Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Rolls Royce Front End
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

OK; I sold my 72 Super Beetle, be delivering it tomorrow (6/22/21) and as always will be looking for another Bug to enjoy, fix a little, work on, custom whatever. I've seen and ran across; we have all seen them and know about them, a VW with the "Rolls Royce Front End", it's done right and the car is actually in fairly good shape. As I'm sure many of you are; True VW Classic lovers, whenever you modify the "Bug", well allot look down on that - BUT - I actually think the RR front ends look kind of cool. So, just to sway my opinion I'm asking for other opinions, comments Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

Personally I am not a fan of those at all. But its your car, so what do you like? I've had an argument in my head for years over a nice baja bug. Love them, but can't stand the fact the body is cut up. I'm usually a 100 percent stock guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

That is exactly where I am at with this, they are sort of cool, both the Baja and the Rolls, then again I hate to see the traditional Bug look changed, that is what made it a "Bug"...this one apparently and what the seller says and has records is that it was ordered from the dealer back in 72 when the previous owner bought it "?" not sure if you could have ordered such....anyway still on the fence, thanks for the reply
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

I always liked the look of the MG kit car conversion. I think the bolt on noses like the RR were a cheap repair option for a smashed front end.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

I own a 1974 Special Edition Sun Bug, so I try to stay pretty loyal to its original design. But … any other late ‘60-‘70s Bugs? Why not do as you please?

Nowadays, custom car kits for Bugs are actually kind of vintage. These kits came out years ago, and some were kind of cool. I’ve seen more than a few that were really well done, and think, “well, why not”?

It all comes down to what you want, as opposed to what some future buyer wants, or your reluctance to change a stock bug’s appearance for purity sake.

If my current VW wasn’t a Special Edition, I’d customize it with one of those 1930’s Ford front ends. Done correctly, they looked cool years ago, and they still do.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

Appreciate your honest reply Tim. I'm going to take a look at it; and if she mechanically works out I probably will pick it up; something a little different.

Again thanks to all replies. Rolling Eyes
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

They offered another hood that was 1940 Ford this in my opinion looked nice and blended well with the rest of the car.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

I always liked the tongue-in-cheek nature of the RR kits. If you do it, don't forget the ascot and cigarette holder.
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
If you do it, don't forget the ascot and cigarette holder.

and some Grey Poupon Wink

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

I had the 40 ford front end on my first VW.
The rest of the car was modded to look like a woody wagon. I liked it and the amount of extra space you get in the trunk is nice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

Now I like that
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

Back in the day, the modifications were less conflicting because there were SO MANY Beetles on the road.

Back then, modifications were a way to set that Beetle apart from the rest,
Today, the Beetle, in its original glory, does that ALL on it's own.
Today, there is NO WAY that I would modify a structurally sound Beetle, they are harder and harder to come by.

Now, if a Beetle needed MAJOR WORK to get back in to shape, rusted panels, missing fenders, cutting and welding and such, then and ONLY THEN, would I entertain any type of modification.

If it was rusting away anyway, at least it would have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th life as something a little different.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

That's a Rolls Canardley , it rolls down one hill and can hardly make it up the next.
robcy04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

I say go for it. I would never take a good stock car and modify it in that manner, but I have taken other cars that needed repair, and went totally not stock with them. Currently in the process of installing a 12A rotary in the back of my 79 SB. If it already has a RR front on it fix it up nice, and enjoy it. You know, that would an awesome place for a radiator. HMMMM.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

I may go take a look at it later this week; seller said it was ordered like that from the dealer, not sure if back in the 70s you can order the Rolls Royce front grill, but we'll see.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

itjustbugsme2 wrote:
I may go take a look at it later this week; seller said it was ordered like that from the dealer, not sure if back in the 70s you can order the Rolls Royce front grill, but we'll see.

I guess a dealer could of installed it but if they did it was not factory authorized.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

Realize that; just never heard of a "Dealer" making, selling such an offer; whatever going to check it out.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

Dealers could sell and install and paint them.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

Great, knowing that it was (possibly) installed and paint matched by a "Dealer" suggest to me that possibly the "job" was done more so in a professional manner rather than a "6 Pack of Beer" - "Let's try this", which isn't always that bad, but......well you understand my point........."hey Bobby, give me another Beer and let's try this"
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Rolls Royce Front End Reply with quote

NO BEER = NO WORK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: