,000 (still high, I told him) and changed the copy from a "documented original" to a "meticulously restored tribute" Bus, which I thought was the right thing to do. He went so far as to ask me what I thought the Bus might be worth if it indeed turns out to be a tribute and we spoke at the same time
$60-$70,000.

For that, I would have to think long and hard about NOT buying it and the thought of owning anything that wasn't real has never been an option for me...but it sure looks good and sits well~

Certainly, someone owes Lew an apology and a very big check.
He said he would stay in touch with me and I think he is genuinely concerned about how this plays out... I know I am.

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in; it's been an interesting thread.
Before I forget to ask. I would like to know who Brendan thinks built this Bus? Someone mentioned Octavio, but i don't know him.
Brendan commented that the person in question has built more than a few of these?

Stay well and safe, All ~
Best regards,
Jim Gray
Jim Gray Designs
jimgraydesigns.com
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

Hi Jim, I think you've missed the bigger picture here.

The question of whether the Bus is a legitimate German 23 Window is far less significant than the FACT that the Bus has a fraudulent ID plate that is STAMPED OVER with the VIN of a LEGITIMATE and very well known 1958 Double Door Walkthru 23 Window that is in original Sealing Wax Red and Chestnut Brown paint, it belongs to our friend Bob over in Belgium, and Bob has loads of legitimate documentation as well as a genuine Birth Certificate from Volkswagen.

This is a case of an attempt of stealing the identity of a known legitimate Bus that exists in Belgium and utilizing the very same VIN number here in the USA where the government/motor vehicle department records would not show the "duplicate" of the fraudulent Bus.

This is VIN tampering, vehicle identity theft, and what I would call "six figure malicious fraud". These are federal offenses and whoever built it is a moron of an incalculable level.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhodrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

Not just that, but the reason that the original VIN was ground off in the first place could be that the whole vehicle itself is stolen.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Hi Jim, I think you've missed the bigger picture here.

The question of whether the Bus is a legitimate German 23 Window is far less significant than the FACT that the Bus has a fraudulent ID plate that is STAMPED OVER with the VIN of a LEGITIMATE and very well known 1958 Double Door Walkthru 23 Window that is in original Sealing Wax Red and Chestnut Brown paint, it belongs to our friend Bob over in Belgium, and Bob has loads of legitimate documentation as well as a genuine Birth Certificate from Volkswagen.

This is a case of an attempt of stealing the identity of a known legitimate Bus that exists in Belgium and utilizing the very same VIN number here in the USA where the government/motor vehicle department records would not show the "duplicate" of the fraudulent Bus.

This is VIN tampering, vehicle identity theft, and what I would call "six figure malicious fraud". These are federal offenses and whoever built it is a moron of an incalculable level.

Let's put it in another perspective for Jim.

Jim, imagine when the day comes that you (or your family or estate) needs to move your "documented '67 21-window" that you've currently owned for 31 years, only to find that a new buyer can't properly get title or register the vehicle because another one with the same VIN shows up in some other state's or country's database as registered to another vehicle/owner. What would you do, or expect your family or estate to do?

Forget the value of these 23W buses in question. If you own any classic car what's happening here should give you concern.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

jimgraydesigns wrote:
I have been following this thread since Everett put it up on June 16 and I have to say it has been educational and interesting on equal levels...

I was at Bonhams this year, but missed the Bus by a few hours...
When it showed up at Lew's Classic Motorcars in Jacksonville a week later,
I contacted him about some discrepancies I found in both the Bonhams photos and the ones that Lew had taken for his site.
He was very receptive to the issues; in fact, when I told him it might be a forgery and offered some supporting facts, he was appreciative.

There was never any doubt in their minds that it wasn't real.
It was only after I raised some questions about its past and mentioned a few details that Everett had relayed onto me, did Lew start to think he might have an issue. He is a very nice person, who has a wonderful collection of cars and spends his time finding and buying things he likes.

I reached out to Rupert at Bonhams who was responsible for the listing and received a nice short response that they were taking this very seriously and would not comment any further.

I took my Dad home today and had to pass through Jacksonville, so I called Lew and asked if I could stop by and meet him and see his collection.
Of course, I wanted to look over the Bus.
He was gracious and forthcoming and feels really weird about the whole situation. He mentioned he had dealt with Bonhams for 6 years; spent a lot of money with them and was confident they would get this resolved.

I left after 45 minutes feeling really good about Lew.
He may be another victim in a long line of buyers?
I will say this... I would buy a car from him...no question.

I have read all the threads since Everett posted the first one and I wonder if this couldn't be an authentic '59 with a bad BC and a number of 'mistakes' that frankly, very few people would ever know. It certainly got by the folks at Bonhams if it turns out to be a fake.

By the way, Lew told me today that he had lowered the asking price to $125,000 (still high, I told him) and changed the copy from a "documented original" to a "meticulously restored tribute" Bus, which I thought was the right thing to do. He went so far as to ask me what I thought the Bus might be worth if it indeed turns out to be a tribute and we spoke at the same time
$60-$70,000.

For that, I would have to think long and hard about NOT buying it and the thought of owning anything that wasn't real has never been an option for me...but it sure looks good and sits well~

Certainly, someone owes Lew an apology and a very big check.
He said he would stay in touch with me and I think he is genuinely concerned about how this plays out... I know I am.

Stay well and safe, All ~
Best regards,
Jim Gray
Jim Gray Designs
jimgraydesigns.com

There is a lot to unpack here.

The first thing I would say is that you need to talk to both a lawyer and an a state automobile investigator before buying such a bus. There is potential legal liability of knowingly buying and owning something that has had the serial number tampered with.

Anybody who is knowingly selling a fraudulent car with a tampered VIN is someone whom I would not consider a nice person. I would consider that the person is trying to defraud me.

Did Lew act like this was news to him? The actual owner of the real bus with that VIN number reached out to him days ago with the information that his bus was fraudulent.

As to the "tribute car" thing, copying a VIN number is something that I have not seen on a tribute car before. That would be like super attention to detail, except they got virtually everything wrong about it. The color, the bumpers, the taillight location, the number of doors, the walkthrough section, the arrangement of their fake M-code plate, etc. This is not a tribute, this is fraud, and they got away with it until someone shined a light onto it.

so the best advice I can give you is:
DO NOT EVER CONSIDER BUYING A CAR WITH A FRAUDULENT VIN NUMBER.
That is just straight up foolish. Anybody who knowingly buys a fraud like this deserves the huge loss they will take. The people who built this bus gave it a death sentence the moment they stamped the fraudulent VIN onto it. Don't waste your good money on something bad.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

The bus is worth ZERO dollars as it may be impounded any minute.

Maybe LESS than ZERO by lots if there are fines (or jail) associated with selling or possessing a vehicle with VIN issues. Especially knowing that it's a fake.

Sorry, but the bus needs to be parted out and crushed.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

The ad has been pulled from both sites. That does take some time, typically the owner themselves are not savvy enough, they have to get their marketing dept to do it

If I was "Lew" I would lock that thing up and start calculating a storage / shipping bill. Bonham's is legit and will want nothing to do with this except make it right. I suspect they have a binding contract and will get their money back, "Lew" will get his money back and the bus will go to the authorities to figure it out. we may never know what happens (oh but I do hope to learn more)
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
The ad has been pulled from both sites. That does take some time, typically the owner themselves are not savvy enough, they have to get their marketing dept to do it

Thanks for the update.

I was told it was pulled earlier today but it was only gone from their "Inventory" page but was still on their Home Page and the direct link worked too so I was going to check back toight.

I can 2nd that everything is gone now.

I wasn't surprised that the auction house didn't reply to people, they may have been getting their ducks in a row legally and didn't want anything posted in public at all.
The car dealer... Maybe similar but I personally would have replied to say "it's being worked on, more information later" or something similar since they were the current owner.

I hope we do hear some results of what happens in the end.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimgraydesigns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

Hello All ~

Thanks for the comments and perspectives... a few clarifications:

I have NO interest in buying this Bus; certainly not a tribute and not an example that has so many questionable issues. I am very happy with my '67 21-window.

I agree with all the comments regarding anyone who tampers with the identity of an item (car, watch, art, etc) and never intended to appear to defend such an act of illegal practice. I was only trying to convey my impression of Lew when I met him. I believe he was the victim in this case and not someone who was trying to add to the fraud. I would hate to be wrong about that~

At no point did he deny the possibility of the Bus being a fraud once the details were brought to light. In fact, he was full of questions. Remember, he is not a VW enthusiast (apart from that cool SP2 he has for sale) and seems to know very little about the brand beyond the obvious demand for these Buses.

As I said, I found him very concerned and forthcoming and he is well into an investigation with Bonhams. I understand the scenario presented if it were any of our legitimate vehicle identities being stolen, how we would feel.

Please, don't think for a minute, I was giving anyone responsible for this a 'pass'
I'm as concerned as you~

What I would like to know is WHO is responsible for this Bus?
Where has it been and who has owned it? Who is Gephart (?) the name on the Birth Certificate?

Everett mentioned that it was For Sale earlier this year on The Samba?
Has anyone reached out to them?
Were they the one who sold it through Bonhams?
Is it possible it started out as a real 23-window in '59 and didn't have any VIN or M-code plate when found? Possibly?

Again, I'm not suggesting this isn't a very serious offense... I'm only curious like the rest of you as to what really transpired here? Just so we're clear.

I thought the site was taken down this morning, but it is still up?
The Bus is still For Sale? That concerns me a bit. I have suggested to Lew that he take it down until Bonhams can unravel this mess... I can't speak for Lew, but I think he would like nothing more than to have his 100k refunded and get as far away from this situation as possible. he just doesn't strike me as someone who wants all this attention.

In fact, I think he likes a low profile.
I'm the same way about a lot of things...

I hope this clarifies things a bit?
Maybe my language in the previous post was too 'accepting' sounding?
I certainly didn't mean to come across that way.

Stay well and safe everyone~
Peace.
J~
jimgraydesigns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

A quick update...
I texted Lew earlier and he responded that his email and phone have been "blowing up" today~
He assured me that Bonhams was working through it and as Everett pointed out, they are not at all interested in responding to any questions until they unravel this.

It may take a while to get the details out of Bonhams, but I think Lew will share them with whenever he finds out, if for no other reason than the fact that we've recently met and had a good chat...

Stay Tuned, All ~
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

Man, this has been quite the Scooby-Doo mystery. Now all that's left is the unmasking of the villan who created this forgery. And he would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids. Very Happy
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

Hopefully they are able to trace this all the way back to the people who constructed this fraud.

This will be painfully expensive for someone.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

Hi,

this is the outcome of the museum’s investigation:

The BC was originally issued by the musem and is valid. But they made a mistake with the build date. Of course it should read 1958.

"Hallo Herr XXX,

wir haben nun in unserer Datenbank und in der Wagenstammkartei recherchiert. Die Urkunde ist von uns im Oktober 2017 ausgestellt worden.

Sie haben aber recht: Beim Baudatum hat sich bei der Jahreszahl ein Fehler eingeschlichen. Der Wagen ist 1958 gebaut worden.

Alle weiteren Daten sind korrekt.

Beste Grüße

XXX
Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen
Dieselstraße 35
38446 Wolfsburg"
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

So I guess ANYONE w/a VIN number can order a BC. Doesn't need proof of ownership and/or other documentation to get one?

Kind of disturbing.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

Tizian wrote:
<snip>...they made a mistake with the build date. Of course it should read 1958.

How lame. So, this brings into question the accuracy of any BC they provide. While most are probably okay, one must always be wary of the possibility of human error at the point of origination.
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Restored 23-Window feedback Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
So I guess ANYONE w/a VIN number can order a BC. Doesn't need proof of ownership and/or other documentation to get one?

Kind of disturbing.

That's a pretty well known thing. I believe it says it requests proof of ownership, but that's not the case.

I personally have ordered a birth certificate and all I needed to send in was the information I had. Model, VIN, etc. At no point was I asked for proof of ownership.

With that being said, it's something that can be a nuisance in cases like this. Having your own proof of ownership and the physical product (the bus itself) is what matters at the end of the day.

Having a birth certificate created for a bus you do not own is a stupid idea, clearly, but it's just a fancy way of cloning someone else's bus. There's many other ways to copy a bus, and to be quite frank it's a lot easier than people think. All it takes is a good quality build thread, or photos of a well documented bus and its history and you can mimic all of that on some clunker that was dragged from the bottom of a lake, or stolen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: