Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
Did you check the fuel pressure? Should be about 26-28psi at idle. Rev the engine and watch the fuel pressure gauge, it should stay around 26psi or may dip to 24-22psi. Anything below 20psi and your bus will run like poop. It’ll idle, but not allow you to accelerate. Here’s a video of how my bus was acting with clogged fuel line that was full of rust.

Link

If your gas tank is rusty, the chunky bits could be blocking the line and fuel filter.

If you can check fuel pressure, if it’s low (like 5-10psi) then you can guess the gas line/filter or tank is blocked.

Aint gonna happen. He is dead set on replacing the pump...again.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

Have you tried a NEW, OEM Bosch fuel pump? You can get them on rockauto.

Why are you even bothering with these used pumps, for $100 you have a 'known good' you can test against, and determine restriction etc from there.

Until you have a verified good, OEM fuel pump, doing any sort of other testing is pointless IMO.

Once you replace the pump, then you can test flow, pressure etc.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

fuel pressure

was the first thing i tested

when i was still using 1st fuel pump

and retested with every fuel pump ive tried......

for the record
and for shit and giggles

i have drained gas tank
paying attention to the flow of gas
looking for hicups or anything inconsistent with flow

every drop of
7 gallons of gas poured out perfectly consistent

also inspected gas looking for any evidence of a dirty tank

not ruling out gas tank

but all the evidence keeps pointing to fuel pump and not dirty tank

this isnt a bus that was recently brought back to life
or a bus that sits for half the year

fact is a hot fuel pump is not good

fact is the fuel pump i had was bad

and before i assume anything about any other problems
i need to be 100% that the fuel pump is 100%

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

Cap10323

Quote:

Have you tried a NEW, OEM Bosch fuel pump? You can get them on rockauto.

Why are you even bothering with these used pumps, for $100 you have a 'known good' you can test against, and determine restriction etc from there.

Until you have a verified good, OEM fuel pump, doing any sort of other testing is pointless IMO.

Once you replace the pump, then you can test flow, pressure etc.

i 100% agree with you
thats why i bought a new pump

but that new pump does not seem to be good either....

and thats where everyone starts assuming different things and heading in different directions

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

I bought a Bosch fuel pump from rockauto, no issues so far on a rebuilt motor with 150 or so miles. Haven’t done any long trips, but I assume I would had issues by now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

Just curious, what are you using for a filter?
I should have mentioned in my test that I did away with the Bosch pump and that tiny filer long ago after too many expensive and short live Bosch pumps so my results may not apply. The only time I’ve had a warm pump s from starvation, which doesn’t sound like your case unless that filter is restricted.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

As I noted in my post......do not just check pressure.....check pump OUTPUT VOLUME. At idle....you can have great pressure even with a defective or restricted pump. You might notice a little more than standard oscillation to the gauge reading.

If the gauge needle takes a big dip for a split second when you rev it.....it can be indicating a volume problem. These pumps make pressure by supplying volume against a restriction.

You noted that you will be checking voltage soon. I would check voltage FIRST. All of these will run hot if voltage is low.

You noted ...please correct me if I got this wrong.....that you HAVE a new pump and it ran hot as well? What part number is it? If its something that is actually a good deal larger than the stock pump......it could be getting a restricted inlet from the stock filter.

Another easy check.....is to pull the return line off of the tank. Plug it at the tank and measure at idle....what is coming back through the return line...per minute. At idle you should not be using much.

Even at highway driving speed you are using only a few percent of the volume of fuel per second/minute/hour that is running through the loop.

Typically most decent pumps are putting out "about" 1 liter per minute.....at pressure.....and upwards to 1.5 liter/min unrestricted (meaning no regulator is connected). Looking at what is returned to the tank downstream of the regulator at idle can tell you if maybe the regulator itself is a restriction or there is something in line that is restricting you and loading up the pump.

Ray
VDub Campers Ltd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

I’m struggling to fix this same issue on a customers bus. Fuel pump temp is 122F after idling for one hr. Previous original pump was the same so replaced pump. Same condition.
I’ve confirmed that the fuel pressure is correct until the symptom starts happening. Missfiring, stumbling, coincides with pressure drop on the gauge Engines then stalls Then won’t start. Leave for 3 minutes she’ll start. Run for another. 5-10 mins then same thing happens again.
Did you ever solve this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDub Campers Ltd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

I’m struggling to fix this same issue on a customers bus. Fuel pump temp is 122F after idling for one hr. Previous original pump was the same so replaced pump. Same condition.
I’ve confirmed that the fuel pressure is correct until the symptom starts happening. Missfiring, stumbling, and stalls soon after. Then won’t start. Leave for 3 minutes she’ll start. Run for another. 5-10 mins then same thing happens again.
Did you ever solve this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

Tram had the excellent suggestion for pumps.
Submerge it in a pail of clean diesel fuel and wire it backwards.
Some of them have an intake screen that’s tiny and can clog.

If it spews crud - there’s your answer.

What’s That Noise?!?
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

The FI pump relies on that fuel returning freely via the pressure regulator to a large fuel tank in a cool space to cool down the motor in the pump,
Fuel flows through the motor including the commutator and the brushes on the way to the actual pump part.

Testing it into a can which is maybe 4 or 5 times smaller in volume than the fuel tank will result in it rising in temperature until the can is dissipating the heat from the pump.

Blocking off the flow means that maybe up to 100 watts of heat has to be dumped by the pump.

Some people buy 12 volt kettles and boil a cup of water using a similar amount of power.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

VDub Campers Ltd wrote:
I’ve confirmed that the fuel pressure is correct until the symptom starts happening. Missfiring, stumbling, and stalls soon after. Then won’t start. Leave for 3 minutes she’ll start. Run for another. 5-10 mins then same thing happens again.
Did you ever solve this?

Part of the fuel system is the dump tubes for the heater boxes on later models. They were added to get heat from the heater boxes away from the fuel tank. As mentioned just recirculating a small amount of fuel in a bucket will fail to cool the pump with the fuel getting hotter and hotter each time it goes through the pump until the fuel is quite hot and some kind of equilibrium is reached. The tank gets air flow over it when the vehicle is moving which cools the tank, the fuel in the tank, and ultimately the fuel pump. This air flow doesn't exist at idle or when you are just pumping fuel out of and back into a bucket.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump how hot is to hot 76-79 fuel injection Reply with quote

VDub Campers Ltd wrote:
Did you ever solve this?

does it have a FI tank or is it a single outlet tank with a tee someone added?

Has the TSII been replaced?

Have you checked to see which is missing, spark or fuel?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: