Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adventure Van Expo
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

https://www.adventurevanexpo.com/

Any one plan on attending any of these?

The Mt. Hood edition is this weekend and I’m going. Partly to explore Hood River, but mainly to escape the family I’ve been quarantined with for ages and be around like minded folk.

A different crowd than a VW or Syncro event, or Descend, butnthere is crossover. I went to the Tahoe one in 2019, and while small, I got to see some cool rigs, get some ideas, and most importantly meet some cool people.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

Ohh, this weekend is short notice but Hood River is an easy run from my place in Oregon City. Might have to check that out! Thanks for the tip!!

EDIT: My wife says, "Duh, we should go do that!"

So I guess I'm going Razz
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

I went to the one in Big Bear, CA in 2019. Found the vendors had interesting accessories and there were interesting things done to the vans. Only very small VW presence, because the growing market is all based on other vans, but still interesting and had a good time. My Syncro (in the parking lot) got a lot of lo0oks and a few questions.

By the way, the cover photo on the website looks like the Big Bear evetn I went to. Probably is.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:
Ohh, this weekend is short notice but Hood River is an easy run from my place in Oregon City. Might have to check that out! Thanks for the tip!!

EDIT: My wife says, "Duh, we should go do that!"

Admission is free if you’re not camping. Easy to combine with other stuff in the surrounding area, which is what I did before.

If other PDXers are interested, it could be fun to meet up for a spell. A counter protest of sorts? Anyway, Juneary is supposed to be over with nice weather for the weekend

Show the Sprinter crowd an OG van.

Volkswagen: 70 years of #vanlife

Last edited by vegpedlr on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:
My wife says, "Duh, we should go do that!"

I’m guessing she wants a bigger camper.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

Hi all lets show these guys how it's done in a Vanagon. I'll be there with Vino for sure. I hope I can meet some fellow Samba folks finally. The picture on the site for hood river is of Mount Hood Meadows, from last year, this year is in Odell at the fair grounds, it's a very nice place. Hope to see you there. mark
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
GoEverywhere wrote:

Nope! Our Riviera is a member of the family, she even refers to it by name (Vanny DeVito). Its just fun to see how other rigs work... Besides, she'd never drop 150K on a Sprinter conversion when we're less than 10K in our Vanagon Razz
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
GoEverywhere wrote:

Size matters? Shocked Laughing

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

I have to work tomorrow morning, but I should be up before lunch. Hoping to meet a few of y’all face to face.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

I'll be headed that way around 10AM, will probably go up old Highway 30 because I-84 is no fun.

Should be there 11:30-noonish depending on how many times I stop to take photos along the way...
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

See you there. Cool
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

Ill be at the Tahoe one. Round the corner from home

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

Well, that was a lot of nearly identical sprinter vans for the most part. It was fun, but it just re enforced why I like my Riviera so much.

Did find a company selling some very cool vents you roll up in your windows that he JUST released a set that fits the Vanagon. Might have to grab those.

Most of the other parts suppliers either weren't sure what a Vanagon WAS or didn't have parts for vintage campers...

Saw two Westies in the lot though, so that was nice. No owners in site to say high to however...
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:
Sodo wrote:
GoEverywhere wrote:

Nope! Our Riviera is a member of the family, she even refers to it by name (Vanny DeVito). Razz

It's probably too late now, but Vanny Dedito makes good sense too.

Thanks for the report.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

Do you happen to have a picture of these vents? Any link to the company?

GoEverywhere wrote:

Did find a company selling some very cool vents you roll up in your windows that he JUST released a set that fits the Vanagon. Might have to grab those.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Do you happen to have a picture of these vents? Any link to the company?

GoEverywhere wrote:

Sure do, I found them on their website. He said they were JUST released, look like a good way to keep the breeze coming in without bugs or people getting into the van..

https://www.terrawagen.com/collections/vanagon-tra...ransporter
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

Well camp sprinter was interesting and I'm glad I went. There were actually five Vanagons there Two Syncro's, One was Rons Riviera and I think it was Steve's Westy, a nice gold reg Westy and two tin tops. Had real nice chats with most of the owners, all really nice folks. We were scattered in a sea of sprinters, after looking in a few I felt a little envy at the added living and storage space. That faded quickly when looking at how big it is on the outside. I think I'll stick with my Vanagon, altho a high top for some extra storage mite be nice. Hi to everyone who stoped buy. Happy Camping Mark
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

I had a blast. The Tahoe event to before didn’t have on-site camping so it wasn’t as easy to hang out and meet people. Camping at this event was great, tons of cool people with more variety in rigs than expected. A couple vintage trailers, 4x4 Ford vans, a teardrop, Astros, a couple skoolies etc. I was stoked that the Overland gear guy was there so I could see a couple of storage pouches up close. I got a cool kitchen organizer and atlas pouch for the driver’s seat.

Anybody have a link or picture of these vents? I missed those.

Unfortunately when I arrived at noon, traffic and parking was a total disaster, I couldn’t get into the camping area, and had to park what felt Govy and hike in. It all worked out in the end. Super fun meeting vino de vano, hearing 24hrs of Lemons race stories from the Terrawagen crew, and finding a local shop to help me modify my cabinets.

Sprinter envy? Just their garages, being to store bikes inside. Otherwise I like my little VW.

Really excited for Descend.
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Van Expo Reply with quote

Great to meet you too Vegpedir.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: