Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just did the walk of shame.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

You know, when you're adjusting valves and go to start the engine up forgetting that the ratchet is still on the alternator nut. Yea, that one. I can't be the only one who's checked that box.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

well I can honnestly say no I have never done that!!! it was a aluminum AN rench.... Laughing
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

I left a 30mm wrench on the crank pulley bolt a few years ago. Started the engine and unthreaded the pulley bolt in 1 second. Shocked

It's not a shame to admit when you made an error that doesn't hurt anything or anyone.
The shame comes. If you don't learn from your error!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

Loud, isn't it? Very Happy
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

Admitting you have will likely help prevent someone else from doing it.

IMO, that's one reason why this board exists.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

liquidrush wrote:
Just did the walk of shame

Heck, even Mrs. Cusser got over that !!!!

liquidrush wrote:
You know, when you're adjusting valves and go to start the engine up forgetting that the ratchet is still on the alternator nut. Yea, that one. I can't be the only one who's checked that box.

I've NEVER done that, ABSOLUTELY. Because my VWs have generators.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

Yes, but have you ever attempted to break the axle nut loose by pulling the bus forward with the cheater wedged against the ground, only to realize, as the back end rises off the ground, that you should have backed up?

Never happened to me, but someone told me......
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

liquidrush wrote:

Yep, it's been done before.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740788
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

I turn at the crank and never just leave the wrench on between adjustments.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

I left the wrench on the draw bar of my mill once, never done it again.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:

eQ

For me that was lesson #1 on day 1 in the machine shop - NEVER under any circumstances leave the key in the chuck of the lathe. Your example is basically the same thing. That’ll wake you up really quick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
earthquake wrote:

eQ

For me that was lesson #1 on day 1 in the machine shop - NEVER under any circumstances leave the key in the chuck of the lathe. Your example is basically the same thing. That’ll wake you up really quick.

From the link I posted above... true story:

Quote:
I had a jr. high metal shop teacher who terrorized students mercilessly. One of his diatribes was about poor Johnny who left the chuck key on the lathe and hit the power. He said it tore through his hand on its way to the far concrete wall. His last words were, "Please tell the students to never leave a chuck key in the chuck!" and then died from blood loss. Shop teacher had dark red paint on the floor for realism. I smugly thought the story was BS.

That is, until a few days later I noticed a real chuck key embedded into the top of the 20 ft high concrete wall in line with the radial direction of the chuck... for real!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

The walk of shame is the actual act of walking and getting whatever just got flung across the shop...

That's how we got that expression
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

I knew a Saab mechanic that told me the factory procedure for breaking the crank pully loose on the 900 was to put a breaker bar and socket on the bolt, brace it against the body, and crank the starter, with the coil disconnected. He then described why that last bit was so important.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

I had 78 non-turbo diesel rabbit that needed a head gasket. At 22 to 1 compression I knew there was no combustion chamber, the thickness of the gasket changed the compression.

Put in the new gasket, turn the key and KLUNK!!! I was one tooth off on the timing belt.

Destroyed a lifter and egg shaped the lifter bore.

I learned after that - don't start the engine until you hand turn the engine and make sure you have full rotation.

Actually I fixed that head and with another 100k miles.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

Oh how about after draining your oil, you get distracted talking to a friend, and pure in 4 quarts, you look under the car and see a flood of oil. I forgot to put the drain plug back in.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

Yep, full revolution by hand should also be done on any engine that has been upside-down for a period of time to avoid hydrolocking. Don't ask me how I know this.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

Adjusting valves on 1 and 3 then 2 and 4, fired up and oil is pouring on the floor mostly, some is landing in the 1-3 valve cover on the garage floor where I left it.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

I thought that was when you girl friend walked out of your dorm in the early morning to avoid being seen...lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Just did the walk of shame. Reply with quote

Bringing a '66 bus to the state inspection. The "expert" (that's what they call themselves) call me down into the pit... "It happens to all of us", he says, as he points out the 17mm wrench sitting on the steering box adjustment nut. Embarassed

And you haven't really felt the full painful depth of complete automotive shame...until you drive off from the gas station, with the nozzle still in the filler neck. It's not as bad as you would imagine, But the shame, the horrible realization that this will forever be part of my life story, the unspeakable level of embarrassment, the blank look on my face it's all something I will never manage to forget...

Hmmm...there is catharsis in confession;...i feel much better after getting that off my chest. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: