Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

On startup, bad idle; nothing changes until warmed up
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: On startup, bad idle; nothing changes until warmed up Reply with quote

So if you go back through my posts you'll see lots of issues but slowly working through them I guess. Figured out my bad idle was a throttle body which I pulled off my parts van. Van ran great then broke down again think it was a vacuum leak?

But new problems.

On start up it idles at around 700-850 poorly. I can turn the idle screw do whatever to it and nothing will change the idle when it warms up it will finally start moving the idle. Thoughts?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: On crank up bad idle and nothing done to it changes idle Reply with quote

What year Vanagon?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: On crank up bad idle and nothing done to it changes idle Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
What year Vanagon?

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: On crank up bad idle and nothing done to it changes idle Reply with quote

ok. I'm only sightly familiar with Digijet but it may be that before the engine is warmed up, the aux. air regulator is allowing enough air in that turning idle screw makes no change?

The Digijet Pro manual gives nice succinct descriptions, relationships, of parts concerned.

Digijet does have idle control devices to compensate for a load like power steering.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: On crank up bad idle and nothing done to it changes idle Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
ok. I'm only sightly familiar with Digijet but it may be that before the engine is warmed up, the aux. air regulator is allowing enough air in that turning idle screw makes no change?

Interesting I have never thought of that. I am thinking of replacing all sensors/ vacuum lines as I am hoping to take a trip for the 4th and then I have 3 music festivals in September I need this lil son of a bitch to run and not break down.

Neil.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: On startup, bad idle; nothing changes until warmed up Reply with quote

If it has a Temp II sensor like the Digifant system see if unplugging the sensor before starting on a cold engine makes a difference.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: On startup, bad idle; nothing changes until warmed up Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
If it has a Temp II sensor like the Digifant system see if unplugging the sensor before starting on a cold engine makes a difference.

I did that made it hard to start without holding the gas down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: