Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 Bus Gearshift Issues
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paddingtonfire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: 57 Bus Gearshift Issues Reply with quote

Afternoon All,

I did a post before about potential gearbox woes and was advised to remove the engine, transaxle and linkages. I’ve now done this to reveal any potential problems and some more questions. I’m going to work from the rear forwards…

First of all, the gearbox itself. It has a nosecone fitted which brings the first question. Is this the correct one with the bush you can see in the picture? It seems to have a lot of play fore and aft and side to side. Can anyone give guidance on this please?

When I removed the transaxle I revealed a mounting I haven’t seen before and I guess this is an earlier configuration? Looking at the mounting itself, the gearbox only had one bolt mounting it to the vehicle and gearbox. Obviously I can put this right, but looking at the top portion of the mounting looks oval not round as I would expect, and part of a copper bush showing? Thoughts anyone?

I removed the connecting bush (which is new) and then extracted the long rod with some resistance, should this be lubricated in any way?

In another photo you can see the front coupling, purchased from WW, but I couldn’t get any gears at all from it, so I made the other one with locating holes offset to allow me to get them. But all through this the gearshift has always been really vague with loads of movement in neutral and every gear, and not having to press/pull to engage reverse. Ive tried a new striker plate, with the spacer, without, all to no avail.

Is the gearshift lever worn?

So to round up, is my gearbox/transaxle the right one, is the nosecone and bush the right type for the year of the bus, is the mounting shot, and the gearshift mechanism - is there anything I can do to improve it?

I’ll take any solution. Cheers all.. can add more photos if needed.

Mike

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Bus Gearshift Issues Reply with quote

Paddingtonfire wrote:

First of all, the gearbox itself. It has a nosecone fitted which brings the first question. Is this the correct one with the bush you can see in the picture? It seems to have a lot of play fore and aft and side to side. Can anyone give guidance on this please?

I reckon fore and aft is fine, side to side suggests the bush is worn. They wear out. You can buy a replacements, but check that the bore of the nosecone that the bush fits in to is still round. Mine wasn't, so I had to have it reamed and a bush made.

Paddingtonfire wrote:

When I removed the transaxle I revealed a mounting I haven’t seen before and I guess this is an earlier configuration?

Yes

Paddingtonfire wrote:

Looking at the mounting itself, the gearbox only had one bolt mounting it to the vehicle and gearbox. Obviously I can put this right, but looking at the top portion of the mounting looks oval not round as I would expect, and part of a copper bush showing? Thoughts anyone?

In another photo you can see the front coupling, purchased from WW, but I couldn’t get any gears at all from it, so I made the other one with locating holes offset to allow me to get them.

You have a 'tunnel' type synchromesh gearbox. The bus originally came with a 'split case' partial synchro box (1st didn't have a synchro).

The tunnel case gearbox nosecone is different to the original split case nosecone and the torsion tube mount that the nosecone fits to is designed to take the split case type, so you have to use an adaptor. You mention the WW adaptor ('solid mount' adaptor) didn't fit. That suggests to me that the gearbox nose cone wasn't lined up correctly.

I replaced the solid mount with one of Nate's 'lollipop' adaptors. They're quieter and I found the solid mount put the nosecone too low so the shift rod was rubbing on the rearmost frame crossmember. The lollipop mount fixed that. It might fix your problem too.

VW Jim over here stocks them, but his website says he's waiting for a delivery...

https://www.vwjim.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6234733-Early-Gearbox-Adaptor-Mount-Kit.html

Either way, clean that long rod up and paint it. It looks like it has some surface rust. That will cause friction and hinder normal movement. Give it a clean and paint it to make it nice and smooth again.

Paddingtonfire wrote:

I removed the connecting bush (which is new) and then extracted the long rod with some resistance, should this be lubricated in any way?

Not sure whether '57 had a tube for the long rod to fit in. Is there a tube running through all the frame crossmembers that the long rod was inside? If so there should be one or more plastic bushes in there. They may still be stuck in there and that might have caused the resistance? If so, you'll need to push them out and replace them

If '57s predated the tube (my '56 doesn't have a tube) then you should just have a single metal bush supporting the rear of the tube in the rearmost crossmember. It's like a metal hockey stick. They break with time. Evam classic stock them. I think VW Heritage have them too.

Check out OACDP for the parts manual...

http://www.oacdp.org/5867part.html

Paddingtonfire wrote:

In another photo you can see the front coupling, purchased from WW, but I couldn’t get any gears at all from it, so I made the other one with locating holes offset to allow me to get them.

Check the rear coupler. Screw the locking screws in and make sure they exactly line up down the axis of the coupler. Some of the repros don't. If you've had to make a front coupler with offset holes, then you might have been compensating for that problem with the rear coupler?

Neither coupler should have offset holes. That might be part of your problem too.

Paddingtonfire wrote:

But all through this the gearshift has always been really vague with loads of movement in neutral and every gear, and not having to press/pull to engage reverse. Ive tried a new striker plate, with the spacer, without, all to no avail.

Even correctly adjusted, the gear shift isn't a precision instrument, particularly with the early setup. Laughing Reverse can be hard to get.

With the early setup, the linkages don't have many supporting bushes (VW added more over the years). I find doing maneuvers in a hurry can be difficult, shifting from 1st to reverse and back, and mine is pretty sorted.

Paddingtonfire wrote:

Is the gearshift lever worn?

From your picture, I'd say the ball looks worn, yes, and the socket that the ball fits in to in the front shift rod looks pretty worn too.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Bus Gearshift Issues Reply with quote

That shifter ball does not look rite, here's what it should look like

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Bus Gearshift Issues Reply with quote

I don't think the bend in the front linkage bar helps any either. Puts the cup on the end the shifter ball sits in at an angle and get rid of the shortshift spacer. Should all look like this

Paddingtonfire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Bus Gearshift Issues Reply with quote

Andy, what an excellent reply - thank you, it's given me a lot to go on. I've been in such with Jim for the mount and will definitely get one when they arrive.

I'll get the bush done on the nosecone, tbh I was going to anyway.

The long rod, for the sake of 50 quid that'll be changed, and replace any of the bushes at the same time as the trans is out, just easier!

I will reinstate the WW couplings at either end of the long rod - I only made the offset hole one to get be out of a hole lol...

The short linkage with the double dog leg as I call it is odd - its passage through the front (lowered) beam is somewhat congested, but I will buy a new rod all the same.

Now for the tricky bit - I cannot find, despite searching for over an hour this morning, a stock shifter for this age of bus - later ones yes, but not the earlier. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Or, are there alternative aftermarket ones that I can use? Any suggestions welcome, because having seen Mintonman's very helpful photos, mine looks oval and worn - help!!

I just want to make it better, because it's a pig at the moment...

Mike

57 seems a tricky time with these things, lot of changes..
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Bus Gearshift Issues Reply with quote

The only early shifter I saw in the classifieds right now is this one:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2468224

NOS one I saw at a show, for general photo reference:

If you find a used one, you want the ring right above the ball to be a full circle, they wear down over time and this can affect the shifting.
Of course this can be welded up and re-ground to the correct size, it'll make your shifting tighter too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: