Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Misfire and Stall fault finding
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Vanagon Misfire and Stall fault finding Reply with quote

This vid popped up on my YT start page, looks like it has good info on fault finding:

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Misfire and Stall fault finding Reply with quote

Smart guy with diagnostic skills.

Plus,
He owns tools that I don't and honestly? Never will.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Misfire and Stall fault finding Reply with quote

Ha,ha,ha,.ha. Just watched it in my feed. No longer my engine but interesting.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Misfire and Stall fault finding Reply with quote

great skills and use of the scope and gas meter... but i wonder if instead of adding a ballast resistor to a "new" coil he should have checked the spec of the coil installed. there's so many different specs on these Bosch coils with the identical form factor, so maybe one with a high primary current got installed and was causing the ECU to fault.

it was great to find out that the ECU will 'multi-strike' with high coil amperage. it's another parameter i need to check out and find the baseline for.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Misfire and Stall fault finding Reply with quote

Great point. There are many different coils and they specifically list a separate coil for a Digifant or newer van. Makes you wonder if the van just has the wrong coil on it?
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Misfire and Stall fault finding Reply with quote

I think the owner threw on a significant amount of money and preferred "no parts required" repair rather than start buying "maybe this will be good now" parts.
Maybe a VW/Vanagon spacialized shop (or an advanced home mechanic Wink ) would investigate which vendor/brand/partnr coils are good to use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Misfire and Stall fault finding Reply with quote

Whatever the speculation, this guy seems a lot smarter than me and like he knows what he's doing. I'm now curious if my engine is "missing out" on running better due to an issue like this, I can't pass emissions in spite of many new sensors and a good motor.

I wonder if this thread title is not doing the video contained therein justice, I almost didn't click.

-Rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: