Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a car that I bought. I'm trying to figure out which parts are the correct years and are not. Can someone please confirm if this is a 67 convertible rear deck lid and If not what year? Also any ideas on the year of the fenders?

Thanks everyone!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Achtung360 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:41 am; edited 3 times in total
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

yes 67 vert deck lid and 67 front fenders for sure. one year only parts .
rear fenders most likely . with 68-69 tail lights mounted on em.
unless the deck lid had the vents added ? is there a rain tray ?
Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

67 deck lid for sure..and... may be a convertible version.. BUT..all depends on whats under the chrome trim. If the trim is just covering big cut holes.. then its just a 67 sedan lid with trim Laughing

Front fenders are 67
Rear fenders are probably 67 with 68/9 lamps. Bumper mounting holes will help ID those.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys I added another photo the back. Something doesn't look right but I'm new to beetles.

I'm not sure about the rain catcher but I believe the decklid is authentic though and engine matches a 67. .

Something about the backend of this car just doesn't look right. Anyone have any ideas or is it my imagination? I'm still learning.

The only issue is though.. The VIN plate at the front of the car was removed 10 years go or something 10 years ago and then it sat in a bar for 10 years. Not sure what to do about the VIN plate missing but the vin matches under the seat.
The front end clip is a 67 right?

Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:
Thanks for the reply guys I added another photo the back. Something doesn't look right but I'm new to beetles.

I'm not sure about the rain catcher but I believe the decklid is authentic though and engine matches a 67. .

Something about the backend of this car just doesn't look right. Anyone have any ideas or is it my imagination? I'm still learning.

The only issue is though.. The VIN plate at the front of the car was removed 10 years go or something 10 years ago and then it sat in a bar for 10 years. Not sure what to do about the VIN plate missing but the vin matches under the seat.
The front end clip is a 67 right?

From what you show of the car, yes, your car is a 67. Both front and rear. It seems that the taillights are upgraded and belong to a 68 bug.
To be sure that your car is a real 67, look at the VIN number on the tunnel which number should start with 157.
Can you post some better pictures of the car like the dashboard with windshield frame, or the trunk ?
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

The cars does have 157 stamped under the rear seat matching reg. Also the Engine matches H08... I had been thinking were not 67 fenders especially at the back but like I said "I'm still learning."

Fine word on the the fenders?

Thanks again guys
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

Not 1967 rear bumpers.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

I hope the VIN starts with 117-

Not 157

Yes your fenders/deck lid are correct...just wrong tail lights
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

Not 157

157 is the VIN of the convertible beetle in 1967.
117 is for the regular beetle.
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:
The cars does have 157 stamped under the rear seat matching reg. Also the Engine matches H08... I had been thinking were not 67 fenders especially at the back but like I said "I'm still learning."

Fine word on the the fenders?

Thanks again guys

From the rear end of the car, it seems you have a late 67 (as from october 66). The rear of the roof was fixed for the first time with a cable.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

^ Yep.. has the "U" lip so at least late Sep 1966 through July 31 1967 build.

67 rear fenders with newer lights

Rear bumper over rider bar (upper) should be slanted on one built that deep into model year production.

Very early 67's had straight over rider bars

Now that we know its a convertible.. the deck lid is probably real.

Does it truly have the sheet metal vents under the chrome trim>
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

Good information, learn something all the time

Herrbern wrote:
txoval wrote:

Not 157

157 is the VIN of the convertible beetle in 1967.
117 is for the regular beetle.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:
I had been thinking were not 67 fenders especially at the back but like I said "I'm still learning."

Those front fenders are definitely '67.
'67 model year was the ONLY year that had horn grills in the front fenders and vertical headlights (headlights used from '67-later). '67 was the last year VW used the horn grills and the last year they mounted the front bumper thru the front apron (no slots in the fenders). From '68-onward the front bumper was mounted thru the fender openings.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good information guys.

Car is on transport.

I seen it how you all seen it.

I'm praying, with fingers crossed that chrome on the deck lid was just pushed on over the sheet metal. There is no way from what I've seen that is not a 67 convertible deck lid. The question now is some did someone actually just cut the vents out? Have you guys seen chrome coverings for the vents before and they were they pushed on over the vents? This is a first for me.

From what you told me about the car being a late model 67 and top "being fixed with a cable." Are these bad things or good things?

Thanks a lot for the help and information so far!

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
^ Yep.. has the "U" lip so at least late Sep 1966 through July 31 1967 build.

67 rear fenders with newer lights

Rear bumper over rider bar (upper) should be slanted on one built that deep into model year production.

Very early 67's had straight over rider bars

Now that we know its a convertible.. the deck lid is probably real.

Does it truly have the sheet metal vents under the chrome trim>
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

This is all I have for dash. Can anyone make anything out of it?

Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

These are some other photos I have. The engine I was told was rebuilt about and then sat. What do you guys think of the engine?

The rims are 4 new came with the car and also sat for years in the box.
I have no idea their value. Does anyone here?

I don't want the rims and maybe not the engine either. Going to be too slow to keep up with traffic. I was considering selling it or putting it for safe keeping and putting a 2188cc engine or something similar in the car.

The car was always garaged luckily.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited by Achtung360 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify what year decklid and fenders these are Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:
I'm praying, with fingers crossed that chrome on the deck lid was just pushed on over the sheet metal. There is no way from what I've seen that is not a 67 convertible deck lid. The question now is some did someone actually just cut the vents out? Have you guys seen chrome coverings for the vents before and they were they pushed on over the vents?

I would guess they are just pushed on, like https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2424940

Achtung360 wrote:

From what you told me about the car being a late model 67 and top "being fixed with a cable." Are these bad things or good things?

Not good or bad, just noting a early/mid year change (October, I think), which will mean you need to make sure you get the right top. You will need to give you VIN when ordering, so they get one that requires the cable.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

Thanks Harry Harrymarlin

I confirmed they are just pushed on.

Anyone feedback on what the engine is worth and should I keep it? Far as I know the engine is original but it will be another thing in my garage gathering dust and maybe could pay for my new engine. Yah, the wheels anything rare and any idea on the value? Not my taste.

Thanks!

Last edited by Achtung360 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:09 am; edited 2 times in total
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:
Anyone feedback on what the engine is worth and should I keep it? Also what should I sell the wheels for? Are they anything rare or worth anything? Not my taste.

If there is a possibility that the engine is original to the car, I would not sell it - even if you don't want it, just having the matching engine would add value to the car.

The wheels are not my taste either, so I can't comment. Wink
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

Yes, in keeping engine, clean up eng. Compartment, sound board, pipes and hoses.tin..the 1500 is a good engine if properly maintained..you have a lot of work and money ahead of you...

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: