Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a Complete interior Redo
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robkerns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Looking for a Complete interior Redo Reply with quote

I just purchased a 69 Westy. It has been gutted for the most part inside. I am hoping to get a new ceiling installed and work my way down.
Any ideas where I can go to get a celling that is as close to the original? Thanks in advance.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Complete interior Redo Reply with quote

Hit up the hardware store for 5x5 Baltic birch plywood. I think there’s a post here where someone uploaded templates to get printed out, though your best bet is to find originals and trace them from what I understand.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Complete interior Redo Reply with quote

Found the thread, though I’m not sure if it applies to ‘69. One of the more knowledgeable members probably will chime in. Being in the triangle area, might be able to find someone that will let you check theirs out. I know there’s a pretty strong ACVW presence there. Good luck!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681515&highlight=template
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Complete interior Redo Reply with quote

5x5 birch might be hard to find. That is the material I used for the subfloor when I redid my Westy, I had to get it from a custom cabinet builder. I bet you could use 4x8 sheets of paneling from HD, you’d just need to open the C-channel up a bit for it to fit in. Then use a mallet to close the channel on the paneling. I did that on a small section I had to make for my headliner. I also used the HD paneling for the interior panels. I left the headliner panel naked and polyurethane the interior panels.

This is if you are talking about a westy not a passenger bus, those used material not wood for a headliner.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Complete interior Redo Reply with quote

You probably won't find 5'x5' sheets at Home Depot, but a good specialty lumber place should carry it.
I'm not at all an expert on woodworking, but I don't think you'd want to use 4'x8' sheets, because you would have to run the grain the wrong way (side to side vs. front to rear), since the span between the channels is wider than 4' . With the bend needed to fit the curve of the roof, you might run into issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Complete interior Redo Reply with quote

If you wait another 3 months or do the price of the wood will also fall back to pre- gouge levels
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Complete interior Redo Reply with quote

Quote:
Abscate

If you wait another 3 months or so the price of the wood will also fall back to pre- gouge levels

I think that is like saying to wait to drive your bus until gas goes back to $1.00 a gallon.

(We've had the increase in lumber account for more than 10% of a project. This NOT the lumber cost. It is only the INCREASE in the lumber cost.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Complete interior Redo Reply with quote

If only a European company made small, high-quality modular blocks, perhaps out of plastic, in large quantities… Maybe I could build a cheap interior out of them…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Complete interior Redo Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
If only a European company made small, high-quality modular blocks, perhaps out of plastic, in large quantities… Maybe I could build a cheap interior out of them…

BPA free plastic I hope Laughing

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: