Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring Harness
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

I'm looking for a new complete wiring harness for my 1975 Bus (fuel injection). Anyone know where to find one? I saw this one on bus depot : https://www.busdepot.com/211971028l.

And this one from CIP one: https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C17%2DWK%2D213%2D75%2D79

Anyone tried them?

I would prefer to find one that includes all the wiring for under the dash ( lights, radio, heater, etc...) and the "motor wiring" (FI, starter etc...) What would you recommend? I don't want to spend countless hours changing each wires one by one when I could just find a good harness that I can just unplug everything and start fresh.

The PO did all sort of repairs and changed wire colors, added plugs, kill switches, etc...and the bus right now is a mess (I can find at least 20 wires nots connected to anything).

New bus owner
Not a mechanic and trying to learn!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

BusDepot’s harness “includes fuel injection but not ECU harness…”

Which one is it?? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Ratwell lists this guy: http://kyleautomotivespecialties.com but he seems to only show 76 and up. Might be worth calling him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

mfemenel wrote:
Ratwell lists this guy: http://kyleautomotivespecialties.com but he seems to only show 76 and up. Might be worth calling him.

Kyle made a ‘75 for BigEmma, and we installed it last week. As always, it fits and works flawlessly.

Don’t forget the throttle position switch! Electric EGR is black, (OG was blue,) and don’t confuse it with an injector plug.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
mfemenel wrote:

Kyle made a ‘75 for BigEmma, and we installed it last week. As always, it fits and works flawlessly.

Don’t forget the throttle position switch! Electric EGR is black, (OG was blue,) and don’t confuse it with an injector plug.
Robbie

Does His harness includes radio, lights, fuel gauge, speedometer etc...? Or only the basics to run the bus...

New bus owner
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Only the fuel injection. Those stock wires can be damaged from heat and vibration. The main chassis harness is so hard for manufacturers to replicate properly I’ve always repaired what’s there. Too many slight variations; if I have to spend four hours fixing its issues, I might as well spend four hours fixing the OG harness.

Robbie
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Only the fuel injection. Those stock wires can be damaged from heat and vibration. The main chassis harness is so hard for manufacturers to replicate properly I’ve always repaired what’s there. Too many slight variations; if I have to spend four hours fixing its issues, I might as well spend four hours fixing the OG harness.

Robbie

I'm new to this.... What is OG harness?

New bus owner
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

OG = original German. Parts built by folks who showed up to work in a good mood, constructed using the proper tools and supplies, and ruthlessly inspected by eagle-eyed engineers.

Most new parts today are built to quality standards undetectable by human technology. Kyle’s harnesses are an exception, and some of the best parts out there.

You will buy the same part twice to try to get a good one. New parts will break in your hand. They will be made in factories that don’t have rulers, let alone micrometers. You will pull your hair out a few times. Double your budget, then add a little more to be safe.

Start here to repair your existing wires:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...+terminals

Got the color wiring diagram for your car?
Robbie
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
OG = original German. Parts built by folks who showed up to work in a good mood, constructed using the proper tools and supplies, and ruthlessly inspected by eagle-eyed engineers.

Most new parts today are built to quality standards undetectable by human technology. Kyle’s harnesses are an exception, and some of the best parts out there.

You will buy the same part twice to try to get a good one. New parts will break in your hand. They will be made in factories that don’t have rulers, let alone micrometers. You will pull your hair out a few times. Double your budget, then add a little more to be safe.

Start here to repair your existing wires:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...+terminals

Got the color wiring diagram for your car?
Robbie

Haha In like the "parts built by folks who showed up to work in a good mood" !!!
Thanks for the input. I will try to take a picture of the mess i'm in Wink. The PO add kill switches, fixed some wires 2-3 times and did not take in consideration the colors so... A black wire can be black then red, then green then brown... What a mess! That's why I wanted to start from scratch.

I have the Bentley manual but I've seen somewhere a "real color" diagram (printed in color) to make my life a little easier. I don't want to mess everything up and end up to have to be stuck for 2 years at home either working on the van and not running it. the front dash is basicly a rats nest and I don't know where to start haha.

New bus owner
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

I also have to change my Cyl head temp gauge. Looking at the Dakota Digital one. Should I buy the 1\2 inch ring terminal or the 14mm spark plug?... I'm planning on just putting it under the spark plug. (18' lenght)

New bus owner
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

just for clarity, away from the samba, OG= Original.
in this case, yes, it is original german, but an OG model T is origanal detroit.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
just for clarity, away from the samba, OG= Original.
in this case, yes, it is original german, but an OG model T is origanal detroit.

And here I thought OG meant..Original Gangsta

Of course I live in the mountains and the closest thing to a gangsta I know is a pissed off bear when her cubs get too close to you.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
but an OG model T is origanal detroit.

Only 12,000 T's were OG Detroit. The rest were OG Highland Park or other regional US and International plants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

those michiganders that dont actually live in the D, consider Highland park as the D.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

The Technical section of theSamba has bus schematics in color (even 1979), in JPG format that you can download and print. Some years even have highlighted versions for specific functions (headlights, turn signals, etc.)
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: