Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake light issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Brake light issue Reply with quote

Does anyone know where the brake light switches
Are physically located ? Are they up in the dash? Can they be accessed without pulling dash? Do i have to remove instrument cluster? Any help is appreciated. 1990 vanagon camper.
1990 vw automatic camper
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light issue Reply with quote

No need to pull the dash but you'll want to get the dash pod out of the way. This will require disconnecting the speedo cable and the plugs on the backs of some switches. Mine is an 84 but I think the task is quite similar on yours:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear one is easy enough but the forward one will needs a combination of a socket, extension, and possibly a wobbly or a U-joint.

Sorry, do not recall the size - metric of course but as I recall there is an SAE size that is pretty close.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light issue Reply with quote

Thanks that really helps! Do i have to worry about brake fluid leaking out when i remove switchs?
1990 vw automatic camper
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light issue Reply with quote

pushkick wrote:
Thanks that really helps! Do i have to worry about brake fluid leaking out when i remove switchs?
you don’t have to worry about it but it will run out all over.

😃
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light issue Reply with quote

I would drain the reservoir before removing the switch to reduce the volume of brake fluid that can be lost. Note that there are two switches so if one switch is bad you should still have functioning brake lights so you might want to look elsewhere for your problem.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Brake light issue Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
pushkick wrote:
you don’t have to worry about it but it will run out all over.

😃

Hehe, true and doesn't have to be a problem.

I've replaced both w.o having to rebleed. Do them separately. Have replacement switch ready. Top off reservoir (above full of ok since you will lose some) Loosen up w.wrench then switch to fingers. Just as the old switch comes out, put finger over hole. Move finger right before inserting new switch. Wipe up spilt fluid.

Notes -
On mine for the rear it helped to remove the fuse box mounting plate. The two big silver screws.

Do NOT over tighten. Too tight is NOT better. You can crack the master cylinder. The threads are tapered to create the seal so it creates an increasing force and will split the master. At least now you have an idea where to look if this happens. Ask me how I know Sad sometimes if replacements didn't have thread sealer I use a couple wraps of Teflon tape to ensure leak free and smooth tightening with lighter tightening torque. Not sure of compatibility but it never caused a leak for me

Consider buying switches from national FLAPS with lifetime warranty. They may go out after a few years and it's nice to have a quick replacement handy w.o shipping wait and cost for the extra $2 to buy local.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brake light issue Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
...I've replaced both w.o having to rebleed. Do them separately. Have replacement switch ready. Top off reservoir (above full of ok since you will lose some) Loosen up w.wrench then switch to fingers. Just as the old switch comes out, put finger over hole. Move finger right before inserting new switch. Wipe up spilt fluid...

Me too. Helps a bit to remove the cap on the reservoir, put a piece of plastic (Saran) wrap over the opening then screw the cap back on. That defeats the air vent in the cap and slows the fluid leak even more.
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light issue Reply with quote

Our brake lights stopped working. I planned to replace both switches. Could only get the front one loose to replace. That fixed the problem. Very little fluid leaked out during the replace.

Hope this may be helpful to you"
https://www.openrangeimaging.com/adventure.html
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Brake light issue Reply with quote

markf1 wrote:
...Could only get the front one loose to replace. That fixed the problem...

Yes, as I recall you only lose brake lights once both pressure switches have failed.

But isn't there a warning light that indicates that one has failed?
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Brake light issue Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their help. Just wondering why vw didnt just put one switch and why not a proximity on brake pedal arm instead of master cylinder.
1990 vw automatic camper
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light issue Reply with quote

pushkick wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their help. Just wondering why vw didnt just put one switch and why not a proximity on brake pedal arm instead of master cylinder.

Two brake circuits, two switches. The design dates back many decades and is actually pretty ingenious as the engineers didn't have to design a new bracket for the brake light switch with every new design of the car body. In 45 years of driving VWs and somewhere around 1.5 million miles I have never had to deal with one on my own VW's, knock on wood.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: