Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

I just spoke with Motion Glass and was told that it was not worth their time to try and help me.

Does anyone have a reliable source for the felts/seals and a latch for these windows?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

Always glad to help out a fellow '76 Riviera owner. Very Happy

Felt:
https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-Products-04267...amp;sr=8-2

Seals:
If you're referring to the middle sliding windows, I've been told it's the same seal as any other middle window for Bays.

Latch:
Here is one of the latches....
https://www.boatwindows.com/shop-parts/#!/~/product/category=2987891&id=13097628

There is also more good info on the Riviera FAQ site:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM

Last edited by KentABQ on Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

I got the same response from Motion Windows, but I was able to buy a latch from them. That was several years ago and it looks like the latch they offer now may be different. The catch was also a problem and I had to reuse my old catch.
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

I just went through this as well with Motion Windows. They wanted $300 for the parts just because they are located in the annex where they would have to dig for them. In the end, I managed to procure the Series 900 clips from them at a reasonable price and got the other parts from online vintage trailer vendors. The key is to get on the phone with the younger guy since the one who was there originally when our busses were built will try to charge you $100 for a clip. I included the details in my spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gGlFtncq5BJ2bFhCfr0p5MsLtz3FBbL1JX6GsxtDqf8/edit?usp=sharing

Just click on the Motion Window tab at the bottom to find the parts.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
Always glad to help out a fellow '76 Riviera owner. Very Happy

Felt:
https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-Products-04267...amp;sr=8-2

Seals:
If you're referring to the middle sliding windows, I've been told it's the same seal as any other middle window for Bays.

Latch:
Here is one of the latches....
https://www.boatwindows.com/shop-parts/#!/~/product/category=2987891&id=13097628

There is also more good info on the Riviera FAQ site:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60

Thank you!

I ordered a pair of latches yesterday (although I was not happy giving my money to a business that did not find my business worth having).

I will get some felt ordered and give it a go!
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm if the right and left windows are the same layout? My passenger side has the stationary glass on the outside, the sliding glass in the middle, and the screen toward the inside. With this setup, I cannot figure out how a handle/latch would ever work.

My drivers side has the stationary glass in the middle groove, allowing room for the latch/handle.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

Interesting.
It sounds like your windows are opposite from mine.

On my Riviera, the driver's side sliding window has the stationary glass in the middle. And for the window to open, the handle attached to the glass is very different from the handle on the opposite side...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
Interesting.
It sounds like your windows are opposite from mine.

On my Riviera, the driver's side sliding window has the stationary glass in the middle. And for the window to open, the handle attached to the glass is very different from the handle on the opposite side...

My window in the passenger side looks like the image you posted. Problem is, you cannot latch it closed. It can be opened from the outside.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

That window has a strange little locking device at the top of it....

It's kind of cool since it will lock the screen and window when they're both closed. Or will lock only the screen if the window is open.
Okay... I know it's a false sense of security to have a lock on a screen...

---WildIdea

porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
That window has a strange little locking device at the top of it...

It's kind of cool since it will lock the screen and window when they're both closed. Or will lock only the screen if the window is open.
Okay... I know it's a false sense of security to have a lock on a screen...

Well.....that explains the rust stain on the window frame!

Thanks!
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

At the behest of the Wife....We purchased and installed a pair of the JustKampers sliding windows.

Zero Leaks, Locks work perfect, and (her favorite part) they do not "stick out" like the originals.

I actually kind of liked the OG windows....but its her bus. I guess I'll put these in the attic and save them incase we decide to go back to "stock" at some point.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

Can you post a couple pictures?
I'd like to see the difference between the original and the JustKampers.

Thanks!

---WildIdea

Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Riviera Window - Peninsula Glass - Motion Windows Reply with quote

My replacement slider door came with a Riviera sliding window, a couple of shots of a more intact latch:

and the drivers side slider retrofit (not sure what bus this one came out of, unless Riviera used mismatched sliding windows?)

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: