Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chunky milky transmission fluid
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bad day for the Ole bus.

I have no idea how long it's been like this, found when I was changing transmission fluid.

Last trip was 250 miles and I had no idea this was going on.

3 cheers for german engineers for making a transmission that can have chunks of metal in it and still roll!

Question though, I have a 84 and I'm not sure if it's the 091 or 091/1, how can I tell for sure cause I am definitely ordering me some parts!
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

The transmission number

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

I think you want to find the code letters stamped in the case:

Possibly DU which would indicate 091/1?
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

Ok, what date did the 091-1 start? Or are all watercooled 091-1 or 094?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

The '82 Vanagon came fitted with an 091. All of the other Vanagons imported to North America with water-cooled engines came with the 091/1, the 094 5-speed, or the 094 4WD transaxles. Just to add to the confusion some places (e.g. Weddle and some rebuilders) call the 091/1 an 094 4-speed. If your '84 has the stock trans then it is an 091/1.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The '82 Vanagon came fitted with an 091. All of the other Vanagons imported to North America with water-cooled engines came with the 091/1, the 094 5-speed, or the 094 4WD transaxles. Just to add to the confusion some places (e.g. Weddle and some rebuilders) call the 091/1 an 094 4-speed. If your '84 has the stock trans then it is an 091/1.

Awesome thanks.

I pulled the bell housing and the tail but not the main part that houses the gears.

I inspected all the main bearings and they are all intact and for the life if me I can't figure out where 1 inch pieces of metal that look exactly like bearing material came from. I found no actual bearings at all just these large pieces of steel that looks like it would cage round bearing balls but the only bearing I can see in the manual and the parts explosion that would fit that description I can clearly see and it looks new.

The transmission shifts great its just unsettling to say the least.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

Somewhere inside the diff maybe? Part 11 perhaps? It's hard to tell from your picture because there is no reference object to scale how big those pieces are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

Number11 is a real possibility.

Thanks for the direction
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Somewhere inside the diff maybe? Part 11 perhaps? It's hard to tell from your picture because there is no reference object to scale how big those pieces are.

You nailed it!!!!!!!

The broken part is number 11.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Dave
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:

You nailed it!!!!!!!

The broken part is number 11.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Dave

Shot in the dark but I am glad it worked out. You can usually find used diffs for cheap in the classifieds from people upgrading to a Peloquin or make the upgrade yourself. Heck, I would offer you my old one but shipping would atrocious I suspect.

Big question is if you go for a full rebuild (new bearings everywhere) or just replace the diff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

Time for a Peloquin and new side bearings. Smile

My 83 1/2 came with an 091-1 and as believe as others mentioned that all 4sp WBXers did. The difference between the 091 and 091-1 is obvious if you look at where the shift rod enters the transmission.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

It is most definitely a 091-1, I don't know why VW just didn't call it the 092!

Weddle sold me just the piece I needed to repair it, $4.50.

Now the tools required to install that part, that was a bit more. Shocked

I was thinking about what could have caused this thing to blow apart and I'm betting it was when I was in Dayton, OH and my CV joint broke, I removed the half shaft and used the bolts that held it on and tightened them against the side of the transmission to prevent that side moving, which worked and got me home with one half shaft but I bet I blew that center piece out then and have been driving it around like that since.

There almost always is a story that comes with broken diffs isn't there?

Are those Peloquin diffs really worth the price?
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:

I was thinking about what could have caused this thing to blow apart and I'm betting it was when I was in Dayton, OH and my CV joint broke, I removed the half shaft and used the bolts that held it on and tightened them against the side of the transmission to prevent that side moving, which worked and got me home with one half shaft but I bet I blew that center piece out then and have been driving it around like that since.

Yup, that probably did it or was the final straw.

davlance01 wrote:

Are those Peloquin diffs really worth the price?

Meh, it depends on your use. Mostly black top or graded gravel roads then you probably don't need it. Snow, off road, always getting stuck, and constantly wishing you had a syncro then maybe. Research it.

If your not going to rebuild your entire transmission I would recommend you buy some bulk cheap gear oil. After you reinstall everything change the oil 20mi or so, then 100 maybe, and then go from there judging by how ugly the magnetic drain plugs looks like.

This has all been just my 0.02. I am not a pro.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Chunky milky transmission fluid Reply with quote

Not a bad idea.

I'm almost always on pavement so I'm not thinking I need a fancy diff.

I do like that mini locker that weddle has though. Pretty slick.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: