Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

on my 2386 turbo im torn between running 85 fuel yes i have every component including the PTFE fuel line fuel pump etc.But also during my build i decided maybe not go e85 and go 91 octane with a boost cooler and bought all the components for that set up also.Now

in the realm of 17 -20 lbs boost.

What would make for a better overall experience running 91 or e85.

I would love to hear all experiences Thanks in advance
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

E85 has a good cooling effect due to the alcohol along with more octane. Down side is you use up to 30% more to get the same power.

It has less tendency to cause detonation and you can run higher timing because of that giving more power.
Along that you can probably run higher boost too.

I've got 91-92 pretty well figured out to 23-25 lbs.

I found the key is to keep intake temps as close to ambient as possible. I do that by running Water/Alcohol mix and a small intercooler.
In the spring and fall I can keep my intake temps below 90*F at 23 lbs. boost.

I use the IAT retard feature in MS2 to lower timing if the IAT's go over 95-100 degrees.

Running over 17-20 lbs. you want to do everything you can to keep IAT's low.....
I found 130*F IAT's are the critical point...at least for me......there is a difference of at least 7 degrees timing between those temps.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

The trouble i have found running E85 is you have no real idea what your temps are since you get a reading before the fuel. I haven't experienced any problems with detonation (yet) either though. I'm not sure if it even reduces intake temps since the intake charge is already there when the fuel is sprayed?? The 116 octane or whatever it is, certainly helps though!
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

thanks for the responses keep em coming if you can if someone missed something let us know thanks in advance
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

What is your set-up? That might decide for you.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

I'm running 93 octane with water/meth injection. (washer fluid)

It's nice because I can get fuel anywhere.

16psi (so far) no problem.

Oldschool side-draft carb with no intercooler.

Adding the water/meth was easy.
Boy did it add some power thou..
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

C16!

I've never ran water meth or e85. But plan to.. just not sure which yet. Leaning toward water methanol in addition to a air-to-water (ice) intercooling.

Motor is at paradise.. cant' wait. New trans is underway also.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

C16 = $16 per gallon...

NOt really street fuel...
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

I use a flex fuel sensor with my MegaSquirt set up, so can run one or another if necessary.

I prefer the e85 if its available though, because I can only run about 8psi on 89octane with no intercooler or water/meth system. I hit 24psi at the drag strip this year on e85. No detonation or other ill effects noted.

Like was mentioned earlier, your setup will help make your decision. If you wanna do an intercooler and/or water/meth, set up for pump gas and use any gas station around. If you wanna go e85 and have the accessability to it, go that route. A lot less piping and systems required imho.

Oh, also as mentioned above, gas mileage will suffer with e85, and you need some bigger injectors to pump all that fuel in the chambers while still having a safe (>85%) duty cycle.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
C16 = $16 per gallon...

NOt really street fuel...

lol.. ya, no shit, Sir Surprised
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

I was thinking no intercooling with drawthrough. Water meth maybe though. Injected you can do whatever you want.
andor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: what make for a better experience e85 or 91 w/boost cooler Reply with quote

Best result is e85 and intercooler.
Some argue that it’s a downside that you use 30% more fuel with e85, I can’t see any downsides iwith that. E85 is at the same time 30% less expensive per gallon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: