Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine flooding with fuel. DJ 2.1 1989 Auto.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxstu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Engine flooding with fuel. DJ 2.1 1989 Auto. Reply with quote

Hope you can help me.
My vanagon was running really well until a few days ago. I stopped my camper aftet a 70 mile journey and it would not restart
The issue is the fuel pump is continuously running instead of just priming for 1.5 seconds when l crank the engine. So it floods the engine so badly fuel drips out of the exhaust joints. Plugs are soaked with fuel and sooty.
So far l have tested the ECU according to the manual. Everything reads to spec apart from no OHMS reading for injectors. They should read around 16 - 16.4 according to manual when testing the ECU loom. Everthing else reads good. Both relays and temp 2. Hall sender is in spec too. Engine earths good too.
If l unplug twin cable to fuel pump l can manage to fire up engine. Lots of blue smoke and rough running. Then plugging together fuel pump power cable stalls engine.
Any advice please?
Regards
Stuart
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine flooding with fuel. DJ 2.1 1989 Auto. Reply with quote

maxstu wrote:
Hope you can help me.
My vanagon was running really well until a few days ago. I stopped my camper aftet a 70 mile journey and it would not restart
The issue is the fuel pump is continuously running instead of just priming for 1.5 seconds when l crank the engine. So it floods the engine so badly fuel drips out of the exhaust joints. Plugs are soaked with fuel and sooty.
Stuart

normally, even if the fuel pump is running continuously with the engine off, the injectors would be closed and not cause engine flooding. they can hold back the 35psi fuel pressure as set by the fuel pressure regulator.

so. you have a condition where the fuel pump relay is being held closed AND your injector pintles are being held open with either continuous 12v or a pulsed signal from the ECU. you could diagnose further with a noid light to see if the injectors are getting a steady 12v, pulsed 12v, or no 12v. or just pull an injector pair and observe the spray and chatter. need to determine if injectors are getting signal to open with only the key on and no crank signal from the distributor.

one thing... the 89 has the notorious 5 pin relay for the ECU power vs the more available and reliable 4 pin relay, #53, on previous years. do yourself a favor right now and do the relay socket mod Camz outlined that is now part of the colorized Digifant manual. page 42.

http://oldbluesblog.com/files/DigifantProTrainingManual_DoubleSided.pdf

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine flooding with fuel. DJ 2.1 1989 Auto. Reply with quote

The OP in the UK has a European DJ 2.1 which means Digijet so no worries about the 88/89 Digifant relay found on this side of the pond.

The fuel pump should run 100% of the time that the engine is turning.
Look at the injector spray as already suggested.
It should be short pulses of fine mist as the engine turns.
While the engine is stopped no fuel should be sprayed.

Mark
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine flooding with fuel. DJ 2.1 1989 Auto. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The OP in the UK has a European DJ 2.1 which means Digijet so no worries about the 88/89 Digifant relay found on this side of the pond.

Mark

Mark- your knowledge of the electrical systems on Vanagons is astounding. as has been said MANY times.

-dan

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maxstu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine flooding with fuel. DJ 2.1 1989 Auto. Reply with quote

A bit late replying to this. Yes a DJ (digijet) 2.1.
Turned out the problem was a faulty ECU. Tested and fixed for a very reasonable fee. Now running top guns.
Mant thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: