Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing Transmission with Brake cables still attached
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Removing Transmission with Brake cables still attached Reply with quote

i’m replacing the center section of my transmission on my ‘67.

The Bentley Manual (seems to) says that you can leave the brake cable attached to the wheel if you are doing this, you just have to disconnect them at the brake handle.

I have gotten to the point in the process where the transmission should come out, but i’m hanging up on - you guessed it - the brake cables. i’m guessing they’re rusted to the frame where they enter it from the wheel. can anyone tell me where the cable ends and the frame begins, so i know what to try to free?

Is it just the big part where the rubber sheathing enters?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Transmission with Brake cables still attached Reply with quote

Were the cables working before? That's the common method for removing trans, remove the bolts from the cable, the threaded end will/may hang up at the lever tho, cable sleeve maybe rusted to tube also.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Transmission with Brake cables still attached Reply with quote

The fattest part should come out of the body along with the flexible part, they may require some twisting and pulling with pliers. Look up cables on parts sellers web sites for a look at how they appear out of the bus.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Transmission with Brake cables still attached Reply with quote

Are you moving the boxes to the new transmission? If so, remove the drums and disconnect the cables from inside there.

If you’re not moving the boxes over, and planning to throw away the cables, then the rubber sheathing has a metal part at the leading edge and that slips inside and against the metal tube welded to body. It may be stuck.

And yes, the threaded leading ends can stick up front, at various spots depending on year.
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Transmission with Brake cables still attached Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Are you moving the boxes to the new transmission? If so, remove the drums and disconnect the cables from inside there.

I am. Unfortunately I don’t know if i’ll be able to loosen the axle nut with the trans already free. i had planned on just leaving the drums on intact so I was disassembling one less system.

That may be my next step though…
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Transmission with Brake cables still attached Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The fattest part should come out of the body along with the flexible part, they may require some twisting and pulling with pliers. Look up cables on parts sellers web sites for a look at how they appear out of the bus.

Cool. Thanks!

(And, yeah, I had looked at some pictures and that’s what I thought I was seeing, but wasn’t 100% certain so I thought I’d ask!)
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Transmission with Brake cables still attached Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Were the cables working before? That's the common method for removing trans, remove the bolts from the cable, the threaded end will/may hang up at the lever tho, cable sleeve maybe rusted to tube also.

They were working before. I freed them up enough that they were hanging loose below the cab but I’ll verify they’re not hung up elsewhere. Thanks!
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Transmission with Brake cables still attached Reply with quote

avocado_tom wrote:
campingbox wrote:

I am. Unfortunately I don’t know if i’ll be able to loosen the axle nut with the trans already free. i had planned on just leaving the drums on intact so I was disassembling one less system.

That may be my next step though…

I'd use one of the "knock off" tools on the axle nut to pull the drums off and disconnect the cable from that end of the system in no time before I fiddled around with the front end of the cables and pulling them out, especially if they are in ok shape and not needing to be replaced. You are going to have the extra weight of the drums and a long dangling cable to deal with fitting your old axle systems to the new transmission. That's a lose lose in my book.

Unfortunately I don’t know if i’ll be able to loosen the axle nut with the trans already free. Just put the wheel and tire back on the drum, lower the bus so the tire is on the ground and chock the tire against the rotation of the axle nut then bang away on the axle nut with the knock off tool. Either that or thread two of the lug bolts into the drum, take a crow bar to go over one bolt and under the other against the drum with the end of the crowbar on the ground to keep the drum from rotating and then start banging that nut off the axle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: