Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Identify Another Engine?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBadBeetleBorg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

Hello,

Could someone please help me identify the size of the engine I have in my 1962 Beetle? The engine doesn't have a legit serial number on it and is certainly an aftermarket or non-original VW engine. I'm prepping to replace a flywheel seal and flywheel in the distant future and want to start getting parts lined up for the work.

Is there something I check for before pulling the engine? Any "well a 1600 will have [blank] here" or whatnot?

I've attached some pictures of the engine. I can take more if there's somewhere that shows what you'd need to see to know.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you once again!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

It's a 1600 based engine. But it could be any size someone built it. For ancelarires, shop for 1600. For internal engine parts, you will have to tear it down and measure stroke and bore.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

1600 dual port and agree with the above
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BigBadBeetleBorg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick replies!
Just for my own knowledge and for the future, how are you identifying it so quickly? What is the characteristic that screams 1600?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

dual port boots and end castings
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Yep. Easy giveaway.

You may want to clean up that alternator wiring. It looks like it's pretty janky, and can be cut through, causing a massive short/fire.

Also that is a strange dipstick for a type I. At least I've never seen one like that. I'd be nervous about getting accurate measurements on oil level.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

Odd looking oil filler cap ...

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BigBadBeetleBorg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

Un-Janking the wires as we speak and a stock dipstick on order!
Thanks Wink
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

Vacuum hose overtop the fuel filter on the driver's side is not connected. At least I'm assuming it's a vacuum hose, dont know what else it would be.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
Vacuum hose overtop the fuel filter on the driver's side is not connected. At least I'm assuming it's a vacuum hose, dont know what else it would be.

Looks like it might have popped off of the distributor can.
bilbo939
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

This only works in the states, in the UK we got a 1300 twin port as well! A truly uninspiring engine. Only head machine and pistions-barrels away from being a 1600 though.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

I hope that case vent fitting on the bottom of your aftermarket air cleaned housing is blocked off and not sucking road dust.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

bilbo939 wrote:
Erik G wrote:

This only works in the states, in the UK we got a 1300 twin port as well! A truly uninspiring engine. Only head machine and pistions-barrels away from being a 1600 though.
They do make single port end castings.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Another Engine? Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Odd looking oil filler cap ...

Max

Looks like a more modern oil filler with upward pointing breather converted to a downward pointing breather pipe setup.

Probably still is a 1600 because only a few dedicated people would leave a 34PICT-3 carburettor on an engine where they had spent money on increasing the capacity.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: