Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idles Great...but now power
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbunc291
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Idles Great...but now power Reply with quote

I recently acquired a 1975 Super Beetle Does anyone know what the next steps to getting a rebuilt engine in a 75 super beetle to roadworthiness? Currently Idles smooth but it does not have enough power to drive at normal speeds around the neighborhood. The engine wants to stall. Someone told me that the valves need to be adjusted but it is not loud at idle. New to the aircooled world any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles Great...but now power Reply with quote

First tell us if this VW still has the factory fuel injection system.

If it has been converted to carburetor, tell us exactly which carb and which distributor.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles Great...but now power Reply with quote

Are the brakes dragging? Try to push it on a level street by hand.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Idles Great...but now power Reply with quote

It won't run perfectly for some time after the engine is rebuilt no matter what.
The parts will require at least a couple of hundred miles to settle in. Those first miles will be slow. That's just how it is. Mine topped out at 40 mph for the first couple of weeks.
The valve gaps will be all over the place for a while so it will take a few rounds of adjustments until things settle down to near normal so don't get hung up on carb adjustments, they are the last finishing step.
I recommend an oil change after only the first 100/200 miles. Then another at 500 miles.
Get the ignition timing spot on first, then valve gap adjustments, the drive it and finally tweak carb on a hot engine if it's not running smooth.
The spark plugs will show what's happening inside the engine.Read them.
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Idles Great...but now power Reply with quote

pull the plugs check their condition.
while plugs are out do compression check
adjust the valves
get a timing light and tachometer and set the timing to 30 degrees at 3000 RPM
put on a vacuum gauge and check the vacuum. is the needle steady?
Replace the fuel filters.
check the fuel lines and replace rubber lines where necessary
Air filter clean
check for vacuum leaks
dont have the tools rent them from the auto parts.
plenty of you tube videos to help you in your quest
running with fresh gas?
rbunc291
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Idles Great...but now power Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
First tell us if this VW still has the factory fuel injection system.

If it has been converted to carburetor, tell us exactly which carb and which distributor.

It has the factory fuel injection system and the original vacuum advance distributor that was converted to electronic ignition.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rbunc291
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Idles Great...but now power Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Are the brakes dragging? Try to push it on a level street by hand.

there is a ton of travel in the brake pedal it barely stops with the brake pedal depressed to the last inch of travel.
rbunc291
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Idles Great...but now power Reply with quote

stevebaz wrote:
pull the plugs check their condition.
while plugs are out do compression check
adjust the valves
get a timing light and tachometer and set the timing to 30 degrees at 3000 RPM
put on a vacuum gauge and check the vacuum. is the needle steady?
Replace the fuel filters.
check the fuel lines and replace rubber lines where necessary
Air filter clean
check for vacuum leaks
dont have the tools rent them from the auto parts.
plenty of you tube videos to help you in your quest
running with fresh gas?

Thanks I will run through all of this. Although I saw on Chris Vallone's youtube channel to set the timing to 7.5 degrees BTDC.
rbunc291
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Idles Great...but now power Reply with quote

jarmchairpilot wrote:
It won't run perfectly for some time after the engine is rebuilt no matter what.
The parts will require at least a couple of hundred miles to settle in. Those first miles will be slow. That's just how it is. Mine topped out at 40 mph for the first couple of weeks.
The valve gaps will be all over the place for a while so it will take a few rounds of adjustments until things settle down to near normal so don't get hung up on carb adjustments, they are the last finishing step.
I recommend an oil change after only the first 100/200 miles. Then another at 500 miles.
Get the ignition timing spot on first, then valve gap adjustments, the drive it and finally tweak carb on a hot engine if it's not running smooth.

Great information thanks, Can you advise on what to tweak on a fuel injection engine?

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Idles Great...but now power Reply with quote

rbunc291 wrote:
jarmchairpilot wrote:

Great information thanks, Can you advise on what to tweak on a fuel injection engine?

I do not agree with the first sentence, because they run well. You will need to readjust the basic setting after the engine wears in. The rings will seat and create more vacuum, thus creating more opportunity for more efficient combustion. To which you will need to adjust for.

HOWEVER, tweaking on the fuel injection system is left for those that can measure CO, HC, NOx and O2. If you can do that, I can give you the info on how to tackle that task! I think I went through it in my 77 build thread. Do a search with my name and look for 77 Resurrection.

If you are unable to read those levels, take it to someone who can, AND knows old VWs.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: