Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winterhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

Lets take a $18000 Vanagon Weekender tintop and agree it's fairly priced.

Now assuming everything is exactly equal, how much would you add to the value if it were a Westy instead?

If it were a Syncro tintop?

If it were a Syncro Westy?

Again, assuming all 4 were in exactly the same condition, but adding Westy and/or Syncro to the mix. Asking because prices are all over the place and depend on many variables, so take all those variables out and assume all 4 are in equal mechanical and cosmetic condition.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Not a how much is this Vanagon worth thread. Well maybe just a l Reply with quote

Like you said prices are all over the place because there are so many variables - not many are in 100% top notch fully restored (with added) condition to sell at those prices. I would have a hard time agreeing that $18k is a fair price for a tin top weekender - for a Westy weekender in good condition that would be a good price.

With all things being equal - at $18k for a 2wd tin top weekender the westy would be at $40k and syncro westy at $80k - not many out there that can (should) command that price tag in my opinion. Hard to theorize that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Not a how much is this Vanagon worth thread. Well maybe just a l Reply with quote

prices are all over the map no matter what.

too many things to consider.... location/demographics as well as recent work, quality of said work etc.

i'd say a camper adds 1500-2k to the price and add another 1500-2k for a syncro over the base price of a tin top 2wd. but....people seem to just throw out numbers.

someone was selling a 84 (i think) hadn't run in years tin top. asking like 8k for it. i commented that it was way too much for a van that hadn't run in years (and they listed it had clutch/trans issues) imho...that was a 1k-1500 van

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

I bought a weekender tintop for 3500 last year, and only paid that because it was minty. For 18k ANY tintop would have to come with gold plated everything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

id argue that a camper and or syncro adds more than 2k to a van, im guessing closer to 10k. Assuming were comparing apples to apples. A rust free good condition running camper will bring around 20k while a tin top with just passenger seats is closer to 10k. That is at least based on my observations out west.

Then there's the rust free camper syncro, if i could have found one of those for 4k more than a similar tintop then i never would have gone through the effort to convert my 2wd westy.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

I agree with Mitch. I think starting with an $18k number skews things though. If a fairly clean 1988 tin top is $8-10k I'd expect that if it was a Syncro it would be ~$18k. If it was a Westy I'd expect ~$16k. If it was a Syncro Westy it would be $28k.
Winterhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

leecat wrote:
I bought a weekender tintop for 3500 last year, and only paid that because it was minty. For 18k ANY tintop would have to come with gold plated everything.

You may be correct, but looking at classifieds here, CL, BaT results, eBay, etc. 18k for tintop seems to be the norm asking price foe a nice one. 8-10 k arround here buys a project that turns into 25-30k. Syncros are crazy and although desirable not worth the crazy prices in my opinion. I've been looking at and driving many tintops over the last 6 monthes and every one needed lots of money thrown at it to be average and the cheapest was 13k. I don't even bother looking at anything under 10k. Only seen about 3 advertised for that anyway and the description and pictures was enough to keep me away.. Maybe I need to look elsewhere or give up finding one.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

mitch5 wrote:
id argue that a camper and or syncro adds more than 2k to a van, im guessing closer to 10k. Assuming were comparing apples to apples. A rust free good condition running camper will bring around 20k while a tin top with just passenger seats is closer to 10k. That is at least based on my observations out west.

this

the pricing will also be really regional as well...

here in the pnw a "minty" 3500 tin top is some kind of ancient history Laughing

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

Whidbey Island, WA

what's your general cost of living and housing market out there.

you likely live in a higher priced bubble that tends to bring 'values' up as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

I suppose, in the interest of fairness, I should confess I found a desperate seller who started at 9k, lowered it to 7 in a few days and then was at 5900 when I went to look - offered him 3.5 and he turned me down flat. So I said 'Thanks anyway!' and put the cash back in my pocket. Suddenly we had a deal. Hopefully you can find someone who needs $ immediately, that's a wonderful motivator.
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

IMHO, Full Campers are always going to be at the top.

The unique interior, high quality materials, and German design
are elements that other Van conversions have never been able to match.

A tintop is no more useful (for camping) than any other domestic/import van.

Those who see the camper interior for the first time
are astonished to see a working sink, stove, refrigerator and
two beds.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:
IMHO, Full Campers are always going to be at the top.

The unique interior, high quality materials, and German design
are elements that other Van conversions have never been able to match.

A tintop is no more useful (for camping) than any other domestic/import van.

Those who see the camper interior for the first time
are astonished to see a working sink, stove, refrigerator and
two beds.

I remember getting my first close up look at a Bay camper 40 years ago and was astonished with how little space there was left inside and thus part of the reason I ended up with a Multivan a decade later.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

mitch5 wrote:
id argue that a camper and or syncro adds more than 2k to a van, im guessing closer to 10k.

i should have added that my numbers were based on 'project' or non running examples. no way would i pay 10k for a camper that sat for years and needed to be gone thru

and everyone laughed at me when i wanted an agreed value policy of 40k minimum on my 84

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

What is a weekender Tin Top? Is a Carat a Weekender ? Is any van that has a convertible rear seat a Weekender?

Don't most late late model GL vans have folding convertible rear seats? I know that I've been shown the brochure with the Weekender package added to a van.

To me a Weekender is a Pop Top van with a rear cabinet, Curtain rails and a jump seat and a Pop Top. A Multivan is close but with removable jump seats and a better color interior.

My beef here is that you were looking at an ad for a Weekender and had seen a true Weekender that you would expect those amenities. No one advertises their Carat as a Weekender even though it has a table, plastic panels and a folding rear seat.

Just call the van what it is, a XX year tin top with a folding rear bed. Don't get me started on the Generic use of the term "Zbed" There are many different styles of folding rear seats and to call everyone of them a Zbed is maddening. A Zbed is actually a converted stationary seat and rather rudely at that.

Can someone chime in on exactly which grade of vans had convertible rear seats.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

Data point:

I paid ~8k in 2019 for a fairly well Sorted 1991 tin top (well taken care of, driven daily and 10 years of service records). I considered this to be a fair price for the vehicle.

This was before covid so not sure if that has skewed prices; the westies I had been searching for at the time in 2019 seemed to command a 4-6k premium.
As an example- in the same area I saw a very clean 1984 full camper for 14k. I would have considered 12k to be a fair price at the time.

Cheers
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

According to VOLKSWAGEN, the company that made and
sold them, the original WEEKENDER Vanagons were tintops with a different interior package that included a folding bed and cushion.
NO POPTOP! Like it or not.

Mark

16CVs wrote:
What is a weekender Tin Top? Is a Carat a Weekender ? Is any van that has a convertible rear seat a Weekender?

Don't most late late model GL vans have folding convertible rear seats? I know that I've been shown the brochure with the Weekender package added to a van.

To me a Weekender is a Pop Top van with a rear cabinet, Curtain rails and a jump seat and a Pop Top. ......
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

I’ll take a stab at it.
In your scenario, with today’s market, and all things being equal …similarly equipped, as a $18k tin top would put it in the top 20%? 10%? of the nicest vans
$18 tin top
$38 camper
$55 syncro camper
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

To deviate off the topic a little bit... but would everyone pay more or less for an OEM camper vs something like a Rhino designs? All things equal, already has a VIN / paperwork that it's a Westy... I'm trying to figure out if I should stay OEM vs "upgrade". Yes, I use mine... LOL
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
To deviate off the topic a little bit... but would everyone pay more or less for an OEM camper vs something like a Rhino designs? All things equal, already has a VIN / paperwork that it's a Westy... I'm trying to figure out if I should stay OEM vs "upgrade". Yes, I use mine... LOL

Not enough information. I would pay more for one that was better than the OEM offering and less for one that was worse. Whether or not it is OEM is irrelevant to me personally.

If concerned about maximizing value, then converting a factory westy to another camper design is likely a lot less cost effective than selling a westy and purchasing a tin top van and converting it.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Not a How much is this Vanagon worth? thread. Maybe a little... Reply with quote

my. 02- OEM will hold value much better than anything custom, regardless of quality. The OEM is nice, well-designed, functional, classic, all that. If you make something custom, it's to fit your needs better which may not match the needs of others.

And I write this as somebody currently building his own cabinetry for a tintop converted to a pop top... from that perspective, my van is in pretty good shape, especially for something that spent most of it's life in the northeast. If it was a stock westy and I saw it listed here for 20k, I'd say ok that's market. As a homebrew conversion, I'd maybe ask 12k. That's with full suspension rebuild, entirely new cooling system, working air conditioning, CLK wheels, really if you went from alternator to wheel bearings in the alphabet of parts, I've updated or rebuilt 90 % of the things. That's the price difference between a factory camper and "other," at least in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: