Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Been away for years......Back with a "thing"
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I added the skid plate for now. Still just trying to get it all together to be able to drive it. Got the plates today. Its 90% race car and 10% street. It feels so crazy driving it with all the suspension. At 40mph it was darting back and forth. Checked the front toe and it had at least 3 inches of toe in. Set it to 1/4 or so and it drives straight now. Started to bed in the new brakes and get the bias set. It can never be like a car. Found out its geared very low. Should be good for the sand. It feels 110% illegal driving it on the streets. Crazy wide. Its just stupid fun.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Finally got to drive the thing. Had to put new brakes, rotors and hats on the rear. Did a test drive and needed to bed in the brakes. On the second bedding brake I lost the pressure. Leak in the line. Welding slag burnt a hole 99% thru the line and I finished it off. Went home. Changed out the line, blead the brakes and went back out to bed them in. Did about 8 or 9 bedding stops and they started feeling good. One more session and they should be good to go. Fun to drive. I've been working on it every day. My Daughter is flying in on the 10th and I want the kinks worked out so we can go drive it around the city.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

c54fun wrote:
... and I want the kinks worked out so we can go drive it around the city.

So it's for looking cool on the street, not for offroad use?

Mind you... I know that in Texas, the only offroad opportunities are on private ranch property and down at Big Bend Park. My old friend lived and worked in Texas for some time and found it very difficult to go offroad in his WW2 Jeep with V6 and bigger suspension and tires. He gave up on that and left his job there and came back to SoCal.

Here in Cali, as much as us offroaders bitch about everything getting shut down, there are STILL vastly MORE opportunities for offroading than in Texas.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
c54fun wrote:
... and I want the kinks worked out so we can go drive it around the city.

So it's for looking cool on the street, not for offroad use?

Mind you... I know that in Texas, the only offroad opportunities are on private ranch property and down at Big Bend Park. My old friend lived and worked in Texas for some time and found it very difficult to go offroad in his WW2 Jeep with V6 and bigger suspension and tires. He gave up on that and left his job there and came back to SoCal.

Here in Cali, as much as us offroaders bitch about everything getting shut down, there are STILL vastly MORE opportunities for offroading than in Texas.

Its about 5% on road and the rest off road. Mainly for going to Little Sahara sand dunes in Oklahoma. Also looking like I will be moving to Grand Junction Colorado. Tons of use there. Can race if I want to. I've heard there are some good races in Texas.
As far as Dallas there is a place called Texplex. Should be crazy fun there. Just found out about it. There is also 3 or 4 Ohv parks near me.
I took it to a car show last weekend. Really fun hearing the peoples reactions to it.

c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Just got back from checking out Grand Junction Colorado to move to. That was the reason for buying the buggy, trailer and truck. Stopped in and talked to the people at Adrenaline Driven Adventure. Very very helpful of where to go ride which is thousands and thousands of acers. I cant wait to move there.

Had to move the truck and buggy to the street so the realtors picture people could take pictures of the house and garage. ( they never showed up Evil or Very Mad ) Buggy looked crazy sitting on the street next to the curb.
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

That think is sick! Like a class 10 car with four seats
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Plenty of room for a spare tire and cooler in the back seat Very Happy
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

I finally moved to Colorado and my house is 2 minutes from the desert. Unlimited miles to go play. So much fun out there. Got it pretty much set up now. Works great out in the dirt. Suspension feel awesome. So much fun.

rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Great looking car !!! I'm surprised the motor was not set to some degrees of incline to increase ground clearance.

Also congrats on the new locale and digs. I have thought about moving west for some period of time just for the offroad opportunities.
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
Great looking car !!! I'm surprised the motor was not set to some degrees of incline to increase ground clearance.

Also congrats on the new locale and digs. I have thought about moving west for some period of time just for the offroad opportunities.

Thanks rayjay,
I've been planning to move near the mountains for a very long time. Finally did it. I had my truck and trailer with the thing in it with way to much other things, definitely over loaded and went over Monarch pass in the winter. I didn't even know what Monarch pass was. Yikes.... Super beautiful but not so much fun with a loaded down truck and trailer.
Now I can drive out of my garage and in about 1 mile enter the desert.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: