Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Jael is leaving the house
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

I've enjoyed watching your adventures and getting to meet you and check out your Syncro in person, Ron. Thanks for the tips, suggestions, and van-saving advice.

My next door neighbors are retired and have a boat up in Everett. I have no idea what kind of boat, but it's one that they can live on. I'm actually watching them out my window as they pack the car for their annual trip to the PNW; they'll spend the next three months cruising around the San Juans.

I was working on my van one day and he came over and said, "when you're done tinkering with that thing and are ready to move up to a boat, let me know."

It seems like a boat is the next step up, like a doctorate program for wanderers.

Best of luck!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com

Last edited by joetiger on Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

Wow, Ron, we're going to miss you around here!

Best of luck to you and your wife in your continuing adventure!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

'Gonna miss you Ron.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

Ron's boat!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

You've been a fantastic contributor, Ron .. We're all going to miss having you around.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

Watched that video. Pretty funny.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

I think this thread and the sale of the van is a little misleading. He states that he is selling the van to buy a Boat and sail away. I think the truth is that he tired of tinkering with a 30 year old VW and has moved to a newer but less versatile platform. That JEEP he bought plus the roof top tent and what ever add goodies must have sucked up most of the proceeds from the van sale.

I agree it is sad to see a creative guy move on but I think we were only really told half of the story.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I think this thread and the sale of the van is a little misleading. He states that he is selling the van to buy a Boat and sail away. I think the truth is that he tired of tinkering with a 30 year old VW and has moved to a newer but less versatile platform. That JEEP he bought plus the roof top tent and what ever add goodies must have sucked up most of the proceeds from the van sale.

I agree it is sad to see a creative guy move on but I think we were only really told half of the story.

Stacy

The real truth is that boats are way more expensive than Vanagons.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

Just like we have #vanlife the boating community has #boatlife , a place where two people think they are going to do Waterworld on internet clicks.

One difference is the sea can kill you like a bug, very quickly
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

Where do we go to follow the front spoiler project on the jeep? Let alone the bike racks, fender flares, remarkable interior storage mods, etc. etc.?

Actually, I think Ron is moving to a boat to avoid the transmission woes.

Lastly, if the boat can't be a Jael, what will it be named?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:

Stacy

It’s interesting how others perceive what is happening in someone else’s life. I began sailing as a small boy on inland lakes in Illinois. We have sailed for years along the west coast and have owned a boat berthed in Kona Kai. Coastal cruising from the Pacific Northwest and down in Mexico was very enjoyable. We had always planned to retire and enjoy the ocean again. The Jeep was purchased long before we decided to let someone else enjoy our Syncro. We still wanted an overland rig to continue exploring. I have always enjoyed wrenching things and the Vanagon was always a fun project to work on. I still have vintage VW vehicles. The new owner will reap the rewards from my labors.

The Gladiator and Phoenix camper platform is a very versatile. Maybe even more than the Vanagon. But nonetheless it’s a different platform.

Cheers everyone! Very Happy Ron

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

Let me know if you come into to SAN on your cruises. I’m also part time I Laguna beach but boatless there.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

The Gladiator and Phoenix camper platform is a very versatile. Maybe even more than the Vanagon. ]

Now you should Tarred & Feathered out of the forum! Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

Repaint the Jeep Orly Blue or Assuan Brown and we'll let you stay on the forum, but only if you then take us for a sail.

Duncan, Member OPBYC
SyncroBouree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

Dear Ron,

Whilst we've visited many of the same wonderful sites as you and your wife, we've done so at different times and so have not had the pleasure of meeting you out-n-about.

However, by virtue of this platform, we've certainly enjoyed the benefit of your presenting your modifications, operational experiences, and some delightful and skillfully authored travelogues. Having just seen this thread after having returned home from a 1380mi round trip in our Syncro Westy to rendezvous with friends in Shedd, OR, I wanted to be sure to thank you for all of those contributions, and express my appreciation (albeit without benefit of a handshake) for your person.

Wishing you fair winds and following seas, and an abundance of good health and high spirits for all that comes next.

Cheers!
1979 Harley Lowrider -- Donated to a good home
1969 Ford Bronco Half-Cab 351W, Toploader, Dana 44 FE, Detroit Locker, Duffy’s Suspension – wish I still had it
1962 GMC 3/4T Fleetside, V6<-Chevy 409 w/factory headers, Camper/Tow Rig – ditto
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

It's a tough decision to sell a really nice Syncro camper that you have poured your heart and soul and wallet into. Best of luck to you.
Otis

Just a regular guy
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Jael is leaving the house Reply with quote

Hi Ron

I just wanted to thank you for all of the excellent content you have provided and for demonstrating some of the most positive aspects of Vanagon ownership. I’m sure it was a difficult decision for you. I commend you for moving forward in a way that best suits your life needs. Safe & happy travels!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: