Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Had to change my username ('84 GL build)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

Updating the build here since its been a few days:

I added a couple of extra driving and fog lights to the front using 3d printed surrounds for the ones in the grill.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Using some left over snap-together flooring from our bathroom remodel, I installed a new floor. I'm still trying to figure out a threshold or trim piece for the exposed edge. Ideas?

And finally, I installed a $99 awning from NAPA using modified RMW brackets

I don't really have pics of the other little things I've done lately, but they include trying to suss out the persistent miss/hesitation I've got at ~2800rpm. ( https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight= ), adding some small LED lights under the dash wired to the dome lights, replacing the busted tail light lens, and repainting and resealing the exhaust. Everyday it looks a little less like a pile of crap! Wink

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

Those high beams look awesome! So much better than the SA grill.

For finishing the floor, I would get 4' length of 1" aluminum angle. Cut it to fit and maybe sand the edge down just a bit so if you put your knee on it, you won't be in pain.

I paired that with an aluminum door sill and it looks pretty tied together imo.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1828751
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
Since I have been working on the van but haven't updated this in a few weeks:

Got the new z-bed/rear seat fabricated, cushions are being sown and should be ready soon:

That sofabed looks great!
carbonspork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:

I added an aluminum angle as a threshold between the seats and strapped on some back-of-seat storage/organizers (forgive the stray wire and flapping piece of carpet, I'll clean those up, I promise!):

MOLLE web is an interesting idea. Cool stuff.
onemorodeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

Did you print the bezels yourself or is someone producing them for sale? Looks great!
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

onemorodeo wrote:
Did you print the bezels yourself or is someone producing them for sale? Looks great!

My husband printed them using these files: https://grabcad.com/library/vw-t3-t25-vanagon-spotlight-rings-1

from this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=504430&start=100

And thanks! I'm pretty happy with it, too! Very Happy

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

In between the spitting rain and freezing temps, I found the time to install my shiny new Vanistan pushrod tube shields slightly modified for the oil pressure gauge kit from RMW.

I'm still working on the gauge install itself, but its going under the idiot lights between the big gauges. Hopefully I'll get that in later today along with a cheap outside air temp gauge from amazon.

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

And got the gauge cluster back in place

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

Installed some shiny new parts (and one not so shiny but not broken part) on the engine

I eyeballed the distributor timing to get it running (remember, the drive pinion is not installed correctly so the marks don’t really line up) and then set it to about 28 degrees all in with only the advance can hooked (got to a tee to hook up the retard side). The new GW injectors and throttle body make a noticeable difference in how it idles (much more stable and easily adjustable to ~850rpm) and way smoother and faster when revving in the driveway. I haven’t tried to drive it yet, so I won’t say yet for certain but it seems like the miss/hesitation I’ve been chasing is cleared up. So that’s good.

My temp gauge is acting up now though. After just ten mins or so of idling it was reading all the way hot and even started flashing the light. I checked the thermostat housing and sensor itself with my trusty IR gun and saw only about 200*F. Could messing with the instrument cluster to get the oil pressure gauge in have shaken something loose or ??? I suppose I could get new temp sensors (might as well do both while I’m doing). Im pretty sure the Bentley bible had a test for the sensors but is there a test for the gauge itself to see if that’s working correctly?

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
...is there a test for the gauge itself to see if that’s working correctly?

found it: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464113&highlight=temp+gauge+test

Time to order some resistors

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

Finally finished installing my "new" wheels and studded tires thanks to new rear studs and nuts and front spacers from T3!

You can also see my recently painted and sealed exhaust. Don't tell the EPA but I also gutted the cat while I had it off. It might be my imagination but the exhaust sounds a little more throaty to me.

You can't see, but in the course of putting on the left rear wheel, I found that the old (probably original) wheel cylinder was leaking so I installed a new one of those and re-bled the brakes. Must be a combo of the new cylinder and a good bleed, but the pedal feels muuuch better now.

The temp gauge is now working even worse than before, so I'm trying to find a new one, but will risk short* trips in the meantime. Maybe I'll rewire the aftermarket VDO temp gauge that a previous owner had installed but I removed. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the progress I've made so far. Very Happy

*No more than a mile or so back and forth to work and around the neighborhood

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

With the weather warming and the ice and snow melting, I've started working on the van again in the hopes of getting it ready for some summer camping and cruising.

I finally got the new front transaxle mount bushing installed today. Shifting seems a little more precise so far on the quick drives around the neighborhood. I am still having a little trouble shifting into 1st and 2nd once the van is moving though. Particularly, getting it into 1st when coming to a stop or even after stopping at an intersection requires a lot more effort than it should. Moving the shifter a little to the right in neutral before trying for 1st or 2nd seems to help. Question I call myself adjusting the shifter when I rebuilt it back in the fall but I'll check that again. I do have a new ball arm thing (and seal) for the shift shaft on the trans so I think getting that installed and making sure its adjusted correctly is next on the list.

The lighting isn't great in that pic, but I was just happy to see the van outside in the parking lot at work yesterday. Smile

I also got a couple of new decals recently including this one. I think I may have to start calling it Planet Express Van. Very Happy

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
I am still having a little trouble shifting into 1st and 2nd once the van is moving though. Particularly, getting it into 1st when coming to a stop or even after stopping at an intersection requires a lot more effort than it should. Moving the shifter a little to the right in neutral before trying for 1st or 2nd seems to help.

Yeah, it might be off even half a spline. Time to fiddle with the linkage.
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

I did a little adjusting to the shift linkage per the article on GoWesty.com and, while I haven't driven anywhere yet, even just sitting in the driveway not running or anything it definitely shifts way smoother and easier into 1st and 2nd. While iI was under there, I noticed a new small wet spot on the driveway under the front of the engine/rear of the transaxle. Turns out the clutch cylinder decided it was time to pack it in and start leaking. If its not one thing its 3 others. Rolling Eyes Unfortunately, as far as I could tell there are exactly zero clutch cylinders available at any FLAPS in Anchorage (at least any that aren't super cheap remans or something) so I had to place a second order at GW in as many weeks. I REALLY wish it would've started leaking even a couple of days ago so I could've added it to the order of Bilstien HDs that GW just shipped to me yesterday to save on shipping. I swear, freight to Alaska is going to add a very significant percent to the overall cost of this van. Se le vie.

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

Got my very old and tired shocks swapped out for a set of Bilstein HDs. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it went and that all my hardware and rubber discs and bumpstops are in such good shape. Ride report will follow soon.

Its also just about time to procure a set of summer tires. I'm leaning toward General Grabbers or Yokohoma Geolanders in 215/65r16. Probably go with whichever is easier/faster/cheaper to find here in town.

A buddy at work wasn't using his old Thule bike rack and so he gave it to me. It was a little crusty and needed a little work since he had to cut the 1.25" piece off since it was rust-welded in place in his hitch receiver! Good thing I own a welder! After a bit of grinding and quick splice of some 2" tubing to the bottom of the rack and a thorough cleaning, painting, and greasing of the links, pivot bushings, and bolts its working like new.

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

Ride report: it’s a little chilly in Anchorage this morning so I took a round about way to work so everything could get up to temperature and to get a feel for the new shocks. The ride quality is 1000x better! Bumps are far smoother and less jarring, way less body roll in corners and roundabouts, and better in every way. The shift linkage needs a little more tweaking but I am definitely on the right track there, it shifts into first and second way easier than before.

I did, however, notice a lack of power in first and second gear after getting the engine warmed up. The list of things I’m going to check include the ignition timing, the wire to the O2 sensor which I suspect has come in contact with the exhaust and needs to be replaced (new sensor btw), and valve timing (new adjusters are in the bench waiting to go in). I’ll double check all the voltage signals at the ECU and the signal at the AFM, too. If none of that helps, I can borrow a known good AFM to rule that out. I’ll probably do another compression test while I’m in there just for good measure.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

Is the rest of the Thule rack covered in faded plastic or is it just dirty?

I've had really good success with restoring the luster to sun faded plastics with a 50%-50% mix of Acetone and Boiled Linseed Oil.
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the rest of the rack was just dirty/dusty from being on the back of my coworker's car during break-up season (i.e., spring) and cleaned up pretty well with a little degreaser, water, and elbow grease. I was just excited to get a pic with the whole thing assembled on the van. Very Happy

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

Got a few more items checked off the list in the last couple of days:

The old leaky clutch cylinder got swapped for a new FTE unit and a matching stainless hose. There may have been a minor spill of some DOT but on the plus side, I am certain that the line from the master cylinder on back is completely flushed with new fluid. Wink

And earlier today I tackled some issues on the other side of the trans with a new shifter arm/ball and shift shaft seal. The old plastic ball was actually in pretty good shape, but went ahead and replaced it anyway.

The old seal that was weeping oil down the side of the trans. Not too bad, but enough to keep the area under the shaft damp.

The new arm and elbow with the new boot stretched into place. I figured it would be easiest to install these as a unit rather than trying to get the boot in place under the van:

To get the old seal out and the new one in, I elected to unbolt the reverse switch housing and gently pull the selector shaft to the left just until the threaded end was clear of the seal area:

I took a page out of the bicycle mechanic world at this point. In much the same way I drive suspension fork seals into place, I found a socket that fit just around the lip and was just smaller than the OD of the seal/ID of the trans hole and, after taking the spring ring off to prevent damage (ask me how I know about that Rolling Eyes ), gently pushed the seal into place. I did smear a small amount of RTV around the outside of the seal to help 'glue' it to the trans housing:

The reverse housing went back on with a smear of RTV and the new arm/elbow assembly was bolted onto the selector shaft

I had planned to use this opportunity to replace the shifter guide bushings, but I guess I ordered the wrong ones so I just cleaned, regreased, and reused the old one.

The bushing holder got bolted back in place and the shift rod was reunited with the elbow and that was that.

I haven't driven it yet, but shifting through the gears in the driveway feels much crisper and smoother. I am definitely going to put some miles on the ol' van very soon! Very Happy

cjonesak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

Impressive progress with the Vanagon. Here’s my newest toy.

Casey

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: