Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car started pinging...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Car started pinging... Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Remove the fuel pump and put a piece of fuel hose on both ports and fill the hoses with gas and watch for dripping.

Will do thx for the idea!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Car started pinging... Reply with quote

I'm not convinced that low fuel pump output pressure can cause pinging in these cars. I've run out of fuel before, and the engine ran great until it just quit. The fuel pump output pressure is not involved in metering fuel into the carburetor. The metering is controlled by the relationship between the air pressure in the bowl and the venturi.

I would think that pinging would be primarily caused by overly-advanced timing, or overheating. Did you change your spark plugs before this started (maybe they are the wrong heat range)?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Car started pinging... Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
I'm not convinced that low fuel pump output pressure can cause pinging in these cars. I've run out of fuel before, and the engine ran great until it just quit. The fuel pump output pressure is not involved in metering fuel into the carburetor. The metering is controlled by the relationship between the air pressure in the bowl and the venturi.

I would think that pinging would be primarily caused by overly-advanced timing, or overheating. Did you change your spark plugs before this started (maybe they are the wrong heat range)?

I didn't just change the plugs but they are new within the last 3 years or so- but as I stated earlier the pinging just suddenly started while I was driving, like literally something just became out of whack. I haven't messed with timing or anything. It could be that the plugs are somehow wrong but they are the same Bosch plugs I've used for decades. I guess it's possible my timing slipped, I'll check it again when I get a chance but TBH the delicate balance between carb and timing adjustment on this car has always thrown me for a loop, it's almost impossible to get everything dead on and have it stay that way for any kind of time.

1600 SP engine
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Car started pinging... Reply with quote

If you just gassed up you could have got the bottom of the tank and water could be in the tank, remove the top of carb and look for water if nothing else fixes it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Car started pinging... Reply with quote

Once you hear detonation the damage is occurring and if you keep driving the engine will self destruct. One sure sign right before all hell breaks loose is tight valves and from there the danger of burnt exhaust valve, usually #3 exhaust.
As stated detonation ruin bearings.

It’s a slippery slope for sure. I would not keep driving it. Not trying to be alarmist. I’ve seen the end result it’s not good.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Car started pinging... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Once you hear detonation the damage is occurring and if you keep driving the engine will self destruct. One sure sign right before all hell breaks loose is tight valves and from there the danger of burnt exhaust valve, usually #3 exhaust.
As stated detonation ruin bearings.

It’s a slippery slope for sure. I would not keep driving it. Not trying to be alarmist. I’ve seen the end result it’s not good.

Thanks for the advice, just sent u a PM

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: