Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

US west coast road trip
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwhiteknight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

I am planning a long trip in my 1970 standard beetle this September from Tacoma, WA to Los Angeles, CA along hwy 1 and hwy 101. It has a 1300cc dual-port with a 4-speed manual.

My bug is my daily driver, in very good working order. I'm planning to bring hand tools, a strap, my AAA card, and some spare parts (belt, clutch/throttle/brake cables, extra bulbs, etc.), but what I am mostly curious to hear about is advice from folks who have done this drive in a classic bug or van before.

How many hours driving per day? What obstacles did you encounter that you didn't expect? Is seven days a reasonable time frame to sight see along the route while making time? What are some destinations I simply cannot miss? Do you know of any air-cooled shops along the route to visit? Does your clutch leg get fatigued after awhile? Any places to avoid?

Thank you!
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

I've done some long road trips and some long races in a beetle. I just did a long RV trip, towing my beetle from Washington, through Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and back to Oregon.

With a 10 gallon tank, there are a lot more stops. You may consider, even if it's temporary, getting one of those 12.5 gallon tanks, just for this trip. Download the gasbuddy app if you like to save a few bucks on fuel. We saw fuel for $5.40 a gallon in Mojave Valley, but with the app, we found a station a mile away that had fuel for $2.77.

I think it's worth it to grease all the bearings and CV's - I like to do the occasional jiggle test, where I shove the side of the car and listen for loose bearings. I'd rather snug up a spindle nut in a parking lot, than have a torn up car on the side of the road. I don't carry a ton of tools, but it's nice to have a spare distributor that's already set-up with a clamp installed at the right timing location, so that you can pop it in with one 13mm nut, and get back on the road.

For whatever reason, I notice people act strange around a bug when driving, I think either they want to see the car, or they don't want to be near an 'unpredictable' classic vehicle. It also doesn't have a 3rd brake light, so slamming on your brakes may not be a smart move.

I noticed when driving, particularly in California and Arizona, that the road surface conditions are pretty bad, which can slow you down, and beat up the car. Bad cross winds will blow a little light bug all over the place too - not to mention the semi truck wind wash.

Personally I can drive about 6-8 hours without feeling too cranky. The gas pedal foot certainly will get cramped. Get used to every stop, someone telling you their life story about how they owned a bug one time Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

I used to do Portland to Hawthorne CA in 15 hours via I-5 in a bug (I don't recommend this). Seven days should be fine on Hwy 1/101 and sounds relaxing. Be careful on Oregon 101; it can be a little treacherous (not because of the cliffs; I'm talking about the other drivers). For long distances in a vintage vw in the summer, I recommend ear plugs and a towel on the seat; it is loud and you will sweat. At each stop, grab the dipstick with your bare hand to see how tough you are. That's all I can think of. Sounds like an awesome trip!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

i drove the northern part of the 101 in Washington around Olypmic in a rental Jeep Grand Cherokee. the road surface is rough, not that is has potholes, but the surface is rough, in places its a chip slurry or chip seal with loose aggregate on the shoulders and at the intersections. it was fatiguing in a modern "luxury SUV"

in Oregon the road surface was way better and there are some great side trips within 3-4 miles of the 101 that the beetle can do (like the well traveled gravel road to Munson Creek Falls) so be the look out for the unexpected park sign. they are a great place to let the engine cool and to stretch your legs.

take lots of pictures to share with us, this sounds epic.

BiWerks Design, LLC
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

for me 300 miles a day is about it. Coming down on the 5 or down the coast? down the 5 is 2 lanes each side and the truck traffic beats the hell out of the highway. really bad with a vw the second lane is full of people in faster cars zipping around you.
I would skip LA its a suck hole filled with homeless. its a plague riddle disaster watch where you step, pass it and drive the extra miles to San Diego and the beach communities below LA. have a good trip and make sure your car is up on maintenance there are long stretches if you have trouble your going to sit awhile so be prepared. A properly prepared and maintained VW Beetle is hard to kill and most problems are an easy fix. Have a fun safe trip.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

101 should be a cooler (temperature wise) trip, compared to I-5. And seven days should be a nice, leisurely pace. I’d keep the driving down to whatever doesn’t make you think you’re in a rush.

You might want to check out Gold Beach in Oregon. Really nice beach, and always cool weather. And nearby in Port Orford, there’s an attraction called Prehistoric Gardens. It’s right near Gold Beach. You may not be into browsing and looking at the 23 full-size dinosaurs they have, but you’ll love the tropical-like forest. It’s beautiful, and cool, especially on a hot day.

Further south, Trinidad, California is also a nice beach town. They have a few nice seafood restaurants there, too, near the beach.

I’ve never driven a 1300 before, so I don’t know how much downshifting you’ll have to do on hills, but it won’t be anywhere near as bad as commuting in stop-and-go traffic. So, you might want to pass by San Francisco, with all the hills. I’ve driven there many times in the past—when everyone had a Bug—but I never liked taking off in first gear at the top of a steep-ass hill in that town. Besides, San Francisco is full of orcs now, so I would just pass it over.

I’ve found that many other drivers give me a break when on the highway i my Bug. I go a steady 65-67 mph, and they pass me by without any fuss. I have driven it down to Sacramento on I-5, and the other driver’s attitudes are not much different than when driving our new Honda. But you’ll be on 101, so things might be a little slower. Highway 1 may still have portions that are not intact, so check before you go.

Have fun.

Tim

Edit: here’s a pic of the wife at Prehistoric Gardens.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard O'Brien
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

I used to drive from Tampa to Atlanta regularly in a 71 Ghia. Always wished I had the vent wing windows of a Beetle in the summer.
I never carried a spare distributor. I think that is for the people that use the electronic points replacements and don’t trust them. Nevertheless, I had a Pertronix 1 in my distributor and never thought twice about it. I did carry some oil, a spare throttle cable, clutch cable and generator belt as well as some electrical connectors and a few feet of 14 gauge wire as well as all the tools necessary to change those parts. What I never had though was a spare tire. Didn’t have one. Good thing I never needed it.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

I've done 101 to LA in my 74 vert several times. It's an awesome drive, but not one to take if you're in a hurry. I would figure 300 miles a day. It can be a tiring ride in bug.

By the 2nd trip I remembered to put my top back up before hitting the Golden Gate Bridge. I found the almost instantaneous drop of 25 degrees with mist heading over the bay to be not so bueno. Shocked

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

First off enjoy the trip. The distance depends on you seat and how long you want to drive. 300 to 499 is what I have done. Just depends upon weather road traffic etc. Sounds as if you know your car, most important.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

Most I ever did in one stretch in my VW was Santa Barbara back to Tempe AZ.

Google says 477 miles. 1835cc engine, Labor Day 1979. No, the engine did not "melt" !!! Gas shortage then, had to fill up near Indio.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

Drive slow enjoy the ride

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

Driving down 101 is less about the car, it is about you. Including navigating constant sharp corners, not to neglect the several 100ft cliff off to side ( frequently without guardrails) into the ocean.

Yeah it's a great trip . If you average 300 it's plenty. Mainly because around every corner is a place you'll want to stop and check out..
Nbraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

You might want to check out Airhead Parts Treffen they hold annually. They go about the route you want to go. They usually only go 300 or so miles a day...usually 10 days to go from the Canadian Border to the Mexican border. You can do it all or just sections. Lots of good people, nice bugs and vans. I have done sections but not the whole thing. They skipped last year with the Covid and all but may do it this year. A complete blast. Plus you travel with like minded people and possible help if it's needed. Good luck.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

stevebaz wrote:

I would skip LA its a suck hole filled with homeless. its a plague riddle disaster watch where you step, pass it and drive the extra miles to San Diego and the beach communities below LA. have a good trip and make sure your car is up on maintenance there are long stretches if you have trouble your going to sit awhile so be prepared. A properly prepared and maintained VW Beetle is hard to kill and most problems are an easy fix. Have a fun safe trip.

Yep L.A. sucks. Don't come here Rolling Eyes

But if you if you do take a wrong turn and end up in underworld - or if you need a hand with something on the way through, PM me.

I do agree that San Diego and the Beach communities are worth seeing, but it's a way down the 5 to get there. Worth it for the food!

Enjoy the drive and take it easy.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

I second the beaches! Huntington Beach is one of my favorites, as it is home. San Clemente state beach is my second choice!

And, if you need assistance during your time through my area or within 20 miles of it, hit me up. Always willing to lend a hand!

Have fun, keep the schedule liquid and enjoy the moment you are in! That’s my life’s motto!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

Just a quick note on your spare clutch cable. Make sure to carry a spare proper clutch wing nut or two! When the cable breaks that nut is LONG gone somewhere on the road...or off the side. I usually keep a couple with me and have sometimes lent one to the cause haha. Have a blast, I'd love to do something similar someday.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
Just a quick note on your spare clutch cable. Make sure to carry a spare proper clutch wing nut or two! When the cable breaks that nut is LONG gone somewhere on the road...or off the side. I usually keep a couple with me and have sometimes lent one to the cause haha. Have a blast, I'd love to do something similar someday.

And have a little container of grease too ! And maybe some cable ties or bread bag ties or rubber bands, if you're inexperienced !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

Who said Oregon roadways are great. They suck, at least they do here in Washington County. Damn studded tires should be outlawed. They tear up the roadway and groove the intersections. In a beetle you spend time trying to keep the car centered in the lane when coming to a stoplight.

I agree that the OP should carry a spare tuned, timed distributor for the trip.
A couple quarts of oil (you can't get VR-1 in the peoples republic) and a good spare tire are a must to.
You can buy HD throttle cables from ACN. They will never break during normal operation. Otherwise just keep your AAA card handy if needed.

A coastal drive is a nice cool drive. 3-400 miles a day will give you plenty of time to enjoy the sights that abound along the route.
That is until you get below Santa Barbara. Then things heat up a bit. Once you move inland. Expect the heat to be brutal. I've seen outside temps in Thousand Oaks hit 100°F plus in September. Be prepared for that.

Take lots of pics and post them during your trip. We all love a good road trip.

Above all. Enjoy the drive! You'll never forget the trip. Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

... (you can't get VR-1 in the peoples republic) ...

Baxter Auto Parts has sae 30 VR-1
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: US west coast road trip Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

... (you can't get VR-1 in the peoples republic) ...

Baxter Auto Parts has sae 30 VR-1

I get it at NAPA. I'm not driving to Delta Park to buy oil. Very Happy

I meant in California. You cannot get it there.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: