Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zerex Coolants
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

Valvoline makes quite a few Zerex coolant varieties.

Looking at their website:
https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products

I count 13 different coolants, 7 of which are described in a table on their site. There are 2 that Valvoline recommends for VWs.

Here are the 7 Zerex varieties found in their info table:

ZEREX NAME: Zerex Original
TYPE: IAT (Inorganic Additive Technology)
INHIBITOR TECHNOLOGY:Silicates
VEHICLES: Older Vehicles
COLOR: GREEN

ZEREX NAME: Zerex Dex-Cool
TYPE: OAT (Organic Acid Technology)
INHIBITOR TECHNOLOGY:Organic Acids
VEHICLES: GM, Saab, VW
COLOR: ORANGE
Note: Although they specifically list VW application, the Zerex Product Information Sheet does NOT mention meeting any VW-specific specification.

ZEREX NAME: Zerex G-05
TYPE: HOAT (Hybrid OAT)
INHIBITOR TECHNOLOGY:Silicates & Organic Acids
VEHICLES: Ford, Chrysler, European
COLOR: YELLOW

ZEREX NAME: ZEREX G-48
TYPE: HOAT (Hybrid OAT, Phosphate-free)
INHIBITOR TECHNOLOGY:NAP Free
VEHICLES: BMW, Volvo, Tesla, Mini, others
COLOR: TURQUOISE

ZEREX NAME: ZEREX Asian Vehicle
TYPE: P-HOAT (Phosphated HOAT)
INHIBITOR TECHNOLOGY: Phosphates & Organic Acids
VEHICLES: Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, KIA & other Asian vehicles
COLOR: PINK / BLUE

ZEREX NAME: ZEREX G-40
TYPE: Si-OAT (Silicated HOAT)
INHIBITOR TECHNOLOGY: Silicates & Organic Acids
VEHICLES: Mercedes-Benz, Audi, VW, Porsche, others
COLOR: PURPLE
Note: Zerex Product Information Sheet does list meeting VW specification.
TL-744J, shown also for other VAG lines: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Seat, and Skoda.

Although our vans must qualify as "older", I'm presuming the choice is between the G-05 and the G-40.

Who uses which variety and importantly why?

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?

Last edited by SyncroHead on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

I use OEM BMW coolant.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-coolant-antifreeze-82141467704

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and Peak European Vehicles coolant if I don't have BMW coolant on hand. Which I usually do.

https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-radiator-addit...3_668546_0

I'm looking forward to this thread. I am expecting great things out of it, just like a good oil thread.
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I'm looking forward to this thread. I am expecting great things out of it, just like a good oil thread.

Of course the first response is about two non-Zerex coolants! Very Happy Surprised Shocked

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I am expecting great things out of it, just like a good oil thread.

same

i think theres going to be a lot of feelings-and-anecdote based analysis.

excited!

i use peak global. its just feels like the right stuff.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

Valvoline's Zerex brand is the supplier for MB's factory coolants. I use G-05 in all my rigs, but may eventually switch to G-48, as it's the latest factory formula. They're compatible with each other.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

G05, good enough for Mercedes (multi materials and metals in coolant system) and at a time had an excellent record of robustness and reliability when mechanical systems were built in a simpler time.

I think most coolants fit the bill but it's important to use distilled water, keep those minerals out of the system.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
Of course the first response is about two non-Zerex coolants! Very Happy Surprised Shocked

Jim

Haha, of course! You should note that the Peak coolant is recommended for VWs before 1996. I don't think the 2 coolants you mentioned above should be used for the Vanagon. I think those are for modern VWs. The Zerex G-48 is phosphate free, so that's what I would use because of the water jacket seals on the waterboxers.
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I don't think the 2 coolants you mentioned above should be used for the Vanagon. I think those are for modern VWs. The Zerex G-48 is phosphate free, so that's what I would use because of the water jacket seals on the waterboxers.

Serious question. If they're good enough for new VWs, then why not our old ones?

Also, here's info on the Phosphate and Silicate status of several of these:

Zerex Dex-Cool
Phosphate Free
Silicates Free

Zerex G-05
Phosphate Free
Low Silicates

Zerex G30
Phosphate Free
Silicates Free

Zerex G40
Phosphate Free
Low Silicates

Zerex G-48
Phosphate Free
Low Silicates

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

A long time ago I accepted the fact the Zerex G05 is identical to the MBZ yellow coolant of the 90's etc. This was definitely cutting edge technology then. It is a very good choice for many applications. They may be an OE vendor to Benz. I just don't know.

For a long time it was suggested that BMW blue was the same as VW G11. I doubted this for a very long time. But I have seen enough evidence now that I know it to be true. It is confusing that VW calls it G11 and others call it G48. G48 is the industry standard terminology. Zerex G48 is on the approval lists for VW G11, BMW blue, MBZ blue and Volvo blue.

Zerex G40 is on the approval list for MBZ red (the current factory fill), VAG G12, G12+, G13, G13+. It is also on the approval list of Porsche. BMW just switched coolants but I do not yet have direct experience yet with the new product.

I know that BMW and VAG source these coolant from different manufacturers. I know enough about coolants and oils that it makes my head hurt. But I can't know everything. So I have two policies. Stick with the known good or update to the latest technology. G48 was more expensive than the red coolants for a while in my market. So I have switched many vehicles to the red/violet coolants. The factory drain interval for the red is longer, at least in VAG policy. I think that there is a reason that the euro OE's are going to red/violet coolants. My BMWs still have blue. My VAG products are filled with violet.

Whatever you do don't use the archaic green high silicate crap. And use distilled water. The theory that the "hungry" distilled water will dissolve your car is the product of too much thinking.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

this is all so confusing, that's why i use the Super Tech concentrate from Walmart with an equal part of distilled water.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

I've seen both the technical bulletins from MB about Valvoline G-05 and G-48. It's real. The only downside of G-05 is that the yellow color can be difficult to see in older plastic reservoirs which have yellowed with age. To deal with that, I add a bit of red food dye to the coolant. I'll probably need to add an FDA sticker

All the Euro brands share roughly the same metals, plastics and pliant materials used in the engines and heating systems, so one brand's coolant should work equally well in another. I can't speak to Merkin or Asian cars because I don't futz around with mediocrity.

y u rune klassik?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
G05, good enough for Mercedes (multi materials and metals in coolant system) and at a time had an excellent record of robustness and reliability when mechanical systems were built in a simpler time.

it's a poor choice for anything NOT MB. MB runs a desiccant bag in their cooling systems (yes,it's a real thing look it up)

really poor choice for anything not running this system

anyway....

bottom line any quality (multi metal) antifreeze changed out every 2-3 years with distilled water will keep a cooling system healthy.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

Jeezus cripes, ignorance blows a foul horn.

y u rune klassik?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Jeezus cripes, ignorance blows a foul horn.

right. when you mix the yellow stuff with the blue stuff you get garbage. just pointing out mixing stuff is bad and almost no DIY'er will do a 100% flush of the old shit before running whatever makes them sleep at night.

shall we bring OAT and HOAT coolants into them mix? pick the wrong one and mix the wrong stuff and you too can make sludge.

but...ignorance may blow a horn or something Rolling Eyes

not even going to say what i use because i wouldn't want poor little casey to have a stroke.... but it's good for 150k and i have witnessed it first hand. any engine i have had apart that uses it still looks new inside

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

The Mercedes TSB clearly states that G-05 and G-48 are compatible. I'm sorry to be the truthy messenger, but you don't know what you're yapping about.

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/other/antifreeze_TSB_2012_G-48.pdf

y u rune klassik?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
but you don't know what you're yapping about.

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/other/antifreeze_TSB_2012_G-48.pdf

so you mean to tell me nothing's changed in 9 years Laughing

please...log into starteckinfo and report back

that photo i posted was from a job last week on a 2011 ML

but i forget you gobble the goo of any and all things german. how many wars did they lose?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

[eyeroll]...go back and look at the original post you quoted when you launched into this ignorant tirade. The poor guy was referring to G-05. You interjected ignorance and unrelated nonsense into a discussion you clearly had no understanding about, and then proceeded to make a mess of yourself. I'm sorry, this is precisely why I don't take any of the blowhardy things you post here seriously.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

Oh, and to preempt you...I'm a hack. A total hack. I don't dispute this for a second.

y u rune klassik?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

Popcorn

BiWerks Design, LLC
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Zerex Coolants Reply with quote

I use Zerex Dex Cool- easily found at my local NAPA and other places. I think 10cent/Chris C. offered an opinion about coolant , specifically Zerex, in one of his posts.
I’ve had the coolant system apart in small stages over the past 3 Yrs for various hoses or upgrade parts, always looks clean inside .
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: