Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

For a buggy. I've been using the empi one that's about 3" around and maybe about 5"tall, I subject it to a lot of dust and it seems like it "loads up" with it and I thought maybe a bigger one might be better.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

Check out the off road forum. Lots of good stuff there.

If driving in dust, avoid K&N style oiled cotton gauze filters. The K&N style works ok with a good pre-filter, like an oiled foam wrap. Outerwears also work ok with K&N style filters.

Paper is your best bet for dust control.

There are 10” aluminum housings that shield the element which cost around 50-60 bucks…but they come with a K&N style element. You can use it. Just make sure it’s well oiled. If you see dust inside at service, toss the element and find a paper replacement at you local auto parts store.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

Something like this would be an improvement: https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Donaldson/Donaldson-Air-Cleaner-28-1929.axd

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

Purchased, thanks. Looks like just what I need.

busdaddy wrote:
Something like this would be an improvement: https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Donaldson/Donaldson-Air-Cleaner-28-1929.axd
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

That’s a great style if you have room for it. Super good filtering efficiency. Just make sure you get a good seal between the carb and filter.

liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

I'm an open air tube frame buggy, I have plenty of room so I'd expect it to be an easy fit. After a couple days of cruising around I can tap the existing filter and a bunch of dust falls off the darn thing. Just seems like I needed more filter.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

I don't think that is large enough. A 1600 engine will draw up to about 120 CFM.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

Have the same one on my Buggy Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know at what pressure drop across the air cleaner that performance starts to be effected noticeably.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

It is probably more performance than you think. It doesn’t take much restriction to start hiring the volumetric effeminacy of an engine.

I think that air cleaner linked is more for outdoor power equipment, small construction equipment, and commercial mowers.

That same style is available to feed anything from small single cylinder engines, up to big industrial 12 cylinder Diesel engines. Pretty wide range of product availability.

Here is their air intake catalog.

https://www.donaldson.com/content/dam/donaldson/en...-Guide.pdf

The one thing to be aware of with two stage air cleaners like these is to not oversize them too much. The cyclonic filtration efficiency drops when there is t enough air velocity. They are kind of a Goldilocks filter. Too small and they are restrictive. Too large and the prefilter doesn’t function as well as it otherwise would.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I don't think that is large enough. A 1600 engine will draw up to about 120 CFM.

That's why I said "something like" this, I wasn't expecting him to pull the trigger on it, it was merely an example. I guess we'll find out soon, the main element may require daily removal and tapping if the cyclone misses lots of dust, or maybe it's OK, sometimes those things are under rated to allow for 25 or 50 hour maintenance schedules on stationary machines.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? (update) Reply with quote

I got that large air cleaner in today and it actually looks pretty dang good. It's marked Kawasaki so it's probably from a big side by side or something like that. The carb inlet hose in 2.375" but it shouldn't be any trouble to mke an adapter ring for it. The actual air inlet for the filter is 1.875 and it leads into a pre filter that's a type of thicker foam mesh with nylon netting around it and then to a large paper filter. The number is P821575 so I looked it up and it's these filters as a pair. For size reference, the white filter is 10.5" x 4" and the blue filter is 10.5" x 2.25" .

https://www.amazon.com/DONALDSON-P821575-P822858-FILTER-CLEANERS/dp/B01BH1UQ2W

It's got a metal mounting bracket for the whole thing and it looks like I can mount it on the top of the fan shroud and the hose will reach the carb. I'll mock it up tonight and see how it fits. All in all I think this might be just what I need for the dust problem.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you recommend for a larger air cleaner? Reply with quote

http://www.headflowmasters.com/sport-air-flow-vw-intake-filtration-system.html#.YNuIYDhKguU
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: