Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motor mounts compress, 1.8T conversion?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Motor mounts compress, 1.8T conversion? Reply with quote

Alright I've got my drive angles dialed in...I've got my engine suspended by a support bar...engine support carrier on the top side. We're static and rigid!

How much will engine mounts compress? I'm building a carrier for the 1.8T syncro using B5/A4 mounts and really don't want skew my flange angles.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Motor mounts compress, 1.8T conversion? Reply with quote

in my experience they all deflect with different variances.
I don't know who/when mine were made, I don't know who or when yours were made.

I have in the past had to slip a piece of slotted plate/strap/washers between the motor mount and the engine bracket to move it back up a smidge when the engine would contact something else (crossbar) that I made really really close...

YMMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Motor mounts compress, 1.8T conversion? Reply with quote

About an inch and a half. Also you’ll find the rear of the van will drop a couple inches with this heavier engine. The thicker spring spacers from VanCafe will usually correct this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Motor mounts compress, 1.8T conversion? Reply with quote

If you're going to use B5 mounts, make sure to buy quality name brand versions. I had a cheap mount totally compress while it was just holding up the engine prior to completing the swap. I've subsequently moved on to MB 124 mounts, which are wider but still fit the same footprint

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor mounts compress, 1.8T conversion? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
If you're going to use B5 mounts, make sure to buy quality name brand versions.

x2 agreed. I ended up using the "street density" mounts from 034 motorsport. A bit pricier, but differently worth the cost.

https://store.034motorsport.com/motor-mount-density-line-b5-b6-b7-and-c5.html
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor mounts compress, 1.8T conversion? Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
About an inch and a half. Also you’ll find the rear of the van will drop a couple inches with this heavier engine. The thicker spring spacers from VanCafe will usually correct this.

An 1.5"....holy cow!?! I'm using Corteco mounts. Im going to have to roll with it and check my flange angles after it's at rest. I cranked up the support bar about 1/4" thinking that'd be well enough bit we'll see what it yields..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: