Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine seal replacement
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

Picking up a '72 Westy Tin Top on Friday! My last bus was the same model but with a T1 engine and that was 25 years ago.

I know that I want to replace the missing body to engine seal first. Since I'm new to the T4 world I'm wondering two things:

1) Is there a better/worse seal?
2) Can you replace the engine seal without removing the engine?

Looking at the engine removal process on https://ratwell.com/technical/EngineRemoval.html it looks like it's possible but possible doesn't always mean sensible.

Last edited by mgspeed on Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

Might want to change this title to type4 engine seal.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
mgspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Might want to change this title to type4 engine seal.

Doh! Head slap!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

You can absolutely replace the seal with the engine installed - that's how it's designed. Rubber side goes down.

It's a pretty easy job.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

Just tuck it right in!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

It can be tricky around the injectors if you have a fuel injected engine. I find one guy does the top and another helps from below using a long pair of needle nose pliers. Start at the firewall centerline and I usually go clockwise.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

It's the same engine-bay perimeter seal as for the 1972~79 VW 1600 Type 2, which can also be installed quite easily with the engine in place.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

When you someday pull the engine, first remove the seal and then mark the engine tin so you can trim it to give an even spacing all the way around. The seal will then go in with less effort and not be as damaged by time.

This is the right rear corner of my nicely trimmed engine tin, the gap is probably twice as wide as it was originally:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mgspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

Old seals soaked with oil near the oil fill can be a fire hazard.
Let's not discuss how I know this.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
When you someday pull the engine, first remove the seal and then mark the engine tin so you can trim it to give an even spacing all the way around. The seal will then go in with less effort and not be as damaged by time.

This is the right rear corner of my nicely trimmed engine tin, the gap is probably twice as wide as it was originally:

What is the purpose of that white-spigot and small-bore black hose, on the oil-filler cap? I have never seen its like before! Confused

I am also wondering about the supplementary Earth / Ground cable to the aluminium cooling-fan shroud and the strange looking green connection on the right hand side?

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

What is the purpose of that white-spigot and small-bore black hose, on the oil-filler cap? I have never seen its like before! Confused

I am also wondering about the supplementary Earth / Ground cable to the aluminium cooling-fan shroud and the strange looking green connection on the right hand side?

I take air off the fan shroud, run it through a filter and feed it into the crankcase. The fresh air keeps the humidity within the crankcase lower so there is no build up of condensate even during the coldest weather I drive in. Been doing this on my VW aircooled engines for nearly 45 years. Originally saw an article on doing so in some VW specific publication. The small size of the white fitting acts as a restrictor to keep the volume of added air low so you don't start blowing oil out of the crankcase. The system if pretty maintenance free, just a new filter every 50-100K miles.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine seal replacement Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I take air off the fan shroud, run it through a filter and feed it into the crankcase. The fresh air keeps the humidity within the crankcase lower so there is no build up of condensate even during the coldest weather I drive in. Been doing this on my VW aircooled engines for nearly 45 years. Originally saw an article on doing so in some VW specific publication. The small size of the white fitting acts as a restrictor to keep the volume of added air low so you don't start blowing oil out of the crankcase. The system if pretty maintenance free, just a new filter every 50-100K miles.

I think this might be similar in principle to the PCV system that is used on the VW 411/412LE engine.

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: