Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going to look a Vanagon today, any advice? (now with pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look a Vanagon today, any advice? (now with pics) Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Interesting that it once had air conditioning. Suggests that it may have started life further south.

Very interesting indeed. How can you tell?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look a Vanagon today, any advice? (now with pics) Reply with quote

73superduperbeetle wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:
Interesting that it once had air conditioning. Suggests that it may have started life further south.

Very interesting indeed. How can you tell?

I too thought that the presence of some AC parts might indicate it came from a hotter clime.

In one front end pic, I see AC lines and what might be the condenser? (cylinder thing). I don't see a compressor in engine bay though.

Some fuel hoses in engine bay might've been replaced but to me, the clamps at hoses to "T" fuel pressure test port might be original.

The hoses to expansion tanks also look original and in need of attention.

Of what I can see of underside, it looks better than I thought it would.

The long steel coolant pipes look factory. Inspect rear 1/3 of each for rust, paint bubbling. They look like they may be ok though which might be another clue that it's spent some of its' life in a dry non salted roads clime.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look a Vanagon today, any advice? Reply with quote

73superduperbeetle wrote:
So it sounds like I should be able to get my hands on a Z-bed i can install in this van here in town. Everything else I really feel like I can handle. Like, straightening out the electrical doesn't phase me at all. Oh, and no kiddos: just me, the husband, and a corgi.

My biggest holdup is that there is an outside possibility I might have a lead on buying a tin-top syncro here in town. Supposed to be in nice condition but year, mileage, and potential asking price are unkinown at this time. Its almost certainly outside my current budget, but like I said, the VW fund grows every pay period.

Apart from them being awesome, getting a syncro would mean that I would be holding to the mighty oath I swore when I got my then 2wd '92 F150 stuck in wet grass and had to be pulled out by my mom's Saturn. I quickly converted (yes, converted) that truck to 4wd and swore on a stack of Chilton's repair manuals that I'd never drive anything else that was only 2wd. I ended up driving that Ford another 150k miles including 3 runs on the ALCan. Somedays I really miss that one, but it was time to say goodbye when I did.

But I digress.

The question becomes, is a 2wd bird in the hand worth a ruby-throated syncro in the bush?

Just make sure you got your bird book out Very Happy

Keeping up my syncro doka is WAY more work than our nice sweet 2wd westy. Granted a bunch of the work was rust remediation the westy didn’t have, but figuring out the few wiring issues were super challenging to me even with the Bentley wiring diagram (so wire nuts and PO added stuff scares me).

We installed a limited slip differential in our 2wd and I don’t think we’ve gone anywhere yet with the doka the 2wd could not have gone. Driving around town in the winter here in glazed ice the syncro does better (nothing locked) but half that issue is that the 2wd is an automatic so you can’t respond as quickly to slip. It still does surprisingly well do to the weight distribution - much better on the water/ice than my 1990 4WD Toyota pickup truck ever was.

We’ve sunk equal dollars in both vehicles - for the doka about 80% of it is to keep it moving and functional, where as the 2wd was half that - the rest going towards upgrades and mods. Not a fair comparison for any two vehicles, but syncro’ s do seem to hit the wallet harder.

I guess I’m saying the syncro is more of a “project” for me, that I do enjoy - and a daily (mostly) driver, while the 2wd we actually use to do fun things (except this year - currently it’s a painting project Very Happy ).

Looking forward to reading about what you decide. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look a Vanagon today, any advice? (now with pics) Reply with quote

From your pics it looks good to me other than that unfortunate seam in the drivers side wheel well. The steps don't look to bad and seem fairly easy to fix. Other than that it all looks like surface rust to me. Did you look carefully at the seams behind the front wheels and all other seams as well. also rear wheel swing arm body mounts. As for the Syncro just remember it's spelled with a $, good luck in your search, you'll find your Vanagon. PS your truck and a Vanagon stock are both really only one wheel drive, but a torc biassing dif is available for 1200.00 and gives you the ability to go wherever your ground clearance will allow.

Last edited by vino de vano on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look a Vanagon today, any advice? (now with pics) Reply with quote

Sure sounds like the OP REALLY wants a syncro. So I would pass on this vanagon.

Craig
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look a Vanagon today, any advice? Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Looking it over carefully is a good idea for sure - go with the intention of NOT buying (which has never worked for me Rolling Eyes ). Rust is a buzz kill.

And make sure it’s not this one Very Happy

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/pts/d/anchorage-1984-vw-vanagon-westfalia/7333259145.html

That will buff out Laughing
Rear discs
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look a Vanagon today, any advice? (now with pics) Reply with quote

Well, whether due to impatience or impulsiveness or a realization that my project fund simply can't support a $$$yncro right now, (and to the chagrin of my husband) I pulled the trigger on this van. Look for a build thread coming soon! Very Happy
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look a Vanagon today, any advice? (now with pics) Reply with quote

Woohoo! Congrats!

Now ignore the “for sale” adds and dive into the mod/fix list/thread/suppliers gravity well. Looking forward to the new thread.

And good to have a skeptical spouse - I likely would have taken a mortgage on the house for that stupid doka by now I she didn’t also happen to live here. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: