Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fridge thermostat questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean-Guy Bernier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
After religiously following Frank Condelli's instructions regarding the fridge and rereading the many posts on the site, I am still faced with the same problem. My question is: Could it be that the thermostat works fine on the 110v but not on the gas? When I use the 110, I can easily raise or lower the temperature, but on the gas, the temperature does not move. The flame in the firebox always stays the same even if I turn the thermostat knob.
I get a used thermostat but before changin it I would like having opinions.
Thanks!
Jguy
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

I think the way it works is the burner flame is one size and there is a smaller pilot only flame. I assume the flame cycles from pilot to heat as needed to achieve the desired temperature level. If you turn the thermostat knob all the way counterclockwise past the click, you will see the flame go into the smaller pilot only flame. Turn it up and it will light to full size again.
Jean-Guy Bernier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

Hi Yellow Rabbit,
If as you suggest I turn thermostat at maximum or at minimum, the flame does not change.
But on 110v if I do the same thing weather increase or decrease.
Can thermostat be ok on 110v and bad on gaz?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

Yes. I think it's possible for the thermostat to properly control 110VAC to the heater but malfunction and not control flow of propane. But, I'd think that something blocking flow of propane would be the most likely cause of this. i.e. the thermostat is likely ok.

I think this web page shows type and information on the thermostat used on our Dometics:

http://dave78chieftain.com/sourdillon.html

I imagine you did this already but....

Cool it on 110 then switch to gas mode, see if flame size changes when thermostat is turned? A cardboard tube up against the viewing port can really help see the flame.

If it was me, I'd bench test the fridge and while adjusting the thermostat during use on LP mode, rap very very lightly on the thermostat housing to see if that has an effect on flame size.

Thermostat, LP parts, from my old 182A and 182B. The newer type shown above the other looks a little more complex in terms of what the LP flows through.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

interesting... looks like a propane filter was added after the gas on/off valve on the newer unit.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

Jean-Guy Bernier wrote:
Hi Yellow Rabbit,
If as you suggest I turn thermostat at maximum or at minimum, the flame does not change.
But on 110v if I do the same thing weather increase or decrease.
Can thermostat be ok on 110v and bad on gaz?

Turn is past minimum and past the click. It seems like that should be off but that is a tiny pilot light only. I don’t think the burner flame changes at the low setting. I think it’s an on off operation vs size of flame.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

edit: quote added.

DanHoug wrote:
interesting... looks like a propane filter was added after the gas on/off valve on the newer unit.

I'd forgotten what that part was for. You make a good point Dan. Looking again at my notes and pics, it seems that filter was on my 182A. I don't know if all A models had that filter. From what I recall, that filter is not easily removed from the thermostat. i.e. it may not be threaded in. I never tried removing it.

@ the OP: as soon as the "click" is heard at thermostat, the flame should change size. There are only two flame sizes. I posted a video of this on youtube years ago.

At one point I swapped my 182A face plate (with super cool flame meter) onto a 182B. The 182B shut off valve shaft had to be adapted. Easy to do. So, my guess is that the A and B version thermostat/pipes etc could be swapped onto either the A or B version fridge, should you choose to swap parts to test.

This appears to be my 182B. Note that there is no filter on the thermostat assembly. The circled wire ends indicate the later type of flame indicator wiring as used on the 182B. Black/red wires were for added interior CPU type fan:

my 182B with 182A faceplate and added wires for fans, switch.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Jean-Guy Bernier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

Thanks for these suggestions. I will try again and inform you.
Jguy
Jean-Guy Bernier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

Hi,
I finally fixed my fridge problem by replacing the thermostat.
I therefore conclude, that even if it works well on 110v, thermostat can be faulty on gas.
Thanks for helping!

Jguy
Allium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

I have an '83 Vanagon with the RM182B dometic unit. The thermocouple appears to be bad (part #255-070-506). Does anyone have a source for one of these? Thanks
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

Try these guys:

https://getrvparts.com/dometic-2902551023-rv-refrigerator-thermocouple/

Here's a nice pictorial of renewing the Dometic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/werksforwagens/albums/72157594499353583/
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge thermostat questions Reply with quote

https://www.flickr.com/photos/werksforwagens/albums/72157594499353583/

Oh man thanks for that Howesight. I recall seeing that Roger Sisler page some years ago. Was going to try and find it, post a link. Very helpful set of photos and info. Glad to see it's still online.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: