Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is my Webber 32/36 dfav on backwards?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hodence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Is my Webber 32/36 dfav on backwards? Reply with quote

I’ve been rebuilding a 1972 type 4 engine with a Webber 32/36 dfav for a while. I had the carb off since I got the engine and put it on without much thought. (See photos) But when I was trying to sort out the throttle linkage I realized that most photos you come across have the carburetor in the other orientation.

Since I’ve jumped down the rabbit hole of google, I’ve found photos of it in both orientations. I’m more confused than when I started, if you have any experience with these carburetors, please let me know. My choke also rests almost entirely open, that’s wrong, right? And how would I adjust that? Anyways, am I a total fool who put his carb on backwards? Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Is my Webber 32/36 dfav on backwards? Reply with quote

The orientation of the carb is fine. The breather hose connector looks off. Being at 2:00. It’s probably better to flip it around to 7:00. Even better if the breather hose connected on top of the air filter. Mine comes in from the bottom like yours. Just a quick observation. I could never get that EMPI return spring and plate to operate correctly.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is my Webber 32/36 dfav on backwards? Reply with quote

Let’s see where the throttle cable enters the firewall.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my Webber 32/36 dfav on backwards? Reply with quote

It’s better to have it facing the other way because it’s easier to get to the adjustment screws that way, but it may require you to move your throttle cable or make up a linkage to work with it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my Webber 32/36 dfav on backwards? Reply with quote

If you have your primary barrel towards the front of the van you have to adjust your idle screw and choke coil by braille.

A DFAV would be a manual choke so it would not be practical to try to make the choke work. What you might want to do it buy an electric choke kit and convert your carb into a defacto DFEV.

Running the crankcase vent into the top of the air cleaner gives the hose more slope so any gooey oily condensate build up in the hose will more readily drain back into the engine after shutdown verses building up in the hose and clogging it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: