Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie with a '69 bay
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vroombus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm new here though I've been anonymously drooling over all the projects for a few years. I've also wanted a bay camper since before I could drive. Looks like I finally get to join the cool kids - I just picked up a 1969 Westfalia(?) with a pop top.

Still need to do a bunch of research and it's going to be a while before it's in the garage, but as far as I know, it hasn't been messed with too much from the original (other than interior fixtures removed). It also seems to have been a desert-mobile for most of its life...maybe I'll get lucky with rust?

Goals: Get it on the road again and protected from further degradation. Then maybe we'll go for pretty. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Vroombus on Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 Reply with quote

Exterior looks pretty clean:). There will be some fun under the windshield seal, be prepared for that. The rear corners look pretty good. Yeh the interior is a bit rough but that’s fun stuff. Looks like you might have a solid foundation for your project. Go and stop, great first priorities Smile. Welcome to the disease Smile
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 Reply with quote

Looks pretty solid!
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

Interesting, chrome interior door handles, seat back passenger trim, remains of vinyl headliner on the window frames and no silver socket all make me wonder if that was originally a passenger Bus. The M plate decoder should tell more.

I'm an early Bay guy, and that is a nice, solid Bus to start with!
Have fun!
72 Baja
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

It is a good looking bus. Possibly a sunroof Bus that somebody converted. Once you decode the M Plate, that will answer everybody’s questions. Looks like you have a lot of parts there, definitely some good bones to work with. Where are you in New Mexico?

Good luck!
’65 Deluxe Build
Vroombus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

Thanks! Ugh.... I didn't get a picture of the M plate and I'm in northern New Mexico, so possession over to my house is *ahem* at about the same rate as stock top speed..... Rolling Eyes Sounds like I might have a passenger bus that's been modified, but as soon as I can get the info, I'll post!

I looked at your bus, very nice (and familiar looking paint!).

richparker wrote:
It is a good looking bus. Possibly a sunroof Bus that somebody converted. Once you decode the M Plate, that will answer everybody’s questions. Looks like you have a lot of parts there, definitely some good bones to work with. Where are you in New Mexico?

Good luck!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

Where in northern NM? We might be close.
’65 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
Interesting, chrome interior door handles, seat back passenger trim, remains of vinyl headliner on the window frames and no silver socket all make me wonder if that was originally a passenger Bus. The M plate decoder should tell more.

gut tells me that it was born a sunroof deluxe by the interior bits. front pop top section isn't right...either set too far back or something is totally fucked up

no silver socket in early campers (US delivery anyway)

body looks solid for sure.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

Skills, it looks like the forward roof is dented. I'm also curious about the lack of beltline trim or holes, is it a sunroof Kombi like I have? or no sunroof at all?
I'd like to climb all around this Bus.
72 Baja
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
jakokombi wrote:

gut tells me that it was born a sunroof deluxe by the interior bits. front pop top section isn't right...either set too far back or something is totally fucked up

no silver socket in early campers (US delivery anyway)

body looks solid for sure.
. Yeah, I don’t remember our ‘68 having the Silver Socket and it was totally stock, missing the cot but nothing else really when I bought it for $900 in 1983.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
Skills, it looks like the forward roof is dented. I'm also curious about the lack of beltline trim or holes, is it a sunroof Kombi like I have? or no sunroof at all?
I'd like to climb all around this Bus.

could be.

i saw the roof dent and almost wonder if the pop top stuff is just set there to cover the hole in the roof.

also the wardrobe closet isn't in the right position....it needs to get shoved rearward a lot.

so the more i think about it the more i wonder if some of this stuff was just shoved into place to pass it off as a westy.

dash pad is wrong too, but the ignition pod appears correct for a 68/9

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

I had this whole long post going and I got kicked out.🤬

Here’s the short version:

First pic, the roof is dented but the top is slid back as well. There’s also no wear mark on the paint from the old seal.

Second pic, you can see the top is slid over the cargo area further then it should be. Also, it looks like the electrical outlet is higher then it should be.

3rd pic, solid corners and bumper.

4th pic, the westy bench/bed is not bolted down. The headliner is wrong for a westy and it all cut up along the edges. Also, there is no sink vent.

5th pic, kick ass shift knob!

6th pic, the tall cabinet is not attached, As Skills stated. It attaches to the body with 2 brackets. This brackets are attached to the lip on the slider opening with 2 screws. The lip on this bus does not have the screw holes.

7th pic, deluxe set backs. A westy would not have coverings on the seat backs, as they would be covered with the jump seat and ice box.

8th pic, nice bumper again and a pretty complete engine to work with. Looks like it has all the German tin. I’d stroke the shit out of that thing! Zoom zoom!

Post a pic of the M plate and we’ll decide it for you.
’65 Deluxe Build
Vroombus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

Okay, here's the M plate, help!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

Unfortunately that is not the M-Plate. The M-Plate is located behind the drivers seat on the bulkhead.
’65 Deluxe Build
Vroombus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

Oops. My bad, I was wondering why I couldn't figure it out. Let's try this one!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

This doesn’t match the options on the bus in the photos. We need Busdaddy to chime in and set us straight.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=49172

Is the pop top and cargo box attached to the roof? Maybe it is a westy, as it states with the M-Plate and someone added the vinyl headliner and the bulkhead backs. Something seems fishy. 🤷‍♂️
’65 Deluxe Build
Vroombus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

I know, I got a weird one. I'll take anyone chiming in with experience and knowledge. But it's in the yard now, and the engine starts up. Any suggestions on where to start/order of tasks to get out back on the road?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

First make it stop, then make it go.

Soft brake lines, inspect and replace shoes and brake cylinders if necessary. Repack rear wheel bearings, maybe??? Tires, shocks, drain and fill transaxle, new engine oil, full engine tune up (plugs, cap, rotor, points), repack the CVs. That’s basic stuff. If it was in my driveway, I’d be taking it apart and putting it back together. See my build link in my signature line.
’65 Deluxe Build
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Maybe it is a westy, as it states with the M-Plate and someone added the vinyl headliner and the bulkhead backs. Something seems fishy. 🤷‍♂️

Nothing really fishy, someone just added the bulkhead padding and seat back panels to a Westy.
That headliner looks home brewed, but it could easily go back to wood.

That's a nice early Bay, not many like it these days, enjoy!
72 Baja
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a '69 bay Reply with quote

Looks more like a Westfalia than not, I agree, someone scored some bulkhead pads at the wrecker and home brewed their own headliner.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: