Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber doors?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Anyone know how to search the forum for Weber door installations? I've typed it in the search area but get nothing specific...it's like looking for a needle in a haystack!
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

I did find a link on Samba...they used GAB FAB windows but it appears these are no longer available anywhere!?
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

check here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=989492

also found these:

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Dual-Carburetor-Access-Panel-Each-p/carburetor-access-panel.htm

also found these:

https://www.limebug.com/product/view/4268/hipacs-high-performance-access-inspection-covers-panels
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Same as the Limebug Hi-pacs. But direct from the manufacturer. And cheaper too! Very Happy
https://www.hookyspanelshop.com/product/hipacs-high-performance-access-covers/

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Weber windows???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Dougy Dee wrote:
Weber windows???

Appears to be a hole cut under the fender to facilitate reaching dual carb setups.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

They are called access panels. See links I left
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Dougy Dee wrote:
Weber windows???

I've heard them referred to weber doors or windows...lol
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

I have IDAs and didn't need to cut up my wheel wells, so they must be an IDF issue.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Same as the Limebug Hi-pacs. But direct from the manufacturer. And cheaper too! Very Happy
https://www.hookyspanelshop.com/product/hipacs-high-performance-access-covers/

I ordered a set of these from England...they show them being installed from inside engine bay...I believe I will try to install them from fender side...
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I have IDAs and didn't need to cut up my wheel wells, so they must be an IDF issue.

Yes, particularly the idle jets and mixture screws. They are difficult to get to while mounted in the car. Not impossible, but access panels make it much easier.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

IMO the Gab-Fab are barely large enough, therefore must be positioned perfectly.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Not really an IDF issue. Depends more on the type of manifold and the size of hands doing the adjustment. It is worse with a 911 or 915 transmission installed, because the engine will sit a little further back.

Easier to drill two 1" or slightly larger holes with a hole saw and install rubber plugs later on.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

The bigger doors/windows/access panels make it easier to get to the 'sparking bolts'...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Not really an IDF issue. Depends more on the type of manifold and the size of hands doing the adjustment. It is worse with a 911 or 915 transmission installed, because the engine will sit a little further back.

Easier to drill two 1" or slightly larger holes with a hole saw and install rubber plugs later on.

Like this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Tvättbjörn wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Like this?

yes. Just needs flat rubber plugs to keep the street dirt out.
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Tvättbjörn wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Like this?

Glenn, where are the holes you're talking about? I don't see any rubber plugs but this sounds like a much better idea than investing in the Access holes which is a problem with the engine still in the bay! How do you pinpoint the hole locations so they'll line up with each spark plug? I tried to get my had in there to even grasp the spark plug wire...NO WAY! I'd need a baby hand to get in there!
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

The hole Glenn is talking about is for carb adjustment only. The spark plug/wire is completely different issue. That is what the access panel is for.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:
Tvättbjörn wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Tvättbjörn wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Like this?

Glenn, where are the holes you're talking about? I don't see any rubber plugs but this sounds like a much better idea than investing in the Access holes which is a problem with the engine still in the bay! How do you pinpoint the hole locations so they'll line up with each spark plug? I tried to get my had in there to even grasp the spark plug wire...NO WAY! I'd need a baby hand to get in there!

The rubber plugs are not installed. You can see the carb adjusting screws. Best way - mark location with carbs installed - remove carbs and drill from inside out, You can do the same for your spark plugs if really needed
However, with the correct tool you will get the plugs out. Just a magnetic socket + short wobble extension and a flex ratchet.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
The hole Glenn is talking about is for carb adjustment only. The spark plug/wire is completely different issue. That is what the access panel is for.

No... the hole is to access #1 and #3 plug. Carb adjustments are done from the engine compartment.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: