Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decided to Start a Build Thread - 1973 Fastback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Decided to Start a Build Thread - 1973 Fastback Reply with quote

Forum Folks;

I realized that I have gone about my Type 3 acquisition the wrong way. I think every old car has a story that deserves to be told. So I am going to tell mine with plenty of pics.

When I was a kid, we lived in a row house. The end house family had a type 3 fastback. It was beige and cool and I always found myself looking at it. Over the years I noticed the Type 3 fastback on the road but never owned one.

I ventured into 356s and had a 56, 57, 59 Sunroof and a 61. They came and went. I had a clean 69 Ghia but that went too. Did the muscle car thing for years. Finally landed with an 81 Lancia and a 67 MGBGT. But I still thought about the Fastback. So when I decided that the BGT was too tight I went looking.

I found my Type 3 in Norfolk VA. It was posted on Craigslist. I spoke to the owner and liked the sound of the car. He said it was running when he bought it but then died and he hadn't messed with it yet. We struck a deal and I arranged Transport.

Here is the Type 3 as found and home:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After I got her home, I started checking her out. With help from forum members I learned she was an AC car.

I also started studying fuel injection and read all of the posts I could find.

Here is under the gas tank:

I started checking wiring and again forum members helped me decipher the unconnected wiring:

So up to the present; I have trouble shot much of the wiring. Removed all under tank hose while I prepare to use an Airtex E2000, with an Earls 100 Micron filter in front of the pump with FI ethanol resistant hose and FI connectors. I am still going to have Jim Adney do the original pump.

I am running new line in the back to a Russell 40 micron filter by the transaxle. I believe that 10 micron is recommended for FI but I think with the Djet- 40 micron will do. Then it's replacing all engine fuel and vacuum hose and finally check engine grounds, change the oil. Then I run through Tram's checklist for starting an FI motor that's been silent for a while.

Here are the fuel injectors on the passenger side with new hoses and seals:

Well that's where I am today. I will try and keep my posts to this thread.

Thanks to all the members who have already helped me.

I appreciate it.

Dave
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Decided to Start a Build Thread - 1973 Fastback Reply with quote

That's a nice little fasty, welcome to the forum. Cool
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Decided to Start a Build Thread - 1973 Fastback Reply with quote

So a lot has changed since I lasted posted on this thread. I decided to remove the FI, for now, convert to a factory carb set up and take care of the brakes. I have the brake stuff from ISP on the way so spent some time on the engine. I also have to circle back to the gas tank and fuel pump.

I stripped the motor and carefully boxed the FI stuff. It was cruddy and leaky and even if I decided to run the FI, I don't think removal, inspection, and cleaning would even be a bad idea. I read a post I think from Bobnotch where he said he completed an incomplete FI system by buying parts that were best of best. This tracks to what I have been told, that for FI often you'll accumulate multiples of parts until you find good operational pieces. So, I will get to that later.

Here are some motor pics. Everything is out including the harness. The case and tins are original and dirty.

There's a little fuse relay shown in the bottom of the pic that looks factory and ran to the 12v side of the resistor- not sure what that is. it was rig mounted next to the coil with a homemade heatshield underneath. I removed the MSD 5 box also.

Then I started cleaning up some parts to start mocking up the carbs. Here are the intakes I beaded and then dressed and mocked up with a carb:

I threw on a carb just to see how it looked.

Open to ideas on that relay. It also runs to a yellow box under the engine cover lip.

I also blasted the vertical tins around the manifolds and beaded and painted the bell crank for the carb linkage.

One thing that concerns me is fire risk. I have read the Car-b-que posts and it should be a concern during the build.

My fire minimization checklist:

New ethanol compatible hose
good FI hose clamps
minimize connection points for fuel
fuel filter not in the engine compartment
cleaned engine and tins
all wire ends checked and replaced.
New distributor cap and wires
low-pressure fuel pump in the factory location
Hoses up off of the engine

and in case

Fire extinguisher back and in the cockpit.

Dave
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Decided to Start a Build Thread - 1973 Fastback Reply with quote

Scorpion1110 wrote:

I think that all cars should have one, especially older cars.

Looking at the fan shroud, I see extra holes, this leads me to believe that this car had AC, and that relay you showed looks a lot like an AC relay.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Decided to Start a Build Thread - 1973 Fastback Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Scorpion1110 wrote:

I think that all cars should have one, especially older cars.

Looking at the fan shroud, I see extra holes, this leads me to believe that this car had AC, and that relay you showed looks a lot like an AC relay.

It did have AC. That makes sense on the relay. I have been checking Bentley and the web but I didn't think to check the AC wiring schematic- duh.

Did 73's have a resistor? This car has a resistor wired in and the pertonix flows through it. According to the instructions if the Coil is less than 3 ohms then a resistor is used. The Bosch coil was giving me fluctuating readings.

Could I go with a Blaster II that I have on the shelf and just go pertronix red to + and black to minus?

Trying to keep her simple to get her running and minimize issues while I learn aircooled.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Decided to Start a Build Thread - 1973 Fastback Reply with quote

Not sure, my 73 SB didn't have a resistor.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Decided to Start a Build Thread - 1973 Fastback Reply with quote

I'd look for the phenolic spacers that go between the manifolds and the carbs, since you have the long carb studs. They're for keeping the heat from boiling the fuel in the carbs. They do work very well for what they are. I run them on my 65 Notch with Solex carbs. Just a heads up.

And yes, I spent about 5 years gathering up FI stuff to eventually install it on my wife's 70 Fastback. Not being in a hurry, allowed me to gather it all up cheaper than rushing out to get it. I found some great deals on some bits of it too. By the time I was done, I had enough gathered up for 2 complete systems, and other than the FI wiring harness, a 3rd set up. I had a FI wiring harness made up for my old 71 Notch, that I eventually sold off. It was worth having done, as I had reconditioned the other 2 (mostly end replacements). The Samba classifieds helped me find what I needed.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Decided to Start a Build Thread - 1973 Fastback Reply with quote

The exterior still looks nice. Good luck fixing her.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: