Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

starting issues
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: starting issues Reply with quote

Hey Samba,
I looked all over and I still cant figure out why my squareback wont start/ turn.

when I try to start the car, I can hear my fuel pump prime itself, but the starter wont kick over (it doesnt do anything). I replace the starter, battery, sparkplugs, and spark plug wires (all brand new).

can anyone assist me with this issue?

my next thought might be the voltage regulator. can that also be the issue?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: starting issues Reply with quote

apihor wrote:
Hey Samba,
I looked all over and I still cant figure out why my squareback wont start/ turn.

when I try to start the car, I can hear my fuel pump prime itself, but the starter wont kick over (it doesnt do anything). I replace the starter, battery, sparkplugs, and spark plug wires (all brand new).

A couple of possibilities:

On type 3 and 4....that I know of....there is a single long wire that runs almost the length of the car. Usually in a gray sheath...that plugs onto the starter with a single female connector. As the sheathing ages it shrinks up....wire gets tight....pulls loose.....no start. Look for that.

Next.....if this is an automatic.....make sure its in neutral....and then pull the cover off of the gear selector number with the two screws on the cloor. Check the neutral safety switch in there. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: starting issues Reply with quote

might just be the ignition switch on the way out, mine used to intermittently not want to start. When I changed the switch and added the hard start relay it's been fine since

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: starting issues Reply with quote

When did this problem start? What work was done recently?
Check ground straps... if poor, they can conduct voltage for low draw items like the fuel pump, but fail at high currents like the starter/solenoid.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: starting issues Reply with quote

car year? does it clunk or anything at all? headlights work?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: starting issues Reply with quote

The voltage regulator has nothing to do with starting. The spark plugs and spark plug wires also would have nothing to do with this particular issue.

Rather than guessing and wasting lots of money throwing parts at it, diagnose the problem.

1) check battery condition. What is your voltage reading between the two terminals on the battery? If it's less than 12.6v, the battery is discharged.

2) Since the issue seems to be that the starter is not activating when you turn the key to START, your focus should be there. First thing I would want to check is whether you get 12v on the wire that runs to terminal 50 on the solenoid when the key is turned to START. Check it and report back. If not, you have either a wiring problem or an ignition switch problem.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: starting issues Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
apihor wrote:
Hey Samba,

A couple of possibilities:

On type 3 and 4....that I know of....there is a single long wire that runs almost the length of the car. Usually in a gray sheath...that plugs onto the starter with a single female connector. As the sheathing ages it shrinks up....wire gets tight....pulls loose.....no start. Look for that.

Next.....if this is an automatic.....make sure its in neutral....and then pull the cover off of the gear selector number with the two screws on the cloor. Check the neutral safety switch in there. Ray

What year is your car? If it's a 68 thru 73, there's a red wire that runs under the carpet on the right side of the tunnel. There should also be a clear plastic rectangle connector under the passenger seat. It might have come disconnected there.
Like Ray mentioned, the early cars might have shrunk, disconnecting the starter solenoid wire from the starter. And AT cars do need to be in neutral to start (safety feature). It wasn't until 72 (I think) that VW allowed them to start in park.
It's also possible that you have an ignition switch (the electrical portion of it) going bad. These car getting to be almost 50 years old, and things do wear out.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: starting issues Reply with quote

Thanks Everyone!

So I have a 1971 Squareback Manual transmission. it was that cable that ran through the car ( it was splice and taped need the ignition switch by the previous owner). I think they tied to hot wire it. Also I just got it and I do not know anything about the history of the car.

Now I came across Another issue relating to my starting issue. I can get the starter to click now but nothing happen( the engine does not turn over). I did buy a new battery.

any Ideas?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: starting issues Reply with quote

I bought a $5 Remote Starter Button at Harbor Freight that is handy for trouble shooting/working alone.
Buy a pack of alligator clips too as you'll need a couple for hooking it up to your starter.
Starter Switch is probably your faulty component?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: